Techron causing rough idle and low power?

With 95K miles on my Mazda3, I decided to try some Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner for the first time because ,"why not, it can't hurt anything".
Since adding the 10oz bottle it to a full tank of fuel (13 gallons), the engine now vibrates much more in idle and badly in idle with the A/C on in drive. And, the engine seems down on power and accelerating seems much slower now.
Are these symptoms of Techron's "cleaning" ability? I am expecting these issues to disappear once I fill up with new gas.

I add a bottle of Techron every time I do an oil change and so I've used dozens of bottles of Techron on a dozen different vehicles over the past 20 years and never experienced any noticeable difference in engine power or engine smoothness.

10 oz in 15 gallons is like pissing in a lake..

IF Techron is causing this problem, it'll go away on next fill. It did not dislodge anything, its a random coincidence that occurred. Random.
I've dosed some of my cars with as much as 3 bottles in the tank at a time. I was young, dumb, and praying for a miracle. After I turned 35 I realized it was snake oil and haven't used it since. Too bad because its a nice concept..

With 95K miles on my Mazda3, I decided to try some Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner for the first time because ,"why not, it can't hurt anything".
Since adding the 10oz bottle it to a full tank of fuel (13 gallons), the engine now vibrates much more in idle and badly in idle with the A/C on in drive. And, the engine seems down on power and accelerating seems much slower now.
Are these symptoms of Techron's "cleaning" ability? I am expecting these issues to disappear once I fill up with new gas.
Actually as already noted, none of those are symptoms Techron's cleaning ability whatever that may be.

So why waste your money on it?
I'm going to suggest that perhaps the reason he's not noticed a difference is because the additive is keeping the system at it's best level, and therefore it can't get "better" than where it's at; hence no discernable change. Plus, if the system is being presumably kept very clean, he's also not seeing a degradation in fuel economy over time.

Systems which don't get cleaning additives will likely see a very small and subtle change over long periods of time. They slowly get dirtier with the passing of years. Someone who then, after years of not treating the system, suddenly decided to start using a PEA product for cleaning the fuel system, might possibly see a reasonly detectable change.

So the difference is ...
- if the system is kept clean all the time using PEA, there's really no difference to notice; the system stays status-quo in a constant clean state.
- versus someone who uses the cleaner after some period of neglecting the system, may be able to tell a difference from PEA use.

PEA is not snake oil; it is effective at it's job. The Gumout experiment which wwillson went to a few years back was very convincing in it's ability to clean the injectors and the cumbustion chamber; there's an older write up on it here somewhere on BITOG. However, you have to understand that PEA does not work miracles overnight generally; it cleans slowly and methodically. It's very doubful that anyone would easily notice and change over a day or even a week using the typica doses. The cleaning take place so slowly that it's hard to discern unless used and uber-high concentrations; not recommended. Gumout had a produce called "One and Done"; it was their highest concentration of PEA in bottle form, made to be used once a year, but they took it off the market. Why? Probably because selling one bottle a year versus selling one for every OCI makes for different sales opportunities. They do have a high-mileage version now; probalby just a higher does of PEA. I contacted them once to find out how much PEA was in each product by concentration level; they would not tell me; otherwise I could figure out how many bottles of one equaled another ...

BTW, the PEA in Gumout is the same active ingredient in Techron.

The key to using PEA is more as a preventative measure than an reactive afterthought. If used regularly it can aciheve it's task much easier and with more consistiency than trying to dump a lot in after a few years of doing nothing.

Last edited:
So why waste your money on it?
It's worked for me. I put a bottle in the tank of my wife's old RAV4 when it had about 320k miles on it and didn't tell her. She came home from work and told me that whatever I did, the old gal was running much better.

Used on a regular basis, I wouldn't expect to notice any changes if it keeps the fuel system running like new.

Hi - I have successfully used Techron for many years on various vehicles, about twice per year, along with Top Tier fuel. However, 2 years ago I had the same experience you on my 2006 Honda Accord. It occurred just after adding Techron, and I was concerned that it might stall in intersections - a safety hazard. I changed my route & was able to get highway miles with harder accelerations to next appointments - my idea was to get it fully warmed-up and hopefully clear the injectors. ...But that did not help! Later that same day, I went back to the same gas station and topped-off the 1/4 tank I had consumed, and it started running normally within 0.2 miles of exiting the gas station! I was puzzled by that experience, and did not use Techron until this month - it helped smooth the idle a bit.

Despite my similar one-time experience, if you have not previously used fuel cleaner in this vehicle before, then it might be worth running it on the highway, getting it thoroughly warmed-up, and trying some hard accelerations to aid the cleaning process. If that does not help, then dilute it with fresh gas to try to get it running correctly. Perhaps you can try again in a few weeks with a half-bottle, on the assumption that Techron is actually 'cleaning', but a full-dose is too much for now...(??)

Q: Did you follow the instructions exactly - adding Techron to nearly empty tank, and then filling completely with gas?

1. You're missing the point - using it regularly from the start means the engine is still running like new = no loss of power or roughness = no difference in performance.

2. It's $5...*** do I care?
Well, I've had hundreds of cars and never used the stuff and the engines are still running like new too without spending an extra $5 on each one for some miracle in a bottle.

Enough of the personal bickering.
Each person can have their own anecdotal experiences, none of which invalidate another's experience(s).

As for the product iteself (more particularly, the PEA), that is a proven science. How well it works in each application will depend upon a host of things which may or may not apply to the next guy. Duration of use, time of application, quality of fuel used through the lifespan of the vehicle, driving habits and environment, doesage concentrations, etc ... these all play into it.

Yes, I followed the instructions on the bottle. It's just like how I add 2-cycle oil to my Rx-7.
When pouring it, I was surprised at how viscous it was, like 2-stoke if I had to estimate (maybe someone can find the viscosity to see). This is the base "carrier" oil I assume.
I'm guessing that the engine isn't too happy trying to combust the oil? I don't doubt the PEA has cleaning ability, that's why I bought the Techron in the first place :D

Last edited:
Yes, I followed the instructions on the bottle. It's just like how I add 2-cycle oil to my Rx-7.
When pouring it, I was surprised at how viscous it was, like a Xw-40 motor oil if I had to estimate (maybe someone can find the viscosity to see). This is the base "carrier" oil I assume.
I'm guessing that the engine isn't too happy trying to combust the oil? I don't doubt the PEA has cleaning ability, that's why I bought the Techron in the first place :D
I have always had issues whenever i used the stuff. I swore it off. I had also noted loss of power and harsh running that did go away with the next tank - if the next tank was clean fuel. Same with Gumout Regain

Last time I used it on a Nissan Rogue Select, I had long crank delayed or slow staring where I never had that issue before. That persisted for months.
I swore it off and I just tried to run clean, top tier fuel - hard to find clean fuel in my area. E10 is garbage much of the time.

Also, With 95K on the clock, Have you changed the sparkers yet? Next week may be the time.

Last edited:
When pouring it, I was surprised at how viscous it was, like 2-stoke if I had to estimate (maybe someone can find the viscosity to see). This is the base "carrier" oil I assume.
I don't think it's supposed to be that thick, but I've never bought any from the store.
I had some commercial concentrate stuff once, and even IT wasn't real viscous.

Looks like the base oil for Techron has a Viscosity: 1.522 mm²/s at 40°C . So it's not "thick" like 2-cycle oil.
I changed the plugs at 75K miles with OEM replacement NGK iridiums.
I will update when I fill up again, I'm looking forward to it, Lol

I have always had issues whenever i used the stuff. I swore it off. I had also noted loss of power and harsh running that did go away with the next tank - if the next tank was clean fuel. Same with Gumout Regain

Last time I used it on a Nissan Rogue Select, I had long crank delayed or slow staring where I never had that issue before.
I sower it off and I just tried to run clean, top tier fuel - hard to find clean fuel in my area. E10 is garbage much of the time.

Also, With 95K on theclock, Have you changed the sparkers yet? Next week may be the time.
I know it goes over bad here but I have had the same issues.
So I don't use any of it.
But after the next tank is half gone it is back to normal. Tried it on many vehicles. Now just TT fuel when possible

TT should be "good enough" as far as detergency and maintaining a clean fuel system, valve head and CC.
That is why it was rolled out. I have had owners manuals in the past requiring TT fuel (!) that notice seems to have disappeared
I forget now if that was Toyota or Nissan.

For those wish to roll the TT dice, the use of PEA "regularly" would likely have the best results over once every 50K.

Live and Let Live ! - although with just a tiny bit of BITOG harrassent :)

Last edited:
Back