Syntec by O'Reilly

Seems pointless to me. Nothing on the label explains why it's worth paying extra compared to the regular O'Reilly synthetic. Price-wise it's not a good value when whatever name brand oil is on sale is actually cheaper. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20201002_132716.jpg
    20201002_132716.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 575
  • 20201002_132722.jpg
    20201002_132722.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 579
So Castrol used to have Syntec (same spelling and all) as a trademark. But it shows up as "dead" for Castrol on the US Patent and Trademark Office site (at least from what I leafed through, I could have missed some other record).

Edit, found a "live" record for Syntec as a Castrol trademark (it didn't show Castol in one of the table fields as the others did for whatever reason, had to click through the actual record)
(record)

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn74495684&docId=CAR20200917174637 (recent filing for change of address)

***the unedited text below was premised on Castrol not retaining a Syntec trademark, which appears to be in error:
Castrol. is it still Omni?

So do we think Castrol is now making an oil for O'Reilly, or just licensing the Syntec brand name?

Last edited:
Container looks exactly like a Omni container like the other oil labeled O Reilly's.

Wording difference on the new syntec says "premium" full synthetic base stocks... Where the other one says "quality" full synthetic base stocks... I am wondering if this Syntec is the O Reilly's version of Mobil 1 EP??

Only way it would even make any sense. Which would mean on sale paired with a Microgard oil filter could be like $30.99 or $32.99 when paired with a Wix filter.

Wording difference on the new syntec says "premium" full synthetic base stocks... Where the other one says "quality" full synthetic base stocks... I am wondering if this Syntec is the O Reilly's version of Mobil 1 EP??...
That is what I am thinking as well, just their "premium" synthetic oil.
Just a way to compete with the likes of Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Platinum Ultra.

So Castrol used to have Syntec (same spelling and all) as a trademark. But it shows up as "dead" for Castrol on the US Patent and Trademark Office site (at least from what I leafed through, I could have missed some other record).

Edit, found a "live" record for Syntec as a Castrol trademark (it didn't show Castol in one of the table fields as the others did for whatever reason, had to click through the actual record)
(record)

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn74495684&docId=CAR20200917174637 (recent filing for change of address)

***the unedited text below was premised on Castrol not retaining a Syntec trademark, which appears to be in error:
Castrol. is it still Omni?

So do we think Castrol is now making an oil for O'Reilly, or just licensing the Syntec brand name?

As far as I know it's made by Omni but using the Syntec name.

Here we go. The O'reilly website has the term "BP Lubricants" associated with the Syntec product. Not anywhere on the actual webage that is displayed (unless ctrl F missed it)

But in the the web address itself (missed this last night when looking):

Also, if you "View page source" to see the actual html, it lists it in the meta data, specifically:

for "brand" the meta data has: >

this use of the name BP Lubricants for OReilly's Syntec is also what will appear in search engines when searching the right search phrase

googling "bp" "motor oil" will results in google spitting out the title (one page 2 for me):
BP Lubricants Syntec Motor Oil 5W-20 5 Quart SYN5205QT ...
which links to the O'reilly product

search also returns similar results for other viscosities (note, google search results are user dependent, you may see the result further down/ on a different page). The same title convention is also returned for an "image" search of the "bp" "motor oil"

Note: to be clear, not saying definitively bp specifically blends or bottles the product, Omni or someone may have it under contract with BP licensing, but this further shows BP is involved

for comparison, for the normal just O'Reilly oil (not the Syntec), the meta data is

Last edited:
Here we go. The O'reilly website has the term "BP Lubricants" associated with the Syntec product. Not anywhere on the actual webage that is displayed (unless ctrl F missed it)

But in the the web address itself (missed this last night when looking):

Also, if you "View page source" to see the actual html, it lists it in the meta data, specifically:

for "brand" the meta data has: >

this use of the name BP Lubricants for OReilly's Syntec is also what will appear in search engines when searching the right search phrase

googling "bp" "motor oil" will results in google spitting out the title (one page 2 for me):
BP Lubricants Syntec Motor Oil 5W-20 5 Quart SYN5205QT ...
which links to the O'reilly product

search also returns similar results for other viscosities (note, google search results are user dependent, you may see the result further down/ on a different page). The same title convention is also returned for an "image" search of the "bp" "motor oil"

Note: to be clear, not saying definitively bp specifically blends or bottles the product, Omni or someone may have it under contract with BP licensing, but this further shows BP is involved

for comparison, for the normal just O'Reilly oil (not the Syntec), the meta data is

Just found a news story on fuel and lubes that bp has partnered with Calumet to have them blend and bottle their oils at Shreveport Louisiana.... It will be officially announced in December...

Omni Speciality packaging located in Shreveport Louisiana will be responsible for blending this oil for O Reilly's it appears. Thus why the oil containers are exactly the same as the other ones.

So this is like you have found... A technically bp oil product...

Last edited:
Seems pointless to me. Nothing on the label explains why it's worth paying extra compared to the regular O'Reilly synthetic. Price-wise it's not a good value when whatever name brand oil is on sale is actually cheaper. Thoughts?
We actually just got the product shipped to our DC about a week ago. We will probably be getting our first shipment of it Thursday (oil day). As far as I can tell the main difference is that its API SP, which is like the newest rating from the manufacturer, hence the "for todays modern engines".

Just found a news story on fuel and lubes that bp has partnered with Calumet to have them blend and bottle their oils at Shreveport Louisiana.... It will be officially announced in December...

Omni Speciality packaging located in Shreveport Louisiana will be responsible for blending this oil for O Reilly's it appears. Thus why the oil containers are exactly the same as the other ones.

So this is like you have found... A technically bp oil product...

Good find. I was wondering how they could use the Syntec brand name even though it hasn’t been called that for some time now.

Not on the new bottles per their website. Who knows what old stock may be lurking around

Edge bottle from castrol site (example bottle for line, not actual bottle as no viscosity):

Old bottle with "Edge Formerly Syntec" name

Good find. I was wondering how they could use the Syntec brand name even though it hasn’t been called that for some time now.

You know what it took me a bit to realize that the lettering of the Syntec on those O Reilly's oil containers was just like the lettering on Castrol Syntec I used to buy in 2004 through 2008. That was pretty much the only oil I ran in my old Nissan Sentra.

I'm getting an oil change at Costco today (in Ontario,Canada) - on the invoice, it says:

Castrol Syntec Synthetic.

Not like it matters, given my limited driving mileage for the winter - but is that a full synthetic, or semi? Just curious as I've never had a full synthetic used in my 2007 Honda Accord.

Watched some of the indycar race today and O'Reilly had some Syntec from O'Reilly billboards/signage around the track (St pete road course). I haven't watched other indy races this year so don't know if they've been doing this at other races, but just thought it was interesting that it seems O'Reilly is putting some marketing dollars into this Syntec brand (even if they had already bought the signage before Syntec was introduced, they could've chosen another O'Reilly product or name to promote).

Of the 4 'national' auto parts stores (AZ, AAP, O'Reilly, and Napa), I can't think of another that is marketing their house brand (or in O'Reilly's case, a sub-brand) oil in such a manner (I don't mean online or SEO ads, etc). AAP and Napa don't have a separate brand name for their house oils (other than just using Carquest for AAP). Does AZ have an exclusive house brand oil? I know STP functions as the house brand at AZ, but is it exclusive to AZ? Seems to be for brick and mortar, but I see STP on amazon, sold "by amazon", not sold by some random seller who buys it at AZ and tries to mark it up for some unsuspecting web surfer. Anyways, just thought it notable O'Reilly seems to be trying to build / leverage some equity in the Syntec name

I've seen STP oil at Harborfreight before, not that they stock much in terms of oil, just the STP, PYB, and Rotella T4, I think most gas stations have a wider selection.

Back