Taking off the snows

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
These vehicles produce obscene amounts of brake dust. So did my M5 of course, seems to be a thing with performance brakes 🤷‍♂️

My son and I pulled out the summer rubber and went through the task of changing the wheels. The truck gets done at the dealership, but I do the Jeep in the driveway. I take the time to clean the brakes and then give it a quick bath.

Extracted from hibernation!
E2AF50DC-C85B-4147-8E2C-C58F70E90EE2_1_105_c.jpeg

The FILTH!
529A5DCC-F7A5-485F-8593-7320C4226730_1_105_c.jpeg

Getting cleaned-up:
FC12F491-3F47-4FA7-9B25-E0FBC28C324B_1_105_c.jpeg

08937A67-D494-49DC-B450-501BEDC95CD4_1_105_c.jpeg

Not shown, I hosed down the entire bottom of the vehicle, washed the wheel liners (they are those padded sound absorbing mat types that just love to trap sand and salt) and took a scrub brush to the summer wheels.

Did not wax it, still not back at 100% energy yet, and I didn't want to overdo it.

All back together:
8AD114E7-5B21-4A5B-BBE9-89FEC3B4D20F_1_105_c.jpeg

Less than desirable discovery:
All the tires except for one were very close to 30psi (they are supposed to be at 33, but it's not quite summer temps yet, was only 16C today). The one that wasn't? It was at 10psi. Right rear. I suspect I have picked up a nail or screw, but it isn't obvious. So, it will have to go to the dealer to have that plugged. Ugh. Wonder how that works with a run-flat? @CapriRacer do run flats get plugged like normal tires?

I cannot tell you how much I want to own a M5, I would give a finger for one.. I missed a 550i by two hours once, at a local BMW dealer. It had only 70k on it and was priced very fairly. All the others I find have 130k plus miles and are offered at sketchy used car dealers that were just purchased at an auction, no reconditioning at all.. If I do find one in decent shape its priced insanely high above its current updated book value. I would never even come close to its actual updated value of the car from an insurance claim if the vehicle was totaled.

I have my BMW dealership looking for a decent one for me nationwide, but the one's they've found so far have been in significant accidents or have mileage based mechanical issues that have not been addressed yet.

You lucky bastard.

Snow tires staying on BMW as long as it is dumping in high country. This is just today’s accumulation:
884A8917-41EC-4816-8498-6FF5270C1E2D.jpeg

It is going to be tough day tomorrow, skiing and beer mixed with spicy bison stew 😂

These vehicles produce obscene amounts of brake dust. So did my M5 of course, seems to be a thing with performance brakes 🤷‍♂️

My son and I pulled out the summer rubber and went through the task of changing the wheels. The truck gets done at the dealership, but I do the Jeep in the driveway. I take the time to clean the brakes and then give it a quick bath.

Extracted from hibernation!
View attachment 97561

The FILTH!
View attachment 97562

Getting cleaned-up:
View attachment 97563
View attachment 97564

Not shown, I hosed down the entire bottom of the vehicle, washed the wheel liners (they are those padded sound absorbing mat types that just love to trap sand and salt) and took a scrub brush to the summer wheels.

Did not wax it, still not back at 100% energy yet, and I didn't want to overdo it.

All back together:
View attachment 97566

Less than desirable discovery:
All the tires except for one were very close to 30psi (they are supposed to be at 33, but it's not quite summer temps yet, was only 16C today). The one that wasn't? It was at 10psi. Right rear. I suspect I have picked up a nail or screw, but it isn't obvious. So, it will have to go to the dealer to have that plugged. Ugh. Wonder how that works with a run-flat? @CapriRacer do run flats get plugged like normal tires?
As far as I know RFT get plugged same as regular. As long as it is not too close to the edge.

Problem with RFT and 10PSI. You do not know how long they were run like this. 10 is more than 0 but the tire carried a lot of weight with not much air. The tire may be done.

Krzyś

PS RFT are not supposed to be plugged after being run flat. AFAIK
Your case may be gray area of the spec.

Problem with RFT and 10PSI. You do not know how long they were run like this. 10 is more than 0 but the tire carried a lot of weight with not much air. The tire may be done.

Krzyś

PS RFT are not supposed to be plugged after being run flat. AFAIK
Your case may be gray area of the spec.
The tire was never run at 10psi. It was removed from the vehicle when it had 33psi in it. I put it on the vehicle today and noticed it looked a bit soft so I wasn't surprised that when I checked them, this one was low.

The vehicle has TPMS and it flips out if the pressure gets much below 30.

I just had that similar situation on my daughters CRV. 3 were good, one was low. The O-ring/gasket where it sits/seals against the rim on the inside of rim was older and cracked. I sprayed with a light soap solution to check beads and valve as I saw no nails etc. Very small bubble from valve area.

$30 they replaced the gasket/seal and all is well. Worst case was a new sensor at $75 if they couldn’t fix it. Also not driven while low, just sitting in storage.

@CapriRacer do run flats get plugged like normal tires?
The problem with RunFlats is that in a normal tire, flat tires can be damaged on the sidewall - and you can see that. In RunFlats, the damage MIGHT be there, but you CAN'T see it - it is hidden by the stiff sidewall insert. This damage can cause a sudden failure - very dangerous!!

So if you have a leaky RunFlat, you CAN repair it just like a normal tire - BUT - if that tire has been run substantially without inflation pressure, then there is a risk of failure.

Yes, a runflat tire can be repaired and it likely isn't any issue if the tire isn't run low,
however a shop might not want to repair a runflat tire for liability reasons. It may
depend on the shop and if they believe you the tire isn't actually run at just 10 psi.
The existence of a TPMS should support your claim. Good luck!

Sexy brakes btw.! (y)

Yes, a runflat tire can be repaired and it likely isn't any issue if the tire isn't run low,
however a shop might not want to repair a runflat tire for liability reasons. It may
depend on the shop and if they believe you the tire isn't actually run at just 10 psi.
The existence of a TPMS should support your claim. Good luck!

Sexy brakes btw.! (y)
Guess we'll see what the dealer says, I still can't see a nail or screw in it, so maybe it's just a bead or valve leak.

Why choosing tire in Colorado is nightmare?
589F5D64-01CF-43D0-9790-40073E17B65E.jpeg

One day is fire danger, 86 degrees, day after 16” of snow possible.
I am starting to think that on Sienna I might run snows in winter and all weather rest of the year.

Snow tires staying on BMW as long as it is dumping in high country. This is just today’s accumulation:
View attachment 97613

It is going to be tough day tomorrow, skiing and beer mixed with spicy bison stew 😂
92F in he shade yesterday here.
Got a huge tan last week and several times I felt I was about to keel over from heat exhaustion when work had me out and about in the direct sun for hours each day this week. (Usually I am in an ACed laboratory but not this time).
Not used to it

So your pics of snow look very refreshing to me.

Do you run summer tires on this?
All seasons. Sienna and BMW have Bridgestone DriveGuards, and Tiguan Michelin Pilot A/S 3+.
I am still wearing those Bridgestone’s since I got tjose two cars. Absolute POS of a tire, especially in bit of snow.
I left skis in garage so snow Gods see them for one more snow, and they did. Now I have to figure out how to get up wit these tires. They are expecting up to 31” in the mountains.

92F in he shade yesterday here.
Got a huge tan last week and several times I felt I was about to keel over from heat exhaustion when work had me out and about in the direct sun for hours each day this week. (Usually I am in an ACed laboratory but not this time).
Not used to it

So your pics of snow look very refreshing to me.
It was 86 here in shade. Sun is not an issue here, we have it more than Florida. But wild weather swing here are always a hoot!

Guess we'll see what the dealer says, I still can't see a nail or screw in it, so maybe it's just a bead or valve leak.
Just to update this, as it stopped leaking for a bit then lost about 5lbs in a week, so I took it in yesterday.

It was a finishing nail, about 1.5" long, one of those smooth ones you'd use to affix baseboards or something. The head being so tiny, it had passed into the rubber and there was only a tiny slit, took about 10 minutes for the dealer to find the leak and we didn't know what it was until we had the tire off and saw the nail poking through on the inside.

It was about 4" in from the sidewall, so not quite in the middle of the tread, but definitely far from the sides. Got a plug/patch combo.

Back