Taurus got tires and aligned

About **** time, this car hasn't been aligned since it was assembled in late '05

2006 Taurus, 67k on it

PXL_20210117_215715548.jpg

My sister's car that she uses for around town commuting

It had a mismatched set of circa '13 Primacy MXV4 and slightly newer Premier A/S, and standard Taurus collapsed suspension

PXL_20210116_212047018.jpg

It got Motorcraft quick struts in the front, KYB in the rear, gave it about a month or so to settle and readjust

It went in today, went for Continental TrueContact Tours, because I had good luck with OG TrueContacts on a 300 we had

I specified an H rating, for the A temp rating and mandatory end cap ply, 215/60/16

Considering this car has had exactly 0 suspension or alignment work in 16 years (my dad is "frugal" as he calls it), I think it's doing alright

Several people including myself went through the front end with a pry bar, and found nothing wrong

All it's had was 4 quick struts and front sway bar links, and alignment

Which I'm not exactly happy with, because the only factory adjustment you get is front toe

These were the results
PXL_20210117_200407090.jpg

They told me not to sweat it, and that it shouldn't affect tire wear much, but me being me I don't like it

I don't think it's an emergency, but I'm 3 months or so when it warms up I will probably want to address it

Anyone have experience putting camber plates on the front of Taurus/Sable?

Looks like drill out some spot welds and install the plate, you don't even need to pull the strut down?

What about rear camber/toe adjustment cams in place of the bushings?

About **** time, this car hasn't been aligned since it was assembled in late '05

2006 Taurus, 67k on it

View attachment 41136

My sister's car that she uses for around town commuting

It had a mismatched set of circa '13 Primacy MXV4 and slightly newer Premier A/S, and standard Taurus collapsed suspension

View attachment 41137

It got Motorcraft quick struts in the front, KYB in the rear, gave it about a month or so to settle and readjust

It went in today, went for Continental TrueContact Tours, because I had good luck with OG TrueContacts on a 300 we had

I specified an H rating, for the A temp rating and mandatory end cap ply, 215/60/16

Considering this car has had exactly 0 suspension or alignment work in 16 years (my dad is "frugal" as he calls it), I think it's doing alright

Several people including myself went through the front end with a pry bar, and found nothing wrong

All it's had was 4 quick struts and front sway bar links, and alignment

Which I'm not exactly happy with, because the only factory adjustment you get is front toe

These were the results
View attachment 41138

They told me not to sweat it, and that it shouldn't affect tire wear much, but me being me I don't like it

I don't think it's an emergency, but I'm 3 months or so when it warms up I will probably want to address it

Anyone have experience putting camber plates on the front of Taurus/Sable?

Looks like drill out some spot welds and install the plate, you don't even need to pull the strut down?

What about rear camber/toe adjustment cams in place of the bushings?
I had three of these for company cars. Ford did a VERY POOR job putting these together to allow for alignment.

I wouldn't sweat that camber at all. In my experience, anything up to -2 wears pretty evenly. The toe would kill tires faster and they're *okay* right now (although I would nitpick on the passenger rear one.)

I had one of those cars, and I've heard of the camber plates. Was the shop not able to use them?

My current vehicle (2017 Mazda CX-5) has .14 toe on the left rear, .01 on the right rear for total toe of .15 (dead center). I was sweating it when I got the alignment sheets back, but after posting around it seems that as long as total toe is good you shouldn’t have too many issues. Only 1200 miles on the tires, but show no signs of wearing unevenly on the inner shoulder on the right or outer on the left tire. Not yet, at least!

Back