T-IV or 3309 or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

... does anyone know if there is an option for toyota type IV fluid, that is a synthetic ???...

Word on the Volvo web site is that their newer generation of fluids sold for $16/qt is synthetic and backward compatible with their transmissions that use Mobil 3309.

I would be very interested in seeing that in writing. I have never seen evidence where Volvo has ever said the fluid for the transmission JWS 3309 is synthetic. I know the Mobil 3309 claims it is not "synthetic" whatever synthetic means nowadays.
I doesn't matter what I believe, but having said that, I do believe the Volvo fluid is just JWS 3309 compliant and is the same as Mobil 3309.
I did have to buy some power steering fluid for the S60 and the bottle from the dealer clearly states it's "synthetic" actually green in color.
The volvo trans fluid doesn't say it's synthetic, and looks and smells like the Mobil 3309.
Either way it doesn't matter, I did three drain and fills with the Mobil 3309 and it seems fine and I am good to go for 30K at least. All for $46.50 (12 quarts),from a Mobil distributor in Michigan (Vesco Oil, Southfield MI). Seems more reasonable to do that instead of $80 gallon bottles ($240 to equal the amount I got from Mobil for $46.50).

That's the point I have been attempting to make. No one has ever proved beyond word of mouth that the rip off Volvo fluid is special and synthetic. Talk to a tech at a dealer.

Fred, the Volvo web site I mentioned was one of the forums (Volvospeed.com) - not an authoritative source. But this was the best info I could find at the time when researching fluid choices for my 2002 S40 transmission.

I also wanted to get my Mobil 3309 fluid from Vesco. But they require a call to their Southfield office so you could pick it up at their Detroit facility. The logistics of finding time (and gas) to go out of my way to save $3.50 a case was too great, considering I could buy the fluid from a Toyota dealer on my way home from work.

Kestas, you may have saved that much in gas money so going to the dealer I am sure is smart.
The site you mention "Volvospeed" has never determined beyond word of mouth by a member or two as to the fluid from volvo being synthetic. Nowhere in writing or on the bottle proves it's "synthetic". Other sites such as Swedespeed and Volvoforums also have a member or two inferring it's special and synthetic. But it's not... It's misinformation. It's a JWS 3309 oil spec and that's not synthetic. The mobil 3309 is the same oil. Those forums almost universally dismiss the synthetic argument and agree it's just Mobil 3309. By a huge percentage of people.

There are multiple suppliers for AW fluid. Each automaker can choose whichever supplier they want. But, its AW that specs the HFM level and peformance(using JASO specs). As long as the AW performance is met, the automaker can ask their supplier for an equivalent with WHATEVER basestock they want, which might be depended on engine power, vehicle weight, or ATF change interval. This doesn't mean that Volvo is a full synthetic. But, it could mean that the basestock group ratio is higher then other fluids sold by other automakers meeting the AW spec.

Castrol, Idemitsu, Mobil, Pennzoil, Penrite.....have equivalent fluids.

Volvo has a huge margin on their ATF. For $17 a quart, I'd grab Amsoil any day. Or, any other synthetic with a dose of lubegard or smartblend.

The Volvo dealer should have the MSDS. Maybe the ATF's supplier or contents can be surmised with that info.

Pennzoil and Castrol multivehicle fluids can be used. Idemitsu has the ATF-HP sold online or through the Cottman rebuilder chain.

The reason we don't see more Asian JASO ATFs, or Euro (DIN?) ATFs, is that our domestic blenders are hung up on the domestic and SAE requirements. There is plenty of volume and profit with Mercon and Dexron ATFs. Hopefully, as the demand rises with all the newer foreign ATFs and specs, the big headed oil companies here will produce the fluids. Or, maybe the specs will need some arm twisting(like what happened with ATF+4) to become more available.

My only recommendation for someone using a non-OEM ATF is to learn their transmission and vehicle. Besides HFM performance, most ATFs have 'life' dependent specs. If you don't know your exact AT requirement, don't expect the generic store-brand ATF to last a lifetime. Practice a more frequent ATF change interval, like a full flush every 30k or partial changes every 10-15k. If shift quality degrades, dose the lubegard or smartblend fluid convertors. A TCU/TCM erase should also be done when changing fluids.

Fred, every word of your post is correct.

What I'm trying to say is that one Volvospeed member suggested that the $16 fluid available online and from the dealers for the 5-spd Volvos IS synthetic and approved for use, and will last longer than the JWS 3309 fluid, thus justifying the $16 price. He wasn't one of these guys just giving the usual misinformation that ATF 3309 is synthetic, but seemed to have some insider info. I tried digging out his post, but I just couldn't find it.

I'm not testifying to the veracity of this information, I'm only putting it out here so perhaps someone can confirm or deny it it. Until this information is verified, I'll continue using ATF 3309 in my 5-speed '02 S40.

For most, leaving battery disconnected overnight does the trick and clears learned parameter AT fuzzy logic.
For some, you'll need an OBD2 scaner. Even if you scan and no error codes come up, still hit the reset/erase which should clear learned parameters.
And, others require both. A free Autozone 'clearing' along with the battery disconnect when you get home.

The overnight battery disconnect should be considered mandatory for all backyard mechanics. I find that it prevents many issues wrongly blamed on the fluid.

How would you perform a reset on a Toyota vehicle? I went to the Toyota dealer in Hartford and picked up a case of T-IV for less than $48.

Quote:

Quote:

... does anyone know if there is an option for toyota type IV fluid, that is a synthetic ???...

Word on the Volvo web site is that their newer generation of fluids sold for $16/qt is synthetic and backward compatible with their transmissions that use Mobil 3309.

I suspected you found a single entry from a Volvo type website, not volvo itself. A single entry of someone still verbally claiming it's "synthetic" doesn't prove anything to anyone. It cannot trump 40 other entries that say it's not. That's my point.

It is nice that there is a thread on here that quantitatively shows data for Mobil 3309, The Volvo fluid and Mobil 1 trans fluid. If the data is correct and I have to assume so, then the Mobil 3309 and the Volvo fluid are NOT the same. Yet their pour points, flash points are very similar. Both have to be manufactured to JWS 3309 oil specification. First data I have seen ever on this subject.

Perhaps the post you are looking for is the post by BlackTT55 over at Swedespeed? I saw that one, but he did not back up his statement with anything substantive.

And everyone on there knows to ignore him. He got booted from Volvospeed, and now Swedespeed because of ignorance.

Fred, I went on Swedespeed and read a few threads about ATF 3309 and what BlackTT55 had to say. You're right, he definitely talks above his head.
liar.gif
His info is whatever his dealer told him... and we know how accurate the couterpersons are with their info!
stooges.gif
I only have a handful of posts on each Volvo web site forum, so I haven't learned the "cast of characters" yet.

This squares it away for me - no other fluid for the Aisin Warner AW50 (AW55-50) Transmissions but JWS 3309, which is available as Mobil ATF 3309 or Toyota Type T-IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back