Tax question regarding selling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
So, how long have you owned the shares of stock?

? share price today? Had to ask...

I have Apple at cost basis @ $48.00 per share, I'm not selling now!

On 6/29 I purchased 1014 shares @ $1.70 per share. Today, it closed at $6.61 per share.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Nice score! As Sayjac said, it's taxed as normal income.

Next time you have a hunch, maybe you can share with your BITOG friends?

I'm in no position to tell people what to do with their money. The farm bill has language regarding hemp & CBD oil. My uncle has a vested interested in a similar company and recommended that I buy. I bought 1014 shares @ $1.70 per share.

Recently, I got an amazing promotion, my wife has a healthy pregancy, and this stock. I rarely feel this lucky!

MY 2nd floor HVAC system is 22 years old. These funds will cover that expense in full as of now. It's an expense that I planned for when I purchased my home last year.

I bought Canopy a few weeks ago. It's up about 30%.

4978.74 profit

Taxed at your annual or yearly tax bracket if sold before 6/28/19. If sold after 6/28/19 you most likely would pay flat 15%.

I'm not a tax accountant, but figure out what tax bracket you fit in for this year "IF you can" What you want to try and avoid is bumping yourself up into the next tax bracket. You might need to do a little paper n brain work.

Nice score! As Sayjac said, it's taxed as normal income.

Next time you have a hunch, maybe you can share with your BITOG friends?

I'm in no position to tell people what to do with their money. The farm bill has language regarding hemp & CBD oil. My uncle has a vested interested in a similar company and recommended that I buy. I bought 1014 shares @ $1.70 per share.

Recently, I got an amazing promotion, my wife has a healthy pregancy, and this stock. I rarely feel this lucky!

MY 2nd floor HVAC system is 22 years old. These funds will cover that expense in full as of now. It's an expense that I planned for when I purchased my home last year.

I bought Canopy a few weeks ago. It's up about 30%.

"Should'nt you finish putting up the other 70%" lol!

Basically, stock held less than 1 year is taxed as regular income.
Currently, long term (held over 1 year) capital gains are taxed at 15%.

In sunny CA, I pay 15% to the Feds and 10% to the governor.
I just wrote 2 big fat checks to cover sales made earlier this year...
Paying lotsa taxes is a nice problem to have.

Congrats on your windfall.

Last edited:
Most of my income comes from trading in my own accounts.

You will pay short-term capital gains on the gain, minus the trade fees. And state taxes will apply, but not local earned income taxes (if you have them). Whatever you make this year, the stock gains will be taxed like you made that amount on top.

That is an incredible pop you have there, it's definitely not that easy to make buys that work that well. I've done it though, I play in this space. Unless you have some inside information that more great catalysts are coming, sell at least half of it asap. Gains like that on speculative stocks almost never hold up.

You need to determine the exact tax rule in the state you live in.

Generally speaking, the dates are important at two points in a stock transaction.

The date you bought it. Along with all brokerage fees, this determines the value for tax purposes.

The date you sold it. This determines the net gain or loss, both of which have tax implications.

Generally speaking (check to make sure in your jurisdiction) "real" assets can depreciate over time while all other assets do not. So, say, a machine you use to earn income, you may be able to write off 20% per year (just an example) for the taxable value each year.

For other assets, like stocks and bonds, they neither wear out nor are instruments to earn income they are investments. So valued the day you buy and the day you sell and taxable on that basis in the same tax year.

It's a really, really crazy idea to ask these questions here on BITOG, or anywhere in the internets, for that matter. If you have tax and investment questions, ask someone who knows about these things and someone local so you get the right advice.

Long story short.

2 months ago I bought stock for $2200 online, using Ally. As of today, it's worth $7000 total including initial purchase of shares.

If and when I choose to sell:

Does length of ownership play a role in % taxed? Similiar to capital gains on a home (2 yrs)?

What precentage will I pay on gains?

What more info do you need?

FYI the stock is CVSI.

Yes, as others have stated there's two tiers that you'll pay depending on how long you hold.

If you don't mind me asking, what stock did you purchase? I put a little cash in AMD 3 months ago and have gotten a good return, makes me wish I put a [censored] of a lot more in it.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Long story short.

2 months ago I bought stock for $2200 online, using Ally. As of today, it's worth $7000 total including initial purchase of shares.

Does length of ownership play a role in % taxed? Similiar to capital gains on a home (2 yrs)?

FYI the stock is CVSI.

Yes, as others have stated there's two tiers that you'll pay depending on how long you hold.

If you don't mind me asking, what stock did you purchase? I put a little cash in AMD 3 months ago and have gotten a good return, makes me wish I put a [censored] of a lot more in it.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Long story short.

FYI the stock is CVSI.

Oh jeeze
33.gif

You can offset an unlimited profits with losses, first using like short term to short term, long term to long term, then long term profits with short term losses, after that if there is any losses left, they are then rolled to offset taxable income up to $3,000 per year, any unused losses are rolled over to the following years according to the same procedure.

The long-term rate isn't necessarily 15%. L/T gains are progessively taxed at 0% for the bottom 2 brackets; 20% for the top 2 brackets, and 15% for the remaining middle brackets.

Couples who make under $100k will see an effective rate much lower than 15%. More like 0-4%.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
The long-term rate isn't necessarily 15%. L/T gains are progessively taxed at 0% for the bottom 2 brackets; 20% for the top 2 brackets, and 15% for the remaining middle brackets.

Couples who make under $100k will see an effective rate much lower than 15%. More like 0-4%.

I'm married, file joint taxes. One income, $65k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back