New ariens snowblower

I decided to get a new 254cc ariens snowblower with the ariens engine. I started it today for about 5 minutes to check the functionality, and yes the oil level was above minimum. All was well.

Tomorrow, since it started to rain, I'd like to run it 3 more cycles of 5 minutes with a complete cool down cycle in between runs, and then change the oil.

Now comes the big question. It calls for 5w30, which I have none. I have gallons of 5w20 idemitsu, or shell gas and truck 5w20. I also have 5w45 shell rotella. All of the above full synthetic. Which to use or should I just go get 5w30?
Thanks

Use what you have and just keep an eye on the oil level, basically check the oil each time you are gonna use it.

I decided to get a new 254cc ariens snowblower with the ariens engine. I started it today for about 5 minutes to check the functionality, and yes the oil level was above minimum. All was well.

Tomorrow, since it started to rain, I'd like to run it 3 more cycles of 5 minutes with a complete cool down cycle in between runs, and then change the oil.

Now comes the big question. It calls for 5w30, which I have none. I have gallons of 5w20 idemitsu, or shell gas and truck 5w20. I also have 5w45 shell rotella. All of the above full synthetic. Which to use or should I just go get 5w30?
Thanks
Best way to break in is loaded with snow and stick with 5w30 0w30 0w40 biggest thing I just wouldn’t be running the engine just because you think it’s helping it’s not.

Best way to break in is loaded with snow and stick with 5w30 0w30 0w40 biggest thing I just wouldn’t be running the engine just because you think it’s helping it’s not.
I had to make sure everything worked. And I figured heat cycling the engine was better than nothing. I dont see me changing the oil when it's 20 degrees outside and wanted to do it now.

Reactions: JC1
I had to make sure everything worked. And I figured heat cycling the engine was better than nothing. I dont see me changing the oil when it's 20 degrees outside and wanted to do it now.
After first hr being loaded is when you will get it broke in weather being on your side is just how it is plus oil change in 20f ain’t bad at all.

What does the owners manual say? I thought most of them say to change the oil out after the first 5 hours of use. You can change it now, but is also change it out after 5 hours.

Get yourself an hour meter for the snowblower.

Thanks
Most non-synthetic 5w30s are crap. You have 5w40 T6 in your stash.

I agree with an early oil change, or two I would run it under load. I would not use 0W20 or 5W20 oil in that engine. Either use what the owner's manual suggested, a good synthetic 0W30, 5W30, 0W40,or 5W40. Mobil 1 0W40 works quite well in snow blowers. ;) If you want to run it under a slight load you can engage the auger, and walk around with it, with the auger tilted up slightly. That would create a bit more load than just idling the machine at high rpms.

Snow blowers don't have air filters. If you use it in or after a snowstorm the snow's taken all the dust out of the air. You aren't really helping things by running it now.

Use the 5w40.

BTW the "Ariens" motor is chinese, aka "Chonda". It's not bad. If it starts surging you'll want to open up the main carb jet with a numbered hobby drill bit kit.

For a 'new' Snow-Thrower, I'd be inclined to use what manufacturer calls for.
A Test Run now will enable you to learn how to use the controls so when it snows, you're all set.

Also, check what other areas need lubrication, (such as drive chain and sprockets).
Check the Gear Box has grease/oil.
Read the Owners Manual.

Have extra Shear Bolts.

I'm using the Ariens Snow-Thrower my Father bought in 1977.

Enjoy your new machine.

Reactions: JC1
You just shelled out bucks for a new snowblower. Why would you skimp on the recommended oil for the sake of $4 a quart for something like Supertech synthetic 5w-30? Buy the 30.

Last edited:
Use the 5-30w as recommended. If your in a sub zero zone then 0-30w is OK as starting will be easier if stored in a shed vs a garage with power to use a E start.
Just as an example my buddies Generac stationary will fail to start with 5-30w at -0 F, needs 0-30w to crank and build oil pressure so it doesn't do a low oil shut down on a cold start. My stationary in that area has been on 0-30w for 8 yrs now. I couldn't start my old 5600w BS powered generator without 0-30w in it at sub zero F temps, couldn't recoil spin it over fast enough to fire never mind keeping it on the ground while pulling it over.
Full synth. oils for long life. My '95 junk MTD w/Tecumseh motor is still pumping out the snow for me in the cold Adirondack lake effect zone. My '05 Ariens blower in a warmer zone is doing fine 5-30w also.
The few bucks more for quality oils is worth it, motors will outlast the rest of the parts.
Both my blowers are happy using ST full synth. oils. Nothing wrong with the brand as it is API certified unlike some overpriced ''boutique'' oils.

It's new, read your manual and use what is recommended.. Too many self proclaimed chemists and engineers here offering their 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back