Swollen Lithium Battery

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
I have a Sony camera which uses a lithium battery model NP-BX1. When I went to place the battery into the charger it would not fit. Upon close inspection I see that the battery is swollen. I plan to dispose of it. Has anyone had anything like this happen to their lithium batteries? Makes me a bit leary of the other battery that I have.

We have had four Microsoft Surface laptops with swelled lithium batteries. I pulled them apart and took the SSD and the battery out before I disposed of them. The lithium batteries went to Batteries Plus for recycling and the SSDs get pulverized or get turned into an external backup hard drive.

I have a Sony camera which uses a lithium battery model NP-BX1. When I went to place the battery into the charger it would not fit. Upon close inspection I see that the battery is swollen. I plan to dispose of it. Has anyone had anything like this happen to their lithium batteries? Makes me a bit leary of the other battery that I have.

It happens. Can get really bad if it’s in a device where the battery is more or less sealed in. Had a Mac notebook computer where the battery sort of attached, but then swelled outward without really affecting the rest of the computer. Apple eventually offered a “service replacement” for less than a retail battery. It was eligible since it was under their nominal cycle rating, although it was maybe 6 years old. This was back when the user could easily replace the battery. It only came with a 90 day warranty while the retail replacement had a 1 year warranty. And they required that I exchange the defective battery, which wasn’t really a bad thing.

Had a USB power bank swell. Way past the warranty period and I just tossed it in the lithium-ion battery bin at a recycling center.

Also happened to me in a newer Mac that Apple didn’t consider user serviceable. It was already under the capacity where Apple considered it eligible for battery service, but it was also clearly pushing slightly against the trackpad where I couldn’t get a “click” to work reliably. The replacement fixed that problem.

Have a Sony camera but takes NP-BG1. Hasn't swollen but if it did, I'd put it in the garage on the concrete floor in a metal pan, along with a few other small Li-Ion I have piling up till I take them to be recycled. It is a fire hazard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but-

Lithium Batteries are NOT rechargeable
Lithium Ion Batteries are

Calling a rechargeable lithium ion battery a lithium battery isn’t technically wrong. There are lithium-manganese batteries, which are considered “lithium primary”. Those can be cylindrical or coin type, but there are also lithium ion equivalents that work in the same applications.

Have a Sony camera but takes NP-BG1. Hasn't swollen but if it did, I'd put it in the garage on the concrete floor in a metal pan, along with a few other small Li-Ion I have piling up till I take them to be recycled. It is a fire hazard.

A lot of electronics repair shops have a bucket of sand for lithium battery fires. It doesn’t necessarily smother and starve the battery of oxygen since there’s oxygen in the cell. But it is supposed to allow for a more controlled burn where it doesn’t just shoot flames everywhere.

Its a common failure mode esp. old or abused batteries.
I keep my handful of extra 18650's in one of those mini fireproof lock boxes.

Don't EVER recharge completely discharged LiIon batts.

Recharge early, recharge often. LiIon is NOT harmed by frequent recharges... AS LONG AS you only charge up to 80% of max charge. Most chargers will have LED's indicating charge %. If you can measure voltage, charge to around 3.6 volts per cell.

It’s gassing. The electrolyte has broken down to noncondensibles, and they are very flammable. Be careful! The battery is unsafe junk. Please replace it!

I had a Verizon hot spot that was plugged in all the time. It got swelled up battery. I put a timer in it that turns on and off a few times a day to keep the thing from always being on charge.

I come across it often with old laptop batteries; usually starting around 6 years old. It's easier to tell when the laptop batteries are covered in that soft paper-like plastic compared to hard plastic.

Back