Synthetic Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am thinking on switching my power steeering fluid to Royal Purple PS fluid. Why, I can get a decent deal on some, and peace of mind. This will be on my 2004 Hyundai Elantra.
It is a mostly (90%) highway driven vehicle. No problems or anything with it, just don't want to have to worry about it at all.
Any reason not to use RP, or any syn at all? Any brand better to go with? Should I stick with regular and just change it out every year or so? I put about 20,000-25,000 miles a year on the car. I have syn engine oil and will be switching to syn tranny fluid @ 30k. I would just like to have all syn fluids and the peace of mind that goes with it.
Any comments are appreciated.

ps: also searched on best way to switch over, and no real easy way found that does a complete change with minimal fluid use with a rack and pinion setup.

I put RP power steering fluid in two different trucks that had noisy pumps, and that were very cold-blooded in the winter. It quieted them down completly, and the cold weather does not affect the pumps anymore. Have been completly satisfied. I think you need to replace it now, and then run it for a while, and then get all of it out and replace it because it will clean it out if there is any crud built up in the pump.

quote:

Originally posted by M. Davis:
I think you need to replace it now, and then run it for a while, and then get all of it out and replace it because it will clean it out if there is any crud built up in the pump.

The fluid in there now is only 7 months old, with 12,500 miles on it, so probably no crud in there yet. I am still trying to decide on the best way to change it though. I don't want to suck out the resivoir and add, drive a bit, suck it out again and add, ect (that will use too much, and I hate wasting anything). I really want to just drain out all the old and pour in the new, but everything I have read is more involved than that.

If you are willing to put up with the mess, you can do a flush. Get a helper to start and stop the engine when needed. Disconnect the return line at the resevoir and if possible add an extension so that you can drop it into a bucket. Plug the fitting at the resevoir. Start the car and add fluid at the same rate as it is pumping out. When the fluid going out is as pristine as the fluid going in, shut the engine off, reconnect the line, and top off the fluid as needed.

I use RP PSF in my truck, due to a noisy pump caused by the 295/50/15 tires, and it is now completely silent.
grin.gif

quote:

blupupher:
Ok, I am thinking on switching my power steeering fluid to Royal Purple PS fluid. Why, I can get a decent deal on some, and peace of mind .....

One product you might want to consider is the Lubegard Power Steering Fluid and Power Steering Protectant:

http://lubegard.com/automotive/index_pwrstr.html

They use the same liquid wax esters as their transmission additive, and action much like a highly friction modified ATF.

One advantage of them is that if do the usual turkey baster less than total drain, the esters will fortify the remaining factory fluid and provide many of the advantages a full replacement with Royal Purple would give you.

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:
One product you might want to consider is the Lubegard Power Steering Fluid and Power Steering Protectant

I like Lubegard products. Is this stuff available at the same place the transmission additive is purchased? When i go home for spring break, i plan on doing some spring cleaning on my Jeep. I changed out some fluid from my Jeep before I left for the spring semester and it looked brown. I'll probably change out all the fluid after driving it for a few days, then add this stuff. My mechanic says my steering gear is leaking but slowly so maybe this might help. Except for the new Grand and the Liberty, Jeeps have a recirculating ball system so anything to help with this design is awesome.

After hearing the good things about lubegard, I think Im going to buy some for my 2002 Envoy. Are there any cheap places on the 'net to get it?

The Pepboys near me has been clearing out Aamco-branded Lubegard P/S additive for $3 and trans additive for $5. Both were in blue bottles with red caps. I first noticed them in December, and I think both products were still on the shelf a month ago.

To fully exchange the fuid out, turkey baster as much fluid out of the reservoir as you can then pull the retun line from it. Catch the remaining fluid draining from the reservior's return input. Plug the return connection on the reservoir. Put return line from the pump into a container.

No need to start the car to pump out the fluid out of the return line.
One only needs to floor jack the front wheels off the ground, turn the wheel lock to lock to move the fluid through the pump.

Fill reservoir with new fluid and keep filling as the fluid is moving through the pump until the return line output runs clear.
Reattach the return line to the reservoir (could be messy). Check level. Turn wheel lock to lock a few more times.
Start engine, and turn wheel lock to lock a few times taking care to not let it linger in the lock position for more than 2 seconds or so.

My car uses ATF for power steering. I used Mobil 1 synthetic atf in my 1995 BMW 525i. I keept sucking out the old brownish fluid from the reservoir until it looked clear red. I used a turkey baster, a extractor pump wouldbe easier. It took about 4 quarts over several days to complete the process. This was preventive maintainence as the car was almost 10 years old. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back