Syl Glyde….best for weatherstripping?

Wife bought a 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP and it has a ton of weatherstripping around the convertible top that’s in good shape as the car has always been garaged, but looking for the best product for preserving its 15 year old weatherstripping. How should I clean the weatherstripping before applying the Syl Glyde and should I apply a small amount and work it in as a thin layer? Is there a product better than Syl Glyde I should be using?

I’m not sure why sil glyde would be considered best. It’s an option that seems rubber safe.

Id wipe the seals with a damp cloth, then apply dielectric silicone grease, sil glyde, shin etsu (my favorite), Toyota red rubber grease, 303, whatever…

@PimTac , you use a certain rubber/plastics preservative do you not? Gyeon Preserve?

For rubber, see attached, as a good product, too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 28
Whatever you choose to use, be sure it doesn't attract dust and dirt. Or you'll have a monumental mess on your hands in a few thousand miles. Just look at what happens to car door hinges after they've been lubricated. You can grow plants in the door jambs they attract so much dirt.

This stuff is great.. A little goes a long way. You can purchase this online or at your local Honda dealer...
Yes, it doesn't take much and it lasts. As my 08 Liberty gets older I noticed the doors will freeze shut if we get rain that turns over to snow, or rain and a temperature drop. If I coat my weatherstripping in the fall I don't have any problems. If I forget getting into the Liberty can be a royal PITA under those conditions.

Reactions: hrv
Is the Shin Etsu fairly thin? I have used both the 3m and Syl Glyde - likely recommendations here - and I feel both are too thick for weather-strip?

Just clean the weather stripping. If you have to apply a brake lubricant to seal it, you need to replace the worn weatherstripping. I have made mistakes of appying dielectric silicone grease. It stuck so well that the weather stripping tore. Syl glide isn't going to preserve the weather stripping, it may help seal worn weather stripping.

Last edited:
@PimTac , you use a certain rubber/plastics preservative do you not? Gyeon Preserve?

For rubber, see attached, as a good product, too.
This is what I decided to try. Gummi Pfleg Stift……with a name like that, it’s got to be good! Gets great reviews on many of the car forums.

Please follow up with your impression of the Gummi Pfeg Stift.

For those praising Shin Etsu, isn't it just another silicone grease with a different label? How is it different than the oft recommended 3M and Mission silicone greases?

EDIT: I thought that maybe because it is listed as low temperature grease, it might be less thick, but it's ASTM penetration of 240-280 is equivalent to NLGI grade 2. "Honda part number 08798-9013 is now the shin Etsu G-30M"

Last edited:
My Tercel has always been terrible about everything freezing shut. If it was cold enough to have frost on the glass I was gonna have problems. When we started getting cold here I sprayed this on a red shop towel and wiped all the seals down with it. Haven’t had a problem all winter. My weatherstripping is in bad shape already so I can’t say anything for preserving it.

Attachments

• E25AF589-E9FC-45F6-9DBA-A8E64C78EA4C.jpeg
    E25AF589-E9FC-45F6-9DBA-A8E64C78EA4C.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 5
Please follow up with your impression of the Gummi Pfeg Stift.

For those praising Shin Etsu, isn't it just another silicone grease with a different label? How is it different than the oft recommended 3M and Mission silicone greases?

Thanks.
This German name reminds me of a line in the movie The Longest Day....remember the dummy solders they dropped on the Germans....The Germans found them and they made the comment...Gummipuppe....... :D

Save the Silglyde for something it's good at, whatever that is…

When it was available, BMW Gummi-Pflege in the tube was the bees' knees for rubber care, making it soft, pliable, and not leaving a greasy or oily residue on surfaces that might see unintended contaact.

It was interesting stuff, coming out of the tube in a thin paste consistency that would liquify upon contact, or with heat from your fingers. Apply, allow a few minutes for the carrier to flash off, and it would also avoid leaving grease trails on window glass at contact points on cars with frameless doors. That's a trait a grease like SG will not have.

Alas, it was discontinued long ago, and the 1Z product, or those like it, is the closest analog still available, in liquid instead of paste form.

303 is a protectant/sunscreen, and that's its strength, but does little to nothing in the way of conditioning, never mind having any sort of restorative properties. To be fair, none of these products do a lot in that respect, but some are better than others, and some do nothing at all.

Back