Techron or Gumout, are they the same or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Techron is BOGO at O'Reilly. I have Gumout with Regane. Are they the same with their PEA ingredient or is Techron more effective for fuel system cleaning/maintenance?

Both are good. we have a local grocery store that had the Gumout with Regane marked at $1.98...the guy was a little surprised when I was there at the register with all of them...
13.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
Both are good. we have a local grocery store that had the Gumout with Regane marked at $1.98...the guy was a little surprised when I was there at the register with all of them...
13.gif

Hmmm, which one?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dave180
Techron is BOGO at O'Reilly. I have Gumout with Regane. Are they the same with their PEA ingredient or is Techron more effective for fuel system cleaning/maintenance?

Both use roughly the same level of PEA, from what we know. There are some other small differences between them, so maybe switch between them each time.

I have had best results with Gumout All In One...smoothes out idle really well on my 1mzfe.

Originally Posted By: Donald
For most people, Techron is a PM item. Hopefully you clean the system before it effects the running of the car.

A high detergent gasoline used on a regular basis is supposed to be the best preventative maintenance.

Sometimes I wonder how a high level of solvents affects the fuel system. A typical additive added at the fuel depot is 1:2700. A 12 oz bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus added to 15 gallons is about 1:160. It's mostly the carrier solvent, although I suppose that's chosen to be a more stable petroleum distillate than ordinary gasoline.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Donald
For most people, Techron is a PM item. Hopefully you clean the system before it effects the running of the car.

A high detergent gasoline used on a regular basis is supposed to be the best preventative maintenance.

Sometimes I wonder how a high level of solvents affects the fuel system. A typical additive added at the fuel depot is 1:2700. A 12 oz bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus added to 15 gallons is about 1:160. It's mostly the carrier solvent, although I suppose that's chosen to be a more stable petroleum distillate than ordinary gasoline.

high detergent using PEA is supposed to be the best preventative maintenance.

high PBA not so good.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: dave180

Both use roughly the same level of PEA, from what we know. There are some other small differences between them, so maybe switch between them each time.

Not all PEA is the same. The biggest industrial use for PEA is to cure plastics. There are many different types of PEA, and some might even be proprietary and/or patented.

I've heard that some PEA-based formulations may even foul up intake valves. It's got to be a complete mixture designed to clean valves and clean injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back