TD Bank -- unreliable and insecure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yonyon

Am I overreacting? Is it be normal for any bank to ignore an ATM doing that and let it continue?

Are you kidding? I'd have closed my account that day. The management at the Credit Union I do business with would NEVER have acted so irresponsibly.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I don't deal with large banks so I can't comment, but the small local banks and credit unions I do business with are very responsive to ATM problems.

I'm with you. Why anyone would have an account with BOA (for a myriad of reasons) is beyond me. Even if you travel a lot, you can still get cash and manage your finances with a local depositor owned credit union.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I don't deal with large banks so I can't comment, but the small local banks and credit unions I do business with are very responsive to ATM problems.

I'm with you. Why anyone would have an account with BOA (for a myriad of reasons) is beyond me. Even if you travel a lot, you can still get cash and manage your finances with a local depositor owned credit union.

Really? Sure, you can do banking online... But get cash? Some will refund ATM fees, but there is a cost to that in terms of cash you have to have in poorly performing, lowest-yielding accounts. Maybe not the best.

I wouldnt have an account with a BOA or similar either. When TD was commerce, they were a smaller local bank.

But I dont think it is just that easy to get cash at a low cost.

Maybe the touch screen is simply failing.

I have had TD Bank for at least 10 years and very happy. They makes things right if you speak to bank manager or even call their service.

A real nicety for me not realizing what TD(Toronto Dominion) was and traveling to Canada. Not exchange fees at teller or ATM fees using a US TD ATM card.

My Credit Union (Air Academy) pays all ATM fees and since I use online bill pay, they pay 1.5% for checking accounts! Can't beat that as far as a checking account, and they have no fees at all. That's batter than most savings account rates these days! Many of the military based credit unions are similar, and it's fairly easy to open an account if you've had family members in the military.

It is surprising that the bank knows about the ATM glitch and has allowed it to be used. For fraud reasons, the bank managers, et. al. will not have access to the ATM but they could have placed a call to the ATM operators and then stuck a piece of paper on it informing the customers.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
A real nicety for me not realizing what TD(Toronto Dominion) was and traveling to Canada. Not exchange fees at teller or ATM fees using a US TD ATM card.

As an aside, the fees and incentives at the American TD are much more attractive than they are at the Canadian TD.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Really? Sure, you can do banking online... But get cash? Some will refund ATM fees, but there is a cost to that in terms of cash you have to have in poorly performing, lowest-yielding accounts. Maybe not the best.

I wouldnt have an account with a BOA or similar either. When TD was commerce, they were a smaller local bank.

But I dont think it is just that easy to get cash at a low cost.

I have no problems traveling and getting money. My Visa card threw my local credit union also doubles as my ATM card and they refund all AMT fees.

All banks today offer poor interest rates on money; err well good interest rates if your borrowing.

Originally Posted By: Garak

As an aside, the fees and incentives at the American TD are much more attractive than they are at the Canadian TD.

Can you give an example of this?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Free cheque clearing (and other transaction fees) in the States begins with something like a balance of $150. Up here, it's what, $1500?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Free cheque clearing (and other transaction fees) in the States begins with something like a balance of $150. Up here, it's what, $1500?

$100. Up until last year my account (opened in Delaware) had a $0 minimum! But it was all leftover from the commerce bank days. TD is laying the fees on as fast as nobody will notice... Kind of like boiling a frog.

I worked for 10 years for one of the above mentioned institutions. More specifically in a network engineering role.

That ATM was having techincal issues with the touch screen and should have been put offline. But chances are, the branch staff has very little control over it. At most they can stock and reconcile the machine. Other then that they have to call an ATM help desk to work on and dispatch a technician fornthe ATM itself.

Myself I use USAA, a small local bank and a couple credit unions. I dont keep all my eggs in one basket. And the Mastercard Debit Card I have for my checking account never sees anything but a well known and established ATM machine.

I didnt use credit cards for years, until I purchased an airline ticket with my debit card that I use for online transactions. A week after purchasing a $650 ticket the airline went under. I learned that the protections on a debit card are not the same as a credit card. Picked up a couple small cards for use online and with retail transactions.

Also, I avoid using them with a retailer that has a computer based POS machines and try to use cash as much as possible. I've done a few too many PCI audits and its just floors me how some "reputable" companies have the illusion of basic information security practices in place.

Also, from professional experience. I never give a CC number out over the phone. Would rather do the transaction online.

In closing, I didnt work for TD.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
TD is laying the fees on as fast as nobody will notice... Kind of like boiling a frog.

Maybe they're trying to introduce Canadian banking fees.
wink.gif

Up here, most banks require anywhere from a $1500 to $2500 minimum balance to waive fees. Where they offer a monthly flat rate to cover a set number of fees, they don't tend to be even remotely worth the cost unless you use your bank card once or twice a day, every day. The credit unions are a little better in that respect.

Up here, consumers complain about bank fees. They haven't seen bank fees until they run a business. That's when it's time to run from the banks and head to a credit union.

CIBC up here, for instance, on business accounts, charges per item in each deposit (i.e. five separate cheques in one deposit, five separate item fees), plus tosses on a "transaction charge," as if it were distinct from the deposit charges. If you deposit cash, they keep a certain percentage of the total of bills deposited, and a higher percentage of coin deposited, plus they charge a transaction fee.

For one of my holding companies, they were charging over $10 per month, and that was with only two transactions per month. Needless to say, I didn't tolerate that for long before I closed that account down and moved it to where my other business accounts are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back