Synthetic in an old Triumph

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do have some interesting vehicles.
11.gif

I haven't personally , but in my old bikes I use best quality mineral multi grades , except for the total loss engines where I use a monograde.

My favourite mineral multigrade for classic machinery is Penrite , but I don't think thats availalble in the States.

Out of curiosity , what are the top minerals here ??

The minerals I use is usually a coin toss between Castrol GTX,Valovoline,and Pennzoil. Depends on my oil mood I guess :^)

I always used Castrol GTX 20W50 in my Honda CR500.

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk it unless you have recently replaced the gaskets/seals. Synthetic has a way of finding the weak spots. Otherwise I'd say no problem.

I'm using Brad Penn 20w50 Motorcycle oil. Pure Dino with a big additive package. Just sent a sample to Blackstone out of my 1974 Laverda 1000.

I would think it would work well in the old Triumph. If you can't find it use Rotella.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
I'm using Brad Penn 20w50 Motorcycle oil. Pure Dino with a big additive package. Just sent a sample to Blackstone out of my 1974 Laverda 1000.

I would think it would work well in the old Triumph. If you can't find it use Rotella.

Brad Penn is supposed to be very good
thumbsup2.gif

Hi,
DC_Stewart - Great bikes my family used to race them along with AJS, BSA, Matchless and Nortons

I would use a monograde SAE30 or SAE40 mineral lubricant - that's what they were designed around

I have heard that synth used in older engines will cause bore glazing due to the rings being unable to seal because of the much lower friction oil film. Also , it's important to use a viscosity close to the original recommendation so that the oil pump can maintain enough oil pressure. Older designs of oil pump were marginal at best !! It's a minor miracle that the oil pump in my Vincent Rapide can provide any circulation at all !!

my 2.164yen says to use either SRT 15w40 or YB Pennzoil sae30|40 or Exxon Superflo sae30|40 or Valvoline VR1 sae30|40

i had an old bike that i poured synth in. after about 2 month a nice puddle formed from flowing out the countershaft seal.
stick with conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back