Tax Question: which tax software version to purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out which version of tax software to eFile with...

In TY2003 and part of TY2004, I ran a sole proprietorship small business, filed under a Schedule C. I gave it up in mid-04. As a result, I didn't re-up any city or county business licenses due by the end of 2004. So, there's nothing on my tax records in 2005, etc.

Do I need to fill out any tax documents in TY2005 that shows the business "closed up shop". If I do, I'm thinking I should purchase the H&R Block Business product for $79.99. If I don't have to file any paperwork like that, would it be just as well to purchase the lesser Deluxe product for $29.99? It would be nice to keep the $50 in my pocket...

TIA,
Mike

Which version..the more expensive Business version or the standard-issue, non-business versions which cost substantially less?

I used to use Turbo Tax until they decided to incorporate C-Zilla as a copy protection scheme WITHOUT telling the customer! It took me 50 minutes for them to give me a new access code so I could reinstall the software on my PC!! They sold it as "less than 5 minutes with online support". I wasn't too happy. Switched to Tax Cut since they don't play these games with their customers.

It's TaxACT for me. I'm disgusted with TurboTax updates that don't load and their copy protection scheme. And I think H&R Block, which produces TaxCut, is less then reputable.

TaxACT deluxe has the JKLasser online help which should answer your question about shutting down a business.

A few years ago I used Turbo Tax. Manually checking turned up a missing tuition deduction in the program.
I called cust svc. They were all too happy to give me a full refund. They had no interest whatsoever in details about the error.
Six months later - about October I got a small postcard in the mail from Turbo Tax addressed to all customers. It had a brief statement along the lines that if you lived in NY and you had tuition expenses, your return may have errors so please check your return since you may have to file an amended return.
I later found out that even this lame attempt at correcting their error was forced upon them by the NYS AG.
Hardly my idea of an honorable company.
I would never trust them again.

Turbo Tax for me. I switched to Tax Cut 1 year - and will never stray from Turbo Tax again. I pick up my copy at Costco every year -- when they have their $10 rebate.

I've been using H&R Block's online tax system for 5 years. It's cheap, correct refunds, and they keep my tax info on file for me.

I prefer TaxCut, because the layout of how it works is the same each year, it's cheaper than TurboTax, and it's available mid to late November (great for checking whether or not you are under withheld). TurboTax is constantly changing and you have to waste a lot of time learning a new software program each year. Download the basic TaxCut program for $9.99. It can handle complex returns, including reporting for Subchapter-S corporations and tax shelters. It's a deal!

[ March 13, 2006, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: TxGreaseMonkey ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back