Syn. motor oil as a gun lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use engine oil on my guns, but I find that any oil is too thin.

Now, if someone would make some gun oil out of that 100cSt PAO.....

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Not enough anti-rust additives in normal motor oil for me.

Not a concern with Glocks
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Not enough anti-rust additives in normal motor oil for me.

Not a concern with Glocks
wink.gif

I've seen rust on Glocks.

They don't do a real good job finishing the dovetails for the sights...

On page 4 of that thread on GlockTalk, AustinTX talks about some type of Teflon Paste from Dupont that he will be trying out...

That seems interesting. I'll be keeping track to see how that turns out.

Come on guys, we're on an oil forum and you don't know better then that!

The only thing that the gun specific products offer is cleaning, but you can get dedicated products for cleaning the gun. Then you lube it. These do it all in one step products are a compromise.

On the weapons that I have the like grease I use Mobil 1 red grease as it runs a little more then most grease.

On the parts that require oil I use Rotella 15w-40. I have yet to have a problem over a couple thousand rounds.

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
On page 4 of that thread on GlockTalk, AustinTX talks about some type of Teflon Paste from Dupont that he will be trying out...

That seems interesting. I'll be keeping track to see how that turns out.

Sounds like Krytox.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Sounds like Krytox.

If it is, than those muzzle loader people would appreciate the nonflammable/no flash point aspect of it... DuPont Krytox FAQ.

Reading that FAQ makes me want to try it that much more.
It's non-hazardous (used in cosmetics), doesn't oxidize, it's chemically inert, safe on plastics, etc.,... I'm sold!

I use Mclube Sailcote on my racing scow sailboat. I think it is Krytox. I bought several cans of it for a pittance at a surplus store. Last can I got for less than a dollar.

I am considering using it on firearms, particularly for semiauto pistol slide rails.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

Last edited:
I'm currently switching from CLP to Aeroshell Fluid 18. The Aeroshell seems to work as good as the CLP did and at $26 a gallon it's a sight cheaper.

I agree that most guns work better wet than dry. Even the AK is recommended to be run wet with oil in dusty conditions according to a armorer's manual I ran across: http://www.box.net/shared/cu2djae1zb

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back