Synthetic blend ok for engine break in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, new user here. I have a 06 Infiniti M45 that had its engine replaced at 33,000 miles. It was consuming about 2 quarts every 1000 miles. I had the oil changed at about 100 miles to get rid of any metal shavings from the engine and fill it with Castrol GTX 5w-30.

I was wondering if I could switch over to a synthetic blend or should wait a little longer. Winter is right around the corner and would like better protection. So far I only have put 600 miles on this new engine. What do you guys think.

Run it longer, or switch it out. Totally up to you. Only downside is the waste of good oil.

It consumed a lot of oil. Whenever you cold start the car it would blow blue smoke out the exhaust. The result was 2 quarts of oil burned every 1000 miles.

Personally, I would not use a synthetic for breakin unless it was already in the vehicle as OEM fill. My Vette came from the factory with synthetic oil and I left it as is. With any other vehicle I have always stayed with dino until 5k miles then switched to syn if I wanted to.

Run it for 3000 miles or 5000 km's to ensure proper ring break in. If you switch to synthetic too early, you might have the same issue's as before, burning oil or poor compression.

I agree, I always wait until 3,000 miles to switch to synthetic.

Now, my Corvette came with synthetic from factory, but I figure that engine tolerances were built to use synthetic from the begining.

You're supposed to use a single weight oil for break in.

However, break ins are usually not necessary these days.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81

Single weight oil?! Is there even a new car sold/manufactured these days with single weight in the sump?

Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan
Originally Posted By: sangyup81

Single weight oil?! Is there even a new car sold/manufactured these days with single weight in the sump?

Likewise, are you supposed to break in engines anymore these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back