Synthetic overkill???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that next winter I will stick with dino. Our coldest night so far has been just over 0 F. For my Ranger which stays outside, Motorcraft 5w20 has a pour point of -49 F and my wife's Cavalier is garaged so I am thinking Havoline 5w30 year round is ok. Any thoughts?

I think you would have no problems running Havoline 5w40 in that temperature regime.l And the 5w30 gives you added protection (HT/HS) over the 5w20. I would do it in a heartbeat. (Actually, I am in Detroit and am switching all my vehicles to minimum 10w30).

For most applications 10w30 is fine down to 0 deg. Running synthetic for a lower pour point isn't needed in you situation, but there are other advantages to synthietic oil.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
Good choice! Synthetic motor oils are only necessary for extended drains or special high-stress applications such as turbocharged engines, IMHO, neither of which you have.

Not nessasarly. Syns will keep your engine much cleaner then dino in the long run. Also at 0 syns will flow faster to your engine thus less wear. I say stick with a good syn if you are keeping the car for a while.

I've recently changed to syn's on my newer cars and truck this past 6 months. This weekend I was changing out the oil in my "old faithful" '90 Olds with 180K on it and got to thinking about that exact subject. For me, it isn't the pour points being where I am at, but it was the over costs vs. benefits thing. The Olds has had nothing but dino it's whole life. Running great, not drinking a drop of oil between changes. With the couple of UOA's I've done on it, I can go about 4K on the Pennz. 5W-30 and I'm running the syn's to about 5K. Is it worth it? I don't know, but in retrospect, I still look at the Olds. I can pop the oil fill cap and look in the heads with a flashlight and the engine is not brand spanking new looking. There is a little light brown haze on it, or varnish as I call it. But....so what? Now my Honda with syn, it looks pretty spotless inside. But, does that REALLY matter? What will that do in the long run? Nothing, I suspect. Face it, the dino's are getting so much better now-a-days, it's almost hard for me to justify to myself to spend the extra bucks. I mean I can get a case of Pennz. for about 17 bucks around here. I know, spec. wise the syn's are better but the dino's are right there behind them. I am starting to understand and almost share some of the beliefs of other members on here about syn's being a waste of money if you are into changing the oil regularly...which I am. But, I'm still reading and learning.

[ March 08, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
Not nessasarly. Syns will keep your engine much cleaner then dino in the long run. Also at 0 syns will flow faster to your engine thus less wear. I say stick with a good syn if you are keeping the car for a while.

Perhaps a blend is the best of both worlds, maybe with full synth in the depth of winter.

You should have no problems running a good dino 5w/30 or 10w/30 in your neck of the woods year round, I would. But who the heck am I?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back