Technical

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Nissan Versa 1.6L with a RE0F11A CVT, Came in with a check engine light, Had a P0705 set in the TCM....Range Switch Circuit A Fault.

Basically, The TCM detected the range switch had output 2 positions at once.

Scan data showed a perfectly working Range Switch.....Back-up lamps work, Brake Input also fine. Along with the LCD indicator on the dash.

Cleared the TCM codes Key On-Engine Off, Code returned immediately upon restart.

This isn't a knock against Nissan.....But I've personally had issues with about EVERY one I work on, Whether it be lack of good/accurate repair information or my scan tools not liking them.
I use a Snap-on Solus Ultra for vehicles I don't have OEM software for.....Which is GM & Ford only at this time.

Of course.....P0705 diagnostic information will have me ohming wires & sampling/monitoring voltages for the rest of my life. Not something I'm going to do with a system that appears to be working as designed.

Idenifix/Direct Hit mentioned (several times) that corroded connections, Broken wires, Or burnt out back-up lamps can cause this code.....The TCM looks for a ground return through the incandescent bulbs in ALL ranges besides reverse! Makes sense & not really a terrible way to sanity check a circuit! But the BU lamps work perfectly, Are bright, And nobody installed LED's that would mess with the ground return back to the TCM!

GM is about the only make I work on that allows a Key On-Engine Running clearing of powertrain codes & the Solus specifically said too clear the TCM codes Key On-Engine Off on this Nissan which I didn't give a second thought to considering past experiences.

I tried clearing the TCM codes Key On-Engine Running....Code cleared!!!!!, And passed inspection, Charged the customer for a Diagnostic (1 hour) & the State Inspection. Advised him that the RE0F11A is on it's last leg as it's shuddering on take off! Yes....I topped off the CVT fluid & it didn't help!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
. Advised him that the RE0F11A is on it's last leg as it's shuddering on take off! Yes....I topped off the CVT fluid & it didn't help!

How many miles are on it?

To me what separates the great to only good mechanics is their diagnostic skills. Granted this was an easier fix but you explaining the thought process and the fundamental understanding of how the electrical system works I think separates you from most of the mechanics I've dealt with.

Good job.

Clinebarger really sounds like a real diagnostician. Around here, you can throw parts at it ( i have done that at times , but i try to figure it out first with google searches) or you can go to the mechanic or dealer and pay them to throw parts at it at triple the cost.

I bet most mechanics can't figure out the electrical things you do.

Last edited:
Nice work Chris … but I can't figure out why the world needed CVT. Everything else has moved up to 6 speed, 8 speed, 10 speed, etc … and with the torque our modern engines have ? … smooth power delivery without all the howling.

I rent lots of cars with CVT … not my thing

Originally Posted by jhs914
Clinebarger, you should start your own YouTube channel like Eric O at South Main Auto!

^^This^^
I enjoy your investigatory approach to your diagnosis and repairs!
thumbsup2.gif

Clinebarger, you should start your own YouTube channel like Eric O at South Main Auto!

And get 1/2 the work done because you have to take the time to record then edit and upload and whatever else. Of course maybe at some point he could be as popular as Scotty K and be a millionaire!

Originally Posted by JTK
Sorry if I missed it, but what caused the range sensor code in the first place?

I don't know......According to Direct Hit/Identifix, The Back-up lamps, Connections, & wiring are the most common cause of P0705. Even if one bulb went out, It could alter the expected voltage on the circuit which the TCM monitors.
A bulb could have been burnt out & got replaced.....Not knowing that the DTC & SES light was related?

The customer wanted his car to pass state inspection & with the trans acting like it is.....I didn't feel it was in good form to investigate the issue further & have to charge more diagnostic time.

My scan tool kinda tripped me up a little, Just passing on what to try in a situation like this.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

And get 1/2 the work done because you have to take the time to record then edit and upload and whatever else. Of course maybe at some point he could be as popular as Scotty K and be a millionaire!

Yeah....That's not going to happen.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Nice work Chris … but I can't figure out why the world needed CVT. Everything else has moved up to 6 speed, 8 speed, 10 speed, etc … and with the torque our modern engines have ? … smooth power delivery without all the howling.

I rent lots of cars with CVT … not my thing

I have 292,400 miles on my CVT.... Granted very easy operating conditions... 95% or more open highway driving... That helps keep overall operating temp down for sure.

The vaunted "reliable" 4 speed automatic transmission in my mom's 99 Ford Expedition broke totally not once but two times in fact... The original transmission went out at less than 120k miles.. the second one was going out at 170k miles though it was a new Jasper...

I do not believe high torgue is the issue... In fact I believe it is a transmission programmed poorly from the factory in combination with too small a motor with not enough low end torque that is the real issue with these 1.6L, 1.8, 2.0 motors paired with a CVT....
I'd bet a 3.0-3.5L motor paired with a properly programmed CVT from the factory will perform much better with far less issues.

Wow, that sounds like something you'd find on a Mercedes - which uses grounds through the brake light bulbs to sense when to disengage the cruise control.

All the reason not to install LEDs in critical lighting circuits.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by JTK
Sorry if I missed it, but what caused the range sensor code in the first place?

I don't know......According to Direct Hit/Identifix, The Back-up lamps, Connections, & wiring are the most common cause of P0705. Even if one bulb went out, It could alter the expected voltage on the circuit which the TCM monitors.
A bulb could have been burnt out & got replaced.....Not knowing that the DTC & SES light was related?

The customer wanted his car to pass state inspection & with the trans acting like it is.....I didn't feel it was in good form to investigate the issue further & have to charge more diagnostic time.

My scan tool kinda tripped me up a little, Just passing on what to try in a situation like this.

Got it. Thanks.

Given I own a 2015 Versa 1.6, I've done a bunch of reading on them and have heard of the taillamps causing all sorts of weird codes and driveability concerns on these. On other Nissans as well.

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess given I own two Nissans and a Ram. LOL!

I specifically bought the Versii earlier this year because it's got the 4spd auto and fit the budget. Can't get'em that way anymore given 2017 was the last model year for the 4spd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back