Synthetic or Regular Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, ha only real men would pick on the Beetle.
VW, best depreciation- fact.
VW, safest in class, 1st, 2nd and 4th- fact.
VW, won't fall apart like an American POS-fact.
VW, more high-tech engine research- fact.
Which American cars were the best in class? Focus? It's actually the best-selling car in Germany, fyi.

For the record, SBC, which American cars do YOU feel shames the rest of the World? Tick-tock.
I see the Vettes getting passed in GTS class by GT family sedans like S4 and the 40 year-old 911, ***? Check out the new racing RS6 and get back to me. Cadillac spent many 10s of millions to compete in LeMans and only managed like 20th or 30th place with the cars that did *not* catch fire.
When I think of American cars, I think of that Tom Hanks movie "Gung-Ho". Remember a few years ago? American excutive visit honorable Honda factory to learn build cars. I betcha that is a period of USA car history you "motorheads" would rather forget.

~Any~ car reviews are completely subjective, I'm not surprised when some Lancer Sport beats a Golf when "tests" include great stuff like which car has more FM presets. Many of those test are inappropritely matched cars too, did they compare a R32 Golf? Some drivers and MANY professionals just don't get it, not everyone wants to purchase, at 4 year intervals, a new shiny $12,000 sardine can with foamy seats covered in thin nasty cloth. So what? A new Golf is coming out in Europe right now, next year here. I HOPE other cars are catching up with the old one for God's sake.

[ September 02, 2003, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: AudiJunkie ]

The only GTS class racing I watch is the american lemans series. The corvettes have won 5 out 6 races so far. But then.....the only european competition in that class is Ferrari.......and we all know how big of a sled a Ferrari is (cough, cough).

FWIW, in my observations, the biggest oil burners on the road up here in Toronto by a large margin, are VWs. I worked with a guy who had a VW Fox that burned a quart of oil every week (in about 500km) So much for high quality VWs eh?
rolleyes.gif

[ September 02, 2003, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
FWIW, in my observations, the biggest oil burners on the road up here in Toronto by a large margin, are VWs. I worked with a guy who had a VW Fox that burned a quart of oil every week (in about 500km) So much for high quality VWs eh?
rolleyes.gif

You can read internet forums where VW owners are complaining about excess oil consumption on brand new cars. I think VW still recommends the real thick oil, probably due to consumption issues. I like the looks of many of the VWs, but they are not very reliable.

quote:

Originally posted by AudiJunkie:
Ha, ha only real men would pick on the Beetle.

VW, won't fall apart like an American POS-fact.

Just to add a few facts to the discussion.

JD Powers ratings from Edmunds -

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle

Midterm Reliability Ratings (1-3 years)

Mechanical Reliability 2 / 5
Body & Interior Reliability 3 / 5
Feature and Accessory Reliability 2 / 5

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle

Midterm Reliability Ratings (1-3 years)

Mechanical Reliability 2 / 5
Body & Interior Reliability 3 / 5
Feature and Accessory Reliability 2 / 5

A clue here - Larger numbers = higher reliability. Feel free to get the last word. I'm done...

AudiJ- I'm the one that worked on my parent's car, so once again you insult. The window regulator's were dead, as were the steering racks. The car burned oil so bad at about 100K miles, and their replacement Toyota is still on the road....so I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Almost forgot - I used to own a 1984 VW Scirocco, Wolfsburg edition....driver's side window regulator died at 50K miles, air con never did blow cold (really pathetic), car dented when breathed on...'nuff said won't buy one again.

Come on guys, get back on topic! All modern cars can last 150,000 miles with proper maintenance.

tzorro, you'll be served just fine with a high quality dino oil such as Chevron Supreme, just $1.08/quart at Walmart. AC Delco or SuperTech oil filters (both made by Champion Labs) offer lots of "bang for the buck". Change your oil yourself using these products, and you'll save lots of money.

You could benefit from synthetic if your vehicles are operated under extreme conditions (severe cold, turbocharging, towing, racing) or very high mileage per year, but I don't think those conditions apply to you.

red2rebel, the only "true" over-the-counter synthetic is Mobil 1. And we think the German Castrol is a real synthetic too. All the others are Group III synthetic.

Specialty oils like Amsoil and Redline are also real synthetics.

Just wanted to add that I'm a big fan of synthetic oil and have been using it for a long time. But I think you should use it only if your car or conditions require it, or if you are willing to extend your oil change intervals. Changing synthetic oil on a 3,000 mile interval is a bigtime waste of money!

-Jason

This, from Blackstone Labs:

Is synthetic oil better?

For engines operating under normal circumstances, we do not generally see any difference between the engines that use synthetic oil and the engines that use petroleum-based oil. If you are trying to decide whether a synthetic is best for your engine, we recommend a test: try a petroleum-based oil for a set amount of miles, and send in a sample. Then switch to a synthetic, run it for the same number of miles, and send in a sample. You'll be able to decide for yourself, based on the numbers that come back, which is performing best in your particular engine.

quote:

corvettes have won 5 out 6 races so far

SBC, you know there are a total of 2 competitive entries in GTS, the brand-new Ferrari and the old Vette that has been going around and around for years. Last week, the Ferrari won. Is your defination of winning beating 1 other car while smaller lower-powered car pass it? My point is why are GT cars finishing ahead of the Vette? Points leader is Randy Pobst-Audi.
You have yet to put forward that miracle US-made car, the K-car perhaps?
quote:

I'm the one that worked on my parent's car The car burned oil so bad at about 100K miles, and their replacement Toyota is still on the road
1984 VW Scirocco, driver's side window regulator died at 50K miles, air con never did blow

Sounds like you needed a real mechanic to align those window tracks for you. You either ruined that car or was sold a lemon. I have never needed a window reg, a $20 switch once that popped right in. A 1984 Sirocco with power windows? Ooo, a window reg needed in a 5 year-old car, is that the best you can do?
That seems like a couple of sweet 20 year-old cars you are comparing. Lets look at the pathetic American line-up for 1985: K-car, X-body Citations, Chevette...help I blocked them all out. Our 1987 185k Coupe GT burns about 1/4 quart in 5,000 miles, same or less for our Quantum. It is smoking fast too. Way better than most new cars.
I don't really know or care what creampuff you are driving, but don't try to put yourself forward as a VW expert. In a calm setting, ask someone who is an expert, you might learn something and get over you window reg trauma.

JSharp, your "facts" are the results of a survey. As I said, owner-reported problems are tragicly skewed by age, income and unfortunately intelligence level. Here is a >fact
[ September 02, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

AudiJunkie,

Yes, I would happily buy American again, if I found a car that really turned my crank (believe it or not I like the Ford Focus). But, judging by the way you and others are poking at each other I think you've all missed my point. You somehow even managed to get Patman in on this mud slinging fest.
Shame on you Patman
nono.gif
wink.gif

I agree with quadrun1's last two statements.

I apologize for getting into the mud slinging, I never should've done that.

If this thread continues on the path it's taking, I will lock it. The purpose of this site is not to bash other people's choices of cars (which I realize I just did myself and for that I'm very sorry)

Patman, the argument of "engine outlasting the body" has been made MANY times here. Refering to my original post, I made that argument too. Since Audi was the first to galvanize their car and provide free service, I think they earned their way out of that argument. All I am doing here is stating facts, maybe they don't agree with people's OPINIONS, but they are welcome to counter although it seems like a bunch of guys who have no experience with Euro cars anyway. On a lighter note, what's your favourite Euro car?

[ September 02, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: AudiJunkie ]

AudiJunkie - just quit while you are ahead...you insult me again and then you are wrong again...let's see, at any given moment I own two or three Volvos (Mr. NoEuro) and a Toyota pickup. I have no love for American cars, but the answer FOR ME wasn't VW/Audi. My 1985 Volvo 245Ti has 239,000 miles and is doing fine under my lousy mechanical skills and synthetic oil....yeah right.

Funny thing, your opinions are facts.

offtopic.gif
I am sorry for digressing....
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by AudiJunkie:
Patman, the argument of "engine outlasting the body" has been made MANY times here. Refering to my original post, I made that argument too. Since Audi was the first to galvanize their car and provide free service, I think they earned their way out of that argument. All I am doing here is stating facts, maybe they don't agree with people's OPINIONS, but they are welcome to counter although it seems like a bunch of guys who have no experience with Euro cars anyway. On a lighter note, what's your favourite Euro car?

I've got a few of them actually, including some Audis, such as the S4. I love the Volvo V70R, a few of the BMWs, and the Porsche 911 twin turbo too.

I have nothing against European cars at all, but honestly, this section of the forum isn't all about this, this is for lubrication discussion. You're more than welcome to start a topic in the General and off topic section, but just keep it civil.

quote:

You can read internet forums where VW owners are complaining about excess oil consumption on brand new cars. I think VW still recommends the real thick oil, probably due to consumption issues.

Yes, the newer 2.0s seem problematic in that regard. My Mom's 1996 Passat has the 2.0 and never has it needed a top-off, I SWEAR! Castrol 15w-40 at the Bosch mechanic every 6 months. 60k total, 8k a year. I think it is due to improper break-in, afterall, the manual says to baby it, bad idea, you have to RUN the **** out of them to seat the rings. My friends 2.0 Jetta '01 was 1q low after it was delivered as a 18k mile "Certified" car. I am letting the dealer change her once more for free, probally I will drain it for something like Rotella Syn, without a filter change if it only has 1000 miles or so on the oil.

Patman,

Pleazee put us out of our misery of having this site pest AudiJunkie spew his anti any vehicle but Audi drivel. This is a great site and we don't need site pests to ruin it.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back