Switching grades and brands

Most owner manuals state a wide range actually... if you look for it

oil-chart3.png
I get a chuckle at the difference between 10w-30 and 5w-30!

My car calls for a 0W-20 Dexos 1 Gen. 2 oil. It also states that under certain conditions a 0W-30 D1, G2 may be used. I'm running 5W-30 and don't think any more about it.

I normally run 5w30/10w30 and even 0w40 in my 0w20 recomended Toyota’s. Not an issue with the Viscosities or the Brands. Having run Castrol, Mobil 1, havoline, Shell Rotella in them.
A lot of people who try to extend changes to 15-20k and monitor the results with a UOA prefer to stick to a brand and grade because it removes a variable. But most of us stick to relatively conservative intervals of factory recommendation for intervals, to much less than that. At nearly 7k miles on the current fill I am itching to change the oil in my Tacoma, despite the fact that I do a lot of long highway trips and the factory recommends 10k miles for the service.

Asking a mechanic about oil is about as valid about asking them about the metallurgy of their snap on socket set. To many a mechanic, oil is a tool to accomplish a job and while they might legitimately see things like elevated consumption; unless they’re experts in chemical engineering or are enthusiasts most of what they “see” is a combination of hyperbole, old wives tales, and applied confirmation bias. I’d bet you the origin of this is some shop owner back in the stone age when synth was different; probably sold it to all their customers with older cars and it created issues. The rest is history with more iterative fiction added on over the years.

I come from the biopharma world, if you go sell to a doctor assuming they’re going to have a high level of knowledge about the minutiae of biology you’ll find yourself on the unemployment line in short order, lot of facets to running a business including understanding when and where to go narrow and deep and when and where not to.

Last edited:
I sure does. I've used XW-10 oil at 117 degrees with no observable effect on the car.

I haven’t seen a 10 grade oil yet but I see 16 grade every time I go to Wally’s.

We went over White Pass this past summer with temps in the mid 90’s to close to 100 near Yakima. The temperature gauge on the car stayed right at 215F. That was running 0w20.

The wife stocked up on Jam and honey.

Back