T-Mobile looking at buying Mint Mobile

I hope it doesn't go through, I had a small local provider years ago who got purchased by a local telecom company who had contracts with Sprint so everyone was being forced over in the merge, I had friends and family who had Sprint and were not happy due to billing errors or quality of their service. I ended up switching to Google Fi and was happy with them but not happy with paying for data, I ended up switching to Mint Mobile and saving $5 month plus I get 4gb data included for free, however with Google they were proving their own VPN for free and I went with Nord VPN which is now an added cost for me so really any savings I had just went out the window.

So fast forward to today Sprint has been purchased by T-Mobile so if this merger does happen then I'll be forced to make this decision again whether I stay or I go now.

It seems time for consolidation in the prepaid space
Without 4 separate carriers vying for cheap wholesale MVNO capacity, there will be mergers 🤷‍♂️

For those who don't know, Mint is a T-Mobile MVNO

Hopefully Dish comes out as a viable 4th alternative, and keeps the other 3 competing

C Spire is a maybe, US Cellular is too conservative

doesnt mint mobile run on t mobile towers?
Yes as stated Mint Mobile is a MVNO so it's a smaller provider that pays T-Mobile the rights to use their cellular network. You are typically going to be paying more if you are using one of the big 3, Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile but typically they do have some advantages such as providing streaming services into your plan whereas the MVNO really cuts out everything extra you don't need and gets back to the basics.

I hope it doesn't go through, I had a small local provider years ago who got purchased by a local telecom company who had contracts with Sprint so everyone was being forced over in the merge, I had friends and family who had Sprint and were not happy due to billing errors or quality of their service. I ended up switching to Google Fi and was happy with them but not happy with paying for data, I ended up switching to Mint Mobile and saving $5 month plus I get 4gb data included for free, however with Google they were proving their own VPN for free and I went with Nord VPN which is now an added cost for me so really any savings I had just went out the window.

So fast forward to today Sprint has been purchased by T-Mobile so if this merger does happen then I'll be forced to make this decision again whether I stay or I go now.
I got rid of Simple Mobile over just such an "acquisition." Never was the same once it went to Verizon SIMs and towers . (Which surprised me, since they are all, generally, the same. Unless Verizon is still CDMA whereas T-Mobile and AT&T were always GSM... Sprint was also CDMA and it took a loooooooong time for them to go away...)

I got about a year of free service thanks to going to Mint and I suspect even if the merger goes through (which it may...) that service will be unaffected.

4GB free a month here as well, that's more than Simple Mobile was offering, and for WAY less. I'm the type, if I somehow use up data,I just let it be slow until refill. I think I use more now with better service.

More expensive does not necessarily equal better. A lot of people think it does.

Yes as stated Mint Mobile is a MVNO so it's a smaller provider that pays T-Mobile the rights to use their cellular network. You are typically going to be paying more if you are using one of the big 3, Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile but typically they do have some advantages such as providing streaming services into your plan whereas the MVNO really cuts out everything extra you don't need and gets back to the basics.

Exactly as it should be.

Ahhh... well companies get bought and sold, hang in there and if you dont like any changes than you have to move to another.
TMobile has been taking over and growing, actually burying ATT and Verizon the last couple years, growing like crazy.
Even in our household, after having MNVOs for a decade we are with TMobile 55+ Magenta Plan, incredible deal.

When TMobile bought Sprint they were forced by government to sell their discount service Boast Mobile to Dish Network. Dish network is the new cell phone company to replace Sprint because of that forced sale.

So this puts TMobile back together again with a budget service by owning Mint Mobile for those who want the basics. Just like TMobile had when it owned Boast Mobile before being forced to sell it. Now it is back in the game if allowed to go through.

If your unhappy then its easy go to Red Pocket, same exact service you have now but better price than Mint

I got rid of Simple Mobile over just such an "acquisition." Never was the same once it went to Verizon SIMs and towers . (Which surprised me, since they are all, generally, the same. Unless Verizon is still CDMA whereas T-Mobile and AT&T were always GSM... Sprint was also CDMA and it took a loooooooong time for them to go away...)

I got about a year of free service thanks to going to Mint and I suspect even if the merger goes through (which it may...) that service will be unaffected.

4GB free a month here as well, that's more than Simple Mobile was offering, and for WAY less. I'm the type, if I somehow use up data,I just let it be slow until refill. I think I use more now with better service.

More expensive does not necessarily equal better. A lot of people think it does.

Exactly as it should be.
I was with Ntelos who was a small local cellular provider and was CDMA, phones were always a pain and had to basically use theirs or maybe get lucky online. I had an old Motorola Razr that the screen stopped working and found "new" on eBay... needless to say it did work after a bit of tinkering by Ntelos but that phone didn't even last as long that the other one had, also it was missing the stickers that cover the screws so it had been repaired before. I have learned to only purchase phones from reputable sources and lately I've been buying Pixel's from Google and getting 0% over 2 yrs.

My Mom looked into Visible but I got her to switch to Mint, she had Verizon but was on my brother's plan and was paying him $60+ which seemed high to me but then I don't know his plan.

Ahhh... well companies get bought and sold, hang in there and if you dont like any changes than you have to move to another.
TMobile has been taking over and growing, actually burying ATT and Verizon the last couple years, growing like crazy.
Even in our household, after having MNVOs for a decade we are with TMobile 55+ Magenta Plan, incredible deal.

When TMobile bought Sprint they were forced by government to sell their discount service Boast Mobile to Dish Network. Dish network is the new cell phone company to replace Sprint because of that forced sale.

So this puts TMobile back together again with a budget service by owning Mint Mobile for those who want the basics. Just like TMobile had when it owned Boast Mobile before being forced to sell it. Now it is back in the game if allowed to go through.

If your unhappy then its easy go to Red Pocket, same exact service you have now but better price than Mint
Thanks I'll keep that one in mind, like I said I did really like Google Fi but their price per GB is a bit on the expensive side. With Mint I don't get to carry any of what I didn't use over to the next month but it's included into the price whereas with Google I had to pay for the service and then data was an additional cost added onto the base plan if that makes sense.

I have wifi at home, work, and can find it in other places, I can even use the Xfinity hotspot since I have Comcast, seems a lot of the local businesses have Comcast so I can just connect to that. I really don't even need the 4gb but is nice to have if I'm traveling.

Really that's the main reason I switched from Google, I can now link my phone while driving and stream music instead of having to pay for it. Yes I technically still am paying for data but it's all absorbed into what I'm currently paying.

Thanks I'll keep that one in mind, like I said I did really like Google Fi but their price per GB is a bit on the expensive side. With Mint I don't get to carry any of what I didn't use over to the next month but it's included into the price whereas with Google I had to pay for the service and then data was an additional cost added onto the base plan if that makes sense.

I have wifi at home, work, and can find it in other places, I can even use the Xfinity hotspot since I have Comcast, seems a lot of the local businesses have Comcast so I can just connect to that. I really don't even need the 4gb but is nice to have if I'm traveling.

Really that's the main reason I switched from Google, I can now link my phone while driving and stream music instead of having to pay for it. Yes I technically still am paying for data but it's all absorbed into what I'm currently paying.
Yeah, we all pick what works for us, for me I have fun "looking around" and shopping but I can understand the frustration once you have something and all of a sudden there is a change, trust me I know.
Full disclosure = as some know in here I am a google hater so I know nothing about their services anymore. Just a personal decision to get them out of my life as much as I can but at the same time, fully agree we all have our favorites!

Yeah, we all pick what works for us, for me I have fun "looking around" and shopping but I can understand the frustration once you have something and all of a sudden there is a change, trust me I know.
Full disclosure = as some know in here I am a google hater so I know nothing about their services anymore. Just a personal decision to get them out of my life as much as I can but at the same time, fully agree we all have our favorites!
With Google Fi you pay per GB, really it's per MB so $10 GB of data is really $5 per 500 MB broken down or $1 for every 100 MB but the pricing is all the same in the end. Like I said I did really like them but their data is on the expensive side.

For me switching to Mint was a no-brainer, I'm paying $15 but I get 4gb data included for free and as for VPN's you can typically find them running specials for just a few dollars a month.

Dish acquired Republic Wireless and if you don't have Dish and weren't a RW customer prior to 5/22, you pay extra now. Always had a feeling this would happen, but I am grandfathered in at the lower price. Not a big cell user so with a prepaid year discount, my monthly cost is $19.66.

Exactly as it should be.
Verizon's CDMA network is offline for good as of last week
Sprint's has been winding down since the T-Mobile merger

Unfortunately, this is like the AMPS analog shutdown of 2008, if you're relying on CDMA coverage, you need to shop alternatives yesterday

The only CDMA networks still running in the US currently are U.S Cellular and Cellcom
And those are gonna be sundowned EOY23-24

Dish acquired Republic Wireless and if you don't have Dish and weren't a RW customer prior to 5/22, you pay extra now. Always had a feeling this would happen, but I am grandfathered in at the lower price. Not a big cell user so with a prepaid year discount, my monthly cost is $19.66.
Dish also bought T-Mobile Boast. Dish will now be the new major cell phone carrier in the USA for the #4 spot.

I have the best deal of all.

$30 a month for home internet with good streaming.

Less than $2 a month for mobile data plus a $300 gift card.

Comcast tried to screw me and I was fortunate to do a copy/paste of the chat which promised me the moon. Now I get to enjoy it.

Not sure how to feel about that other than it sounding like it could be payday for Ryan Reynolds.

I just test drove T-Mo’s network and came away impressed at how it was compared to my last disappointment with Mint a few years ago.

Don’t think mainline T-Mo has a plan to match my current 8-now-16 GB $300/yr ATT prepaid plan deal outside of Mint but hey, ATT suddenly upgraded it to 16 when the test drive was underway so thanks T-Mo!

Well it just happened, I received an email this morning from Mint that they have agreed to a deal to be acquired by T-Mobile.

I am very sad indeed, I'm just speculating here but most likely they will leave Mint alone at least for the time being but over the next few yrs there will be changes.

Last edited:
Well it just happened, I received an email this morning from Mint that they have agreed to a deal to be acquired by T-Mobile.

I am very sad indeed, I'm just speculating here but most likely they will leave Mint alone at least for the time being but over the next few yrs there will be changes.
If you were a fan of Mint, Red Pocket will be just as good and dependable

Back