Tdi intercooler icing - damage?

old volvo's come with a hole drilled from the factory and the intercooler is plumbed backwards because the even older volvo's would take a gulp of water and die

I would’ve put a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt and spun it by hand several revolutions to make sure it wasn’t hydro locked.
There is a big chance that someone at the dealer will start it anyways or at least attempt to, to get it into the bay. These guys don’t exactly pass on information effectively between each other.

I would’ve put a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt and spun it by hand several revolutions to make sure it wasn’t hydro locked.
There is a big chance that someone at the dealer will start it anyways or at least attempt to, to get it into the bay. These guys don’t exactly pass on information effectively between each other.
Yes I did think about that, but I was told by the service advisor they pushed it in and did confirm I need the new revised intercooler, which long story short, will be covered under warranty after some back and forth... Based on what they told me, the engine is fine, and as I have mentioned, others who've had the start and die scenerio like me have powered through and the engine was fine, so the likely hood of damage from some small water ingestion would be very small. I should have the car back by end of day today and will report back

I should note, that this is the first time I have had the car die after start, but it's definitely not the first time it ingested water, as I have had hard starts in the last few months and the engine has stumbled after starting to drive it... It actually stumbled quite badly one day for the first few hundred meters and then cleared itself up, but at the time I didn't know what was going on as I had not read up on the intercooler issue at that point. Also, who knows how many times it happened before I owned the car, as I'm sure this wasn't the first winter this happened, so who knows how much water the engine has actually ingested up to this occurance

Last edited:
Yea I wouldn't think a small amount of water could do much damage, but 700ml, i'm sure that could've had I tried to just keep cranking... regardless, I was told the new intercooler is fitted and i'm picking the car up today, i'll report back with how it runs but should be motoring on as usual

So I got the car back, they did the TSB and it drove fine

But

I know how warranty works, the techs and dealership doesn't get paid as much, so they work like animals, where do I start

They took the bumper off, didn't put it back correctly, some gaps showing. They took the headlights off and scratched both, they broke a bolt that holds the headlight bracket on, and didn't fix it, the passenger headlight wasn't put pack properly and there was a nice big gap showing and finally, they broke the bracket that holds the coolant heater hose to the grille piece, so the holder was just hanging there

I can't even begin to describe how I feel. I've worked in dealerships, and I know they're bad, but I can't believe they've gotten this bad.

I've remedied all these issues myself, less the grille bracket, that I have to order, and luckily it's only 8 bucks because I had to order it before, but man...

Back