synthetic blend info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of the common synthetic blend oils 5w30 that can be found at wally world(durablend, pennzoil blend, syntec blend, QS blend), shown to have CONCLUSIVELY better wear numbers than plain old chevron/texaco dino group II 5w30 oil?

I dunno if blend oils are really about wear numbers, although you can find good Syntec Blend UOAs. Blend oils are mostly supplanted now with their cousin, the Hi-Mi oil, which is more about seal conditoning. Their heavier viscosity *could* make for better wear numbers in a 5w-30.

Colorado, The only one that comes to mind after seeing some positive UOAs it the Castrol Synth Blend. ...and probably not by much, either.

The Castrol Syntec , Quaker State 4x4 Blend and Valvoline DuraBlend seem to hold their viscosity better than the dino's especially at 4k and over .

One might note that those are group III/II blends while the Quaker State High Performance Engine Blend and Mobil Drive Clean Plus Blends are PAO for the synthetic instead of group III .

Although the Valvoline Maxlife is not advertised as a blend , it technically is with it's 10-22% pao .

Two other pao blends are Schaeffers and Cam2 .

I'll pick up a quart of the Q-State High Performance Engine Blend today for a VOA since we have not seen this Pao blend yet here on the forum .

The Q-State Company has some cool stuff these days
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

Although the Valvoline Maxlife is not advertised as a blend , it technically is with it's 10-22% pao .

correction: Maxlife uses esters, not PAO's in it's formulation, as the esters provide the slight seal swelling properties.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Maxlife uses esters, not PAO's in it's formulation, as the esters provide the slight seal swelling properties.

Yeah! And it looks like those esters are cleaning my engine up nicely.

I'll keep using the Maxlife, though I am not impressed with the flash point listed for the 5w30. For 5w30, Durablend has an extremely high listed flash point for a 5w30. Wonder if it shows that high on a UOA. Must be pretty decent stuff. Hey, anybody know what the synthetic component of Durablend is? PAO, GPIII, ester?

So they've reformulated yet again? Sheesh, it's so hard to keep up with the changes they keep making to this oil!
dunno.gif

It is silly of them to use PAO now though, as that will make the oil more likely to leak in older vehicles.

quote:

Pat ,

The Maxlife still has the seal conditioner for the leaks , just some PAO to help it flow since it's a relatively hi-vi oil .

I should have got some when it was free .

Even though I was never impressed with the wear numbers when I used Maxlife in my LT1 (lead wear was a terrible 4.2ppm/1000 miles for instance!) I must say it held it's viscosity extremely well and it's TBN too.

I really wish I could've tried out some of the early Maxlife which had moly in it.

Sometimes and engine bearing can be swiped from temporary loss of oil film being starvation or actual shear and if moderate they will settle back in in terms of wear after running awhile . When they don't damage is severe , the layer is coming apart or in the rod bearings case the big end of the rod can be elongated from hi-rpm or just plain from a long life in service . I'm wondering if bearing swipe was what happened in your case ? It might have been from damaged Pre-Maxlife I suppose

It looks like it settled back in nicely if so .

[ January 23, 2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Sometimes and engine bearing can be swiped from temporary loss of oil film being starvation or actual shear and if moderate they will settle back in in terms of wear after running awhile . When they don't damage is severe , the layer is coming apart or in the rod bearings case the big end of the rod can be elongated from hi-rpm or just plain from a long life in service . I'm wondering if bearing swipe was what happened in your case ? It might have been from damaged Pre-Maxlife I suppose

It looks like it settled back in nicely if so .

Yep, my last UOA showed lead to be only 1ppm/1000miles, so all is good!
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

correction: Maxlife uses esters, not PAO's in it's formulation, as the esters provide the slight seal swelling properties.

Patman
smile.gif

The Maxlife uses 12-22% PAO with the CAS Registery # 68037-01-4 . One of many PAO's .

The latest advertisement for the oil lists among other " helps provide easier cold starts " . Good cold weather performance is something it lacked in the past and it was the PAO that helped Valvoline improve this oil from what I can tell . I remember seeing the MSDS a year ago and motor oil , 5% of some kind of Ester and the additives was all it showed .

Take a look at the revised and improved Maxlife
smile.gif

http://msds.ashland.com/ShowMSDS.asp?M=0355563&C=005&D=505&L=EN&F=ANSI&N=MAXLIFE+10W30+12/1+QT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back