Synthetic oil in a Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, it's because of the rotary engine in the RX-8. It uses oil injection at WOT high RPM for additional lubrication. This requires the oil to burn cleanly. What's interesting is that Mazda tested synthetic oils and some of them were OK and some were not. Rather than try to differentiate them, they simply said "no synthetics".

Your 626 has a piston engine so synthetic should be just fine. In fact, a few of guys I know in SCCA ran synthetics in their rotaries with no problems either.

quote:

Originally posted by MRC01:
Yup, it's because of the rotary engine in the RX-8. It uses oil injection at WOT high RPM for additional lubrication. This requires the oil to burn cleanly.

Wonder if they have compiled a list of those dino oils that "burned cleanly." That would be interesting to see and possibly very telling...

" ... a few of guys I know in SCCA ran synthetics in their rotaries with no problems either."

Yes. Watch the SCCA Valvoline Run-offs coming up and you'll see many mazda rotary engined cars running Red Line Oil.

The Run-Offs (National Championships) are held in September at Mid-Ohio. They are broadcast on Speed Channel during the winter. Some of the best racing anywhere in the world. Period.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

1st, after the GroupIII oil debacle, it is up to Mazda to DEFINE what a synthetic oil is. It can't just use a blanket statement.

I'm waiting for any anti-synthetic PROOF from any automaker or dealer. They have none and can't prove anything(other than longer lasting engines, better MPG, less emissions, more power....).

Synthetics will allow your engine to last longer.
Dealers/manufacturers won't be selling you replacement engines. Also, auto manufacturers sell cars. If cars lasted twice as long, sales would drop.

Oh no, the cause of the poor economy, unemployment, poor vehicle sales.... is because everyone is using synthetic oil
tongue.gif

To say a quality synthetic doesn't burn as cleanly as a lowly mineral is foolish.

I have been using Mobil 1 in my Mazda 626 for over a year now with good results. However, I was looking at Mazda's web site and saw this under FAQ's.

"Does Mazda recommend the use of synthetic oil?
No. Mazda does not recommend the use of synthetic oil. To determine which oil should be used for your specific model, consult your Owner's Manual."
The owner's manual says nothing about synthetic oil. It only says use a 5W-30 or a 10W-30.

Does anyone know why a manufacturer would recommend against a synthetic? Should I switch back to dino?
dunno.gif

Mazda doesn't recommend synthetics for their rotary engines.

Because it would take too much time for them to actually be sensible and give an explanation, they just make a blanket statement across the entire line.

I think if you search for rotary, or mazda in this forum you'll find more information from someone more knowledgable then myself.

check out www.miata.net i do not know if they can help with a 626 but alot of people on this site use mobil 1.. with no problems ..my wife's 1999 miata's manual also states use 10w30. buy nothing about dino or syn ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back