Switching from High Mileage oil back to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 03 BMW 330i with 131k miles on it. Last winter I noticed I had an oil leak. Being the weather was too cold and not wanting to pay the stealership for the repair I put a partial mix of High mileage Mobil 1 10w 40 to slow the leak. Prior to that I was running the Mobil 1 0w40. Due to Iowa temperatures hitting -30 degrees at times during the winter I did not want to run the straight M1 HM 10w40. So I drained half of the 0w 40 out and replaced it the HM variant. When spring rolled around I went to a straight HM 10w 40. The leak slowed but never stopped, finally got around to fixing the leak earlier this summer, leaky oil filter housing gasket. I now want to go back to the Mobil 1 0w 40. Is there going to be any problems switching from the Mobil 1 HM back to 0w 40. I have read some people say once you go High Mileage Oils your stuck with it. If that is the case my only other option is to do the mix again or go with the HM M1 5w 30 for the winter, however that is not rated ACEA 3.

Last edited:
No problem at all.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
have you changed your valve cover gasket yet? just changed one on a 2001 330CI with 146k. it was very hardened and not sealing well. it was also allowing oil to leak into one of the spark plug tubes past the coil boot.

Yup, I've done the valve cover Gasket. This is actually my 3rd BMW, so I've done it on all of them, since they have all been higher mileage when I got them. I did notice that the Valvoline is ACEA 3 rated also. I'll consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back