Switching brands almost every oil change

It might even be preferable to some small extent, as different formulations protect to a minimum standards, but all vary slightly in their detergent and cleaning properties.
But even using the same brand oil does not guarantee that you will always have the exact same oil.
Formulations are always being tweaked, so an API SP oil made today may be different than an SP oil made in 8 months from now when you do your next oil change, even if it is the same brand and weight.
The API standard does say all oils must be compatible with each other, but you always hear those talking about additive clash (which I have never seen any proof of) being a potential problem.
And that is not even considering API changes. Who knows what API SQ or SR will be, besides being compatible with API SP.

I rarely use the same brand and weight oil in my vehicles (although I have just started using my Rotella Gas Truck stash, so some of my vehicles will be getting the same oil for a few changes), and have done quite a few frankenbrews in the past. as well as using different oils as top off oil. I think my F150 has 3-4 different oils in it now (original fill of Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 (SN), and 1 qt top offs of Supertech 5w-20 conventional SP, Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 SN, Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 SM, and maybe something else.

But even using the same brand oil does not guarantee that you will always have the exact same oil.
Formulations are always being tweaked, so an API SP oil made today may be different than an SP oil made in 8 months from now when you do your next oil change, even if it is the same brand and weight.
The API standard does say all oils must be compatible with each other, but you always hear those talking about additive clash (which I have never seen any proof of) being a potential problem.
And that is not even considering API changes. Who knows what API SQ or SR will be, besides being compatible with API SP.

I rarely use the same brand and weight oil in my vehicles (although I have just started using my Rotella Gas Truck stash, so some of my vehicles will be getting the same oil for a few changes), and have done quite a few frankenbrews in the past. as well as using different oils as top off oil. I think my F150 has 3-4 different oils in it now (original fill of Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 (SN), and 1 qt top offs of Supertech 5w-20 conventional SP, Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 SN, Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 SM, and maybe something else.

I don't disagree, formulations are always changing.....

A car could probably care less about whatever kind of rated frankebrew rolls through it.

I know guys that worked shops catch new drippings and use them,

The old metal oil cans that used the piercing nozzle. that can and nozzle always got stuck in the rack to drain into another container. Think of all the people that unknowingly got that quart in their car.

The old metal oil cans that used the piercing nozzle. that can and nozzle always got stuck in the rack to drain into another container. Think of all the people that unknowingly got that quart in their car.
I remember that!!! You be getting some weird blend quart

Yes ideally you'd use the same brand of oil every time. But the truth is, doing the oil service *regularly* is more important than using the same brand of oil. (And of course use the correct specified oil for your vehicle, but that goes without saying.) Keep up on maintenance and switch brands all you like, the engine will live a long happy life.

I have NEVER been brand loyal . Price , availability , rebates , all played a part in which brand I bought . It's worked ok for me for 50 years of changing oil .

I was for close to 15 years, all I used was Valvoline Maxlife. But that is because I was a manager for the company. But unfortunately, my health got bad and was unable to work anymore. But I continued to use Valvoline oil for years after. Up until about a year ago when I switched to synthetic oil..

Due to shopping for sales or wanting to try a new product etc my cars and mowers (plus the ones I service) rarely will get the same oil two OCI in a row - I have noticed no issues or excessive consumption resulting.

I have heard similar...it’s best to stick with one brand. I don’t.

It’s actually pretty rare for me to stay with the same brand for even two consecutive oil changes. Price, sales, rebates tend to dictate my decision.

Right now I’m 8,000 miles into an interval using Mobil1 0W20 EP. I’m planning on going 10,000 (for the first time ever), and for the first time in a long time I’ll be running the Mobil1 again (because I had a few quarts left over and I only needed to buy one 5 quart Mobil1 EP). And after that, it’ll be the end of the 10,000 mile intervals, and back to the 5,000 mile club.

I buy a whatever premium brand I can get on sale.

Right now it’s Castrol ep. Next will be Mobil 1 ep. Don’t have a fundamental problem with house brands—-I’ve seen too many good UOAs on Supertech synth. If a premium brand weren’t on sale I would go for it.

Used Motorcraft 5w-20 through the extended warranty period. Pre-Covid the changes at Ford Quicklane were on perma-sale. Excellent UOAs and plenty of moxie as long as you kept IOLM to 20%or so.

I buy a whatever premium brand I can get on sale.

Right now it’s Castrol ep. Next will be Mobil 1 ep. Don’t have a fundamental problem with house brands—-I’ve seen too many good UOAs on Supertech synth. If a premium brand weren’t on sale I would go for it.

Used Motorcraft 5w-20 through the extended warranty period. Pre-Covid the changes at Ford Quicklane were on perma-sale. Excellent UOAs and plenty of moxie as long as you kept IOLM to 20%or so.
I just bought two jugs of PUP 5w-20 for $19.88 each on Amazon. that price comes with a 25 buck rebate.

Usually I just buy what ever premium is on special Nulon/M1/penrite/Valvoline, however I have been using Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W30 in my known sludger as it's keeping it really clean and runs like a clock, plus I have quite a large stash now due to a half price clearance so I cleared out every store in my area 👍

I been switching more than I like to lately. Mainly shopping for best price not that I’m brand loyal but can’t get the NAPA full synthetic for $18.99 like I used to up in NY.

I gravitated to Pennzoil because of their $12.50 per jug rebate ( $25 for two jugs) for synthetic oil. Combine that with the Canadian Tire sales price of $34 and I am at $21.50 per 5 liter jug. That is $17.20 USD per jug. There aren't very many rebates available up here so I just use what’s cheapest for good quality oil. If I needed variety, I get that from the different type of rebates Pennzoil uses, which currently for me is a Starbucks card. ;)

Last edited:
There is a good aspect about sticking to one brand and it’s not having to worrying. No chasing rebates or looking for deal. You always know what you’re going to buy, you always buy your brand, and you move on about life. There is a simplicity to it which is nice.
+1

I'd be less than truthful if I said that price didn't matter. It does, but to a very small degree. I check the price at three sources and buy the oil at the source that offers the best deal. I look at WalMart, Amazon, and O'Reilly, make my choice, click, and I'm done. If there's a Mobil1 rebate, I'll consider that when making the purchase.

+1

I'd be less than truthful if I said that price didn't matter. It does, but to a very small degree. I check the price at three sources and buy the oil at the source that offers the best deal. I look at WalMart, Amazon, and O'Reilly, make my choice, click, and I'm done. If there's a Mobil1 rebate, I'll consider that when making the purchase.
There is a lot to be said about keeping life as simple as possible.

Back