Synthetic oil for Ch Compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this Husky Professional 30 Gal Air Compressor (CH USA) and I'm currently running it with regular Shell SAE30 Non-Detergent oil. I usually don't use my compressor that much during the cold winter months, but lately my cars have needed some unexpected maintenance and I've been going for my air tools whenever I can. The last week has seen some really cold days where I live and when starting the compressor for the first time the electric motor and pistons have struggled a bit to get going. I was wondering if I would see easier starting/less stress on the compressor if I switched over to a synthetic compressor oil like AMSOIL ISO 46 (20WT) or AMSOIL ISO 100 (30/40WT)? Would these oils be compatible with my CH compressor?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am a custom home builder. We employ anywhere from 15-45 men depending on season and whether or not we have any multi unit residential(condos,apartments etc) going on. I have 12 5.5 hp Honda gas powered air compressors. Some are inline twins,others are v-twins and I've got a couple that I bolted a triple cylinder pump onto when the v-twin pumps failed.
What I'm trying to get at is I make my living with air compressors. For years we used a non detergent 30 grade oil in the pumps. Engine oil would foam and kill the pumps due to lack of lubrication. Even in -40 temps we used that same non detergent oil,so I see no reason you can't HOWEVER I've switched all of them to Amsoil compressor oil. We now run the oil in the pumps for a year instead of every 3 months and never a pump failure. The only 2 that we ones my younger brother put engine oil into. Mobil 1 actually. It was before they fell out of favour with me. The oil foamed up in 35 degree heat. The screeching sound was heard throughout the entire sub division.
We then has our suppliers drop off another brand new air compressor to which he did the exact same thing.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
I have this Husky Professional 30 Gal Air Compressor (CH USA) and I'm currently running it with regular Shell SAE30 Non-Detergent oil. I usually don't use my compressor that much during the cold winter months, but lately my cars have needed some unexpected maintenance and I've been going for my air tools whenever I can. The last week has seen some really cold days where I live and when starting the compressor for the first time the electric motor and pistons have struggled a bit to get going. I was wondering if I would see easier starting/less stress on the compressor if I switched over to a synthetic compressor oil like AMSOIL ISO 46 (20WT) or AMSOIL ISO 100 (30/40WT)? Would these oils be compatible with my CH compressor?

Thanks

Those oils will work great. Does the manual allow ISO 46? If so choose that, if not go with the ISO 100.

Please use these links or enter #515729 for referral. Thanks!

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/compressor-oil/synthetic-compressor-oil-iso-46-sae-20/

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/compressor-oil/synthetic-compressor-oil-iso-100-sae-30-40/

My local hardware store carries compressor oil in quart bottles. They offer it in 20 and 30 weight. Its just a cheap generic brand of oil. I often wondered if a 20 weight would be better in winter. It's not a synthetic however. I have been using 5w30 synthetic in my compressor for the last 4 years with no issues but I am starting to worry I am doing more harm than good by using the automotive oil in it. I think this spring I will pick up some compressor oil for it soon just not sure if I'll get a 20 or a 30 weight.

Ive run Amsoil compressor oil for a long time. The most striking thing to me was how much cooler the compressor head felt.

My compressor is in an unheated garage and I use Lowes semi syn compressor oil. I also add 2 Oz of M1 5-30 and it performs very well year round. This machine is now 10 years old and is used a lot with my part time welding business. Others here like Overk1ll used M1 5-30 with success.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This is what Ch says I can use in my pump.

30kx7ac.jpg

So I might try the ISO 46 during the cold months.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Thanks guys. This is what Ch says I can use in my pump.

Which is a funny write up, because automotive SAE30 can be had in synthetic. So I suppose it would be OK then?!?

My tiny Porter Cable compressor came with a note suggesting Mobil 1, 15W-50. I've been using it for 10 years. As it's tank setup was very small, I hooked it up to my home "shop air" system with an additional 20 gallon tank.

That little compressor works it's guts out and is incredibly reliable. Oil comes out reasonably clean. Compressor still works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back