Synthetic Oil Filter

I am looking for a synthetic oil filter for my 2021 GMC 2500 HD with a 6.6 Duramax diesel. GM # is PF26 and the Fram # is PH 2. Fram do not make an ultra and so far I am using NAPA gold, 100454. I would like to run a better filter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Roger

It doesn't appear that anybody makes an aftermarket synthetic filter for that, the WL10454 appears to have a higher bypass pressure than other M22x1.5 filters, even when you pull up the PH2 on Fram's website that they cross reference with the PF26, I don't see that they have it listed as appropriate for the 2021+ 6.6L duramax.

FRAM Ultra Synthetic XG10575 for your application comes up in the FRAM application info. I wonder why they don't list XG2 for your truck??? They still make it. IDK.................

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
Amsoil makes probably the best one, the EAO11 but it is pricey like their oils for normal length oil changes. The Mobil 1 M1-210 is what I use and it is recommended for this application. I run 15W-40 Mobil 1 Delvac "Extreme" for the normal maintenance interval while still under warranty, although Mobil does say it is rated for twice that interval. One other note, Mobil 1 says this oil filter has a synthetic blend media, so if you wanted a full synthetic media, it sort of looks like your only option is the Amsoil EAO11. I could not find a Wix XP with synthetic media available anywhere?

Last edited:
I am looking for a synthetic oil filter for my 2021 GMC 2500 HD with a 6.6 Duramax diesel. GM # is PF26 and the Fram # is PH 2. Fram do not make an ultra and so far I am using NAPA gold, 100454. I would like to run a better filter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Roger
A better efficiency filter? What defines better for you?

How about Royal Purple if they make one for your engine? They are wire backed full synthetic and high efficiency.

Last edited:
Hi RogerB,
If you are ok with a synthetic blend media, here's what I found. My recommendation would be the longer life models since its going on that big diesel! I used a 2021 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLE 6.6 6599CC V8 Diesel Turbo VIN: Y-L5P in my research.

Purolator One PL11513 99.0% @20 Micron 15K Miles Synthetic blend media $13.49 at Advance Auto
Mobil 1 M1-210A 99.0% @30 Micron 20K Miles Synthetic blend media $11.44 at Walmart
Ecoguard Synthetic S11878 99.9% @25 Micron 10K Miles Synthetic blend media $14.52 on Amazon
STP Extended Life S45019XL 99.0% @20 Micron 10K Miles Synthetic blend media $19.49 at AutoZone
K&N Perf Gold HP2010 Synthetic blend media $17.99 at O'Reilly

This will be a little easier to read! :)

1676973000953.jpg

I added another choice, the Purolator Boss. Although it is specified for your vehicle on the Purolator site, I was not able to find it in any stores. The filter uses SmartFUSION™ Full Synthetic Media. There is a video on the Purolator site that explains it.

1676979386275.png

I added another choice, the Purolator Boss. Although it is specified for your vehicle on the Purolator site, I was not able to find it in any stores. The filter uses SmartFUSION™ Full Synthetic Media. There is a video on the Purolator site that explains it.

View attachment 141420
The Purolator products have a discrepancy in their claims ...
when I search for their products using the link above, the "One" is rated at 10k miles; the "Boss" at 15k miles (you have over-stated their claims)

but on these pages, it's as you claim

Meaning, Purolator has misleading info on their site. It may be that the specific filters (using the "part finder" link) has more accurate data, which would lead us to conclude that the info you posted above is wrong. There's no way to tell for sure, and I suspect the "tech support" folks are not going to be able to tell you the difference either.

Further, the Purolator efficiency claims are based only on one filter (the FL1A equivilant) and the Beta performance for any one specific model of fitler may not match that claim. This type of commonizing the efficiency claims is not unique to Purolator; Wix and others do it too. It's a relative means of comparing filters, but not always accurate.

For example, the common Wix claim of "2/20 = 6/20" does not apply to some of their fitlers; the 57151 for the Ford 6.7L diesel is "2/20/75=3/12/17"; this is far better than the normal statement they use for most filters. But, for the 2021 Dmax application, the WL10454 does not even have an efficiency claim at all ... Could we assume that the normal 2/20=6/20 applies?

My point is that it's misleading to make broad based claims like your chart, because for every rule there seems to be an exception. It's far more important to look up the unique applications and make a decision based on this, rather than some generic claim.

Wix aka napa gold are good filters that use a blended media + the XP actually filters less + is usually smaller from my experiences + ir reasonably priced.

when I search for their products using the link above, the "One" is rated at 10k miles; the "Boss" at 15k miles (you have over-stated their claims)

but on these pages, it's as you claim
The parts finder is probably old info ... even the huge PL30001 (the "ONE") shows it's rated for 10K miles. But the Purolator website shows 15K miles for the ONE and 20K miles for the BOSS on the box, so I'd have to say that's the accurate mileage rating at this time.

The FRAM PH2 is definitely available as an Ultra, the XG2. This is the Ford FL-820S filter (and HEMI filter), which crosses to the Fleetguard LF3681, which has a synthetic upgrade in the form of the LF16002:

Back