tap water in a 50/50 MIX = BAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got finished pulling the heads for a cam swap and i had to drain the radiator. when i filled her back up i just realized i used tap water when i mixed it 50/50 for maybe 2 gallons or a tad more of added coolant mix. is it worth the worrying over for the small amount of tap water? worth the money for a full flush??

What Chris said.

As long as you water isn't super hard, filling it with tap water once shouldn't be a big deal.

Every time you add tap water or change you coolant and use tap water, the crud builds up, so it would be best to use a distilled water coolant mix to do any topping off and for you next scheduled change.

I have always used distilled water...but I used to work for a place that mixed everything with tap...Not once did anybody ask what we mixed coolant with? I think okay for now...but next time use distilled...

Water quality varies so much that saying it is good or bad is impossible without testing.

My recommendation is that you consider the tap water fill as a temp solution. Keep an eye on recover bottle buildup, and change it out in a year or 2, depending on driving style. Do not consider it a lifetime, 5year, 100-150k fill. It isn't!

In the future, use distilled water or just buy the antifreeze that is premixed.

For a simple test, borrow a pan or pot from the little lady, fill it with a gallon of your tap water, and boil that pot empty on her kitchen stove. The buildup leftover in that pot is what you added to your cooling system.

I own my own small water distiller. And, I tell you that I would NEVER use the local well or city water here, unless it was a critical coolant emergency.

The distilled water at the grocery store has ozone in it. I suppose that's fine if I want to drink it, but will it cause problems in my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back