Syn or Dino for New Snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll stick by my "syn" recommendation. The engine will "break in" just fine with synthetics. And, I agree with a quick first oil change to help remove debris.

The ease of starting in cold weather outweighs the savings of using dino oil for the first change. And, the syn will flow better when cold, possibly reducing wear.

The ease of starting probably has more to do with the fuel then the oil. Old stale gas from last season causes more grief then the type of oil in the motor. With a simple motor and electric start,you should get 30 years out a snow blower, unless you live in Alaska or Canada.,,

I guess I have 3 more years to go...
12.gif

1987 Honda HS55 w/manual pull
08.gif

Last edited:
Picked up a mint 1996 craftsman 27" with a 8hp on it. 12" impeller. Brand New tires on it. Brand New carb and even the old one came with it. Oh and new chute was put on. We got about 2 feet of snow in the last couple days and it worked great!

+1
I would break in with Synthetic. High end sports cars are factory filled with synthetics and they don't have any trouble. You could go out and buy a special break in oil. Royal Purple's break-in oil came into mind. It has no friction modifiers and has high ZDDP levels for anti-wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back