synthetic after 120k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 grand prix v-6 which has always used petro based motor oil. Anyone know of concerns I should have about switching to synthetic oil at this point.
I can get shell synthetic at BJ's for about what I pay for
petroleum based motor oil.

When you first change one type of oil to another or one brand to another, especially from dino to syn, you may see some oil consumption at the first one or two oil changes.

I switched between dino and syn in my almost 300k miles LS400 without problems.

shell synthetic is petroleum based also, so does that mean it is not a true synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: theduck
shell synthetic is petroleum based also, so does that mean it is not a true synthetic oil.

Not much of anything on the shelf these days is 100% (or even majorly) synthetically derived. This doesn't mean that "synthetic" oils, such as Shell's synthetic, are bad oils.

Last edited:
No problem at all switching. I switched my 96 Grand Prix from PYB (what the previous owners used), to Mobil 1 at 130,000 miles. It's seen a few different synthetic oils in the mean time and now sits at 214k miles. No major leaks or consumption.

Change without qualm, the debate over true syn vs Group 3 syn is overblown in most cases as they are all great oils, a choice of a SOPUS oil is a good one.Just try it you'll like it.

I changed to Amsoil OW-30 at 118,000 miles. I have 347,000 miles on my 1993 Civic now.
I love the way the car runs on synthetic and will never go back to Dino oil again.

Originally Posted By: harry j
I changed to Amsoil OW-30 at 118,000 miles. I have 347,000 miles on my 1993 Civic now.
I love the way the car runs on synthetic and will never go back to Dino oil again.

Dino oils have changed substantially since 1993.
I went back to dino exclusively - no more full synths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back