Switching brands almost every oil change

I love thos forum. I do have a question as I see all these threads about this one is better then that one or they are all good and you can't go wrong no matter what you choose. Years back someone posted that it is better for your engine to stick with one brand because the add pack doing its job gets compromised when you put in a different brand that had an add pack that works differently resulting in less protection. Yet I see people changing brands all the time, mixing brands when they top off, consolidating jugs of oil into one jug, etc.. I also do this occasionally. Is this no longer an issue of concern? Or was it every really an issue in the past?

I love thos forum. I do have a question as I see all these threads about this one is better then that one or they are all good and you can't go wrong no matter what you choose. Years back someone posted that it is better for your engine to stick with one brand because the add pack doing its job gets compromised when you put in a different brand that had an add pack that works differently resulting in less protection. Yet I see people changing brands all the time, mixing brands when they top off, consolidating jugs of oil into one jug, etc.. I also do this occasionally. Is this no longer an issue of concern? Or was it every really an issue in the past?

This is how my oil change habits have been shaking out the last few years.

It doesn't much matter, at all really, changing from Oil A to Oil B to Oil C and then mixing Oil D with E.. Supertech, Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, I've probably had a mostly running combo of these for some time.

No oil related issues.

Older oil, new oil, as long as it's not the milkshake....

(EDIT: Okay, to your point, this has been with API SN and SP oils, probably some SM.. you're asking about older oils, on that I will now out.
also, milkshake oil would indicate coolant or water getting into oil, is what I mean by problem, and that would be a big one. Most threads are about grade and cleaning abilities, also sometimes base oils.)

Although its all anecdotal there are plenty of folks here that have vehicles with many hundreds of thousands of miles on them that have used whatever was on sale that meets the spec or have blended their own Frankenoil

Last edited:
Its a leftover vestige from a long time ago. Back when there was little regulation and standards governing manufacturing. There was no way to really know what you were buying and if it was safe to use.

You could be drinking formaldehyde, eating saw dust or putting pine tar in your engine. Once people knew a product was legit it was a smart move to keep using it vs swapping and risking buying a bad product from an unknown company

Now with all the regulations and standards it has become moot and it’s really just about personal preference more than anything.

I wonder where people get their ideas and how people believe anything. The additive packages are made by a hand full of companies. Been buying oil since 1967. Look at the uoas/voas and think about the add packs needed to meet the specs .

I noticed that after I switched from one brand used for many thousands of miles to another, the new oil got black fast.

I attribute it to different detergents working differently. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, I'll leave to you.

When my father was still able to do his own oil changes, he just bought whatever was on sale. None of our family vehicles, mostly Ford cars, an Econoline and even in a lapse of judgement, an Aerostar, had engine issues.

I switch all the time. It's all about price point for me while I'm standing in walmart that day. If a good oil is on roll back that's what I buy. I only use full syn. Mobil, valvoline. Castrol, quakerstate ect.
Do to rising pries I may try havoline next run in the box because I box is all I need 6 quarts

Switching won't harm anything. I've been doing it with beer brands all my life and I've got hundreds of thousands of miles on the same chassis.

beer.jpg

I noticed that after I switched from one brand used for many thousands of miles to another, the new oil got black fast.

I attribute it to different detergents working differently. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, I'll leave to you.
I came here to say this. I equate it to switching between shampoos occasionally. Your hair will feel totally different if you switch brands if you’ve been using one brand for a year straight.

It might even be preferable to some small extent, as different formulations protect to a minimum standards, but all vary slightly in their detergent and cleaning properties.

Been using same oil for the last 50+ years, if it ain't broke. ;)
I think this has a lot to do with people just don't like change and get comfort from not having to make decisions all the time. An example would be grocery shopping, I know what I like/want so when I get home and open a product there are no surprises. Although with the prices these days I'm finding some of the Great Value stuff isn't all that bad, either that or I'm getting old and my taste buds are shot 🤷‍♂️

LOL have you ever gotten a Thank you note from just one of those cars?
Yeah! never had a break down or any oil related problems, 200+ mileage with not one using oil between oil changes, could go on but you get the picture, that's thanks enough. :D

Back