Takata Seatbelt Recall

I find that troubling (obvious I know). They say webbing, over and over again. If it was the tensioner then I'd not care--that item is nice to have, to take up the slack and pin you back, but if it were to quit, I'm not sure it's in the same category as a bad airbag inflator. But bad webbing? Are we talking that it stretches excessively or does not stretch enough? either of which might be acceptable, if it's only outside acceptable ranges, since that is more of a lab spec (tested at what force, and does that match the accident that I might have?). Or is it webbing that just plain fails to work?

It’s all blown out of proportion in my view. The article states that hundreds of injuries occurred as a result of the airbags but how many accidents were there during that same time frame?

As for the belts the reports are vague. Again, how many injuries can be linked to faulty belts?

Nothing is foolproof.

I remember the 90s Takata seatbelt recall. Their response was that Americans were slobs who ate in their cars and had stuff entering the latching mechanism. I ended up getting the recall work done on an '89 Integra. It consisted of a "guide" added to the latch that was supposed to help make a proper connection.

I remember the 90s Takata seatbelt recall. Their response was that Americans were slobs who ate in their cars and had stuff entering the latching mechanism. I ended up getting the recall work done on an '89 Integra. It consisted of a "guide" added to the latch that was supposed to help make a proper connection.
Where in the world did this come from? Facebook?
Not even close to the true problem or the recall fix.
When parts of the airbag container explode in your face and cut your jugular vein, there is no "GUIDE" that can be installed to prevent that.

Where in the world did this come from? Facebook?
Not even close to the true problem or the recall fix.
When parts of the airbag container explode in your face and cut your jugular vein, there is no "GUIDE" that can be installed to prevent that.
Did you read what I wrote? I mean, did you really read what I wrote before you commented? I know what the Takata airbag recall was as I've brought in two cars for the service.

Read closely. I was talking about the 1990s Takata seatbelt recall. It's right there. I started off with "I remember the 90s Takata seatbelt recall" and I can't edit it after a few minutes, so don't accuse me of editing my original post. I brought in a 1989 Acura Integra RS and I specifically remember what they did.

Some Japanese auto manufacturers, asserted that the reason for the failure of the seat belts is not due to design, but the lifestyle of the user, i.e. contaminants such as water and soft drinks getting in to the button mechanism were the cause of the failure. The nine month investigation by NHTSA concluded that the cause of the defect was that the buckles were made of ABS plastic. Through exposure to ultraviolet light over a period of time, the plastic became brittle and pieces fell off, causing a jamming of the release button mechanism.​
*** ***​
HONDA: Honda agreed to replace any damaged buckles or those buckles which fail to operate safely free of charge. If the front buckle assembly is in good condition, Honda will install a “Seat Belt Buckle Guide.” A lifetime warranty applies to Honda automobiles for any seat belt malfunction that is not the result of an accident or user abuse.​

Back