Switching from Ethylene to Propylene

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '07 Suzuki SX4, calls for a "High Quality" Ethylene Glycol Coolant, and I was wondering if it's safe to substitute with a Propylene based coolant?

If I wanted to use Amsoil's coolant, it would be propylene based. Would flushing and re-filling with the propylene based coolant cause any issues? Are there any benefits to using propylene over ethylene? Any adverse reactions in switching? What is better, Ethylene or Propylene?

I just switched in my Neon and so far so good. Gonna keep an eye on it so far. The stuff is really close.

Another alternative would be to just use the All Makes All Models stuff which is an EG base which would give you long life.

Give Pablo a call and see if they recommend it. If so should be great.

There should be no problem switching as long as the label says it meets whatever standard your car requires. Car manufacturers rarely mention propylene glycol since it's more expensive and hard to find... the only advantage it has over ethylene is being less toxic in case of spills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

My only experience with Propylene Glycol was the "Compleat PG" coolant sold by Cummins. It was blue. Seemed to work quite well- never saw problems of any sort from it in heavy diesel engines. Cooling systems running it were invariably squeaky clean, but with a wierd and almost paint-like blue coating inside.

Can't say about a Suzuki or Amsoil coolant.

They are completely compatible with one another, at least the glycols, the additives would be the only potential issue.

You should have no problems. I have switched a bunch of cars over. I have done it with Amsoil's old formulation and the new. No problems.
I have used Sierra as well in the past. Not in the same league as Amsoil IMO.......

I have read everything I could get my hands on going back 12 yrs on Propylene. I would rather have Propylene than ethylene leak on the ground. So that's why I run it. I would switch without a second thought.

Call Amsoil tech and ask them. It shows under the application chart. Save your receipts and run it. If you have problems make them guarantee it.

Forgot
If the antifreeze ever leaked in your engine oil it's way better to have propylene in it. Chevron did a study years ago that Amsoil used in their old brochure.

Much more bearing damage could happen to your engine if it "Ethylene " was in your engine too long as opposed to propylene.
shocked.gif

That DOW site says that the Pro-Gly coolant has a higher viscosity which can take more power to turn the water pump. I wonder if this would make much difference in fuel milage???

Does anyone on here who sells for Amsoil know if thier Pro-Gly coolant hurts milage??

I have never noticed any negative effects. You will never notice any effects on fuel economy butt dyno etc running one or the other. I have used Amsoil antifreeze for 12 yrs now. The old formulation and the new.

If anybody had an antifreeze that affected MPG I don't think it would be on the market long........
wink.gif

1. I have always heard from the coolant manufacturers and a coolant book I have, that ethylene and propylene glycols should never be mixed.
2. The best way to change coolants is to drain all the old coolant, and then flush the system with plain old water and run the car for a few minutes. Then drain all the water and fill with distilled water. Then drain all the distilled water and fill with your mixture of coolant/distilled water so that you obtain what ever coolant/distilled water ratio you are looking for.
3.Most forms of propylene glycol are more viscous than ethylene glycol, but the exact type of proylene glycol determines the actual viscosity in your engine. It probably won't make any difference when mixed with water.
4. A mixture of 50/50% propylene glyco and water and 50/50%ethylene glycol in water will have almost identical heat transfer characteristics. As you add more propylene glycol to the mix, the heat transfer will not be as good as ethylene glycol. It's true, but I don't know why it is true.

Are you guys SURE that mixing ethylene and propylene coolants is safe? I have always heard this is a very bad idea, though I have no idea what chemistry is involved.

Quote:

Then drain all the distilled water and fill with your mixture of coolant/distilled water so that you obtain what ever coolant/distilled water ratio you are looking for.

You'll never be able to drain all of the distilled water so you should drain what you can, add 1/2 of the cooling system's capacity in undiluted coolant, and fill the rest with distilled water.

I don't think it is a very good idea to mix antifreeze types together myself.
I think there is a difference between mixing types together vs changing out to another type.......

Amsoil said theirs is compatable with others. I would not mix antifreeze types as a rule.

If I had ethylene in the system I would flush it out. Or vice versa.

I assume there will at least be a drain and refill, or a flush and refill, but regardless they are compatible, at least the glycol components. Go to the same Dow website posted above and browse around, I am sure it talks about compatiblility somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back