tap water

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use RO/DI water in my engines. I make it daily so it is no big deal. It (RO/DI) has no TSD in it, which I like.

Gary, it's true that DI water will do nasty things and should never be run in pure form for any appreciable length of time in your cooling system. But when mixed with antifreeze it is harmless and is one of the most desirable solutions in your cooling system.

TSD? That's a acronym that I haven't heard before ..well, I have, but it meant Technical Support Document.

Its all very simple! Do what Ray said above and use the distilled water! It will set you back about $3 and is the proper way to do the job.

Tap water contains all sorts of things that will clash in a cooling system, not limited to flourides. Its amazing that people can be so lazy and not do things correctly. Amazing!

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
Gary, it's true that DI water will do nasty things and should never be run in pure form for any appreciable length of time in your cooling system. But when mixed with antifreeze it is harmless and is one of the most desirable solutions in your cooling system.

Thanks, Kestas. That makes sense there. I knew that my reservations had some merit somewhere ..even if not applicable to this situation.

Amkeer -
smile.gif
This distilled water thing is like flushing brake fluid. There has just been too many people who never heard of it or found it necessary for decades ...scores even. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea ..just one that isn't easily adopted.

I would do it just because I think that we've, for some reason, devolved in cooling system integrity ..even with normal maintenance. OTOH, it may just be that we're extending our service life so much ..and don't really integrate it as being that long
dunno.gif

The only item that I recall specifying distilled water was for the battery ..and typically those haven't had fill caps for decades either.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I recall specifying distilled water was for the battery ..and typically those haven't had fill caps for decades either.

Not really true. My 01 Nissan has them. They are just not as obvious. They don't stick up.

True ..some have "not intended to be serviced" caps that you can open and I've indeed used them check up on the internal process ...but I've never had to add anything to those batteries that I've looked in
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back