Switched to synthetic...disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Just drive it like you stole it - turn up the stereo to mask out noises. You shouldn't run into any problems this way. If you do, then it was bound to break at some point. As they say, "if it breaks, don't just fix it - upgrade it."

I love this post...
wink.gif

Hey ramair8,

My question is, what intervals will you be using? I know you said you wanted to avoid varnish build-up, but if you were changing the GTX every 3mos/3k (& will do the same with the Amsoil), then I'm not sure switching is worthwhile.

If you're going to stick with short intervals, maybe you should keep the GTX & run Auto-Rx every 20k?

ramair8, I feel your pain. I cringe anytime I hear unusual or amplified noises in any type equipment. With as few miles as you obviously drive, Amsoil is overkill anyway. Go back to the Castrol and save the worry.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

quote:

Engine Knock on Cold Start
1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)

with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, T, Z, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ4)

This bulletin is being revised to add an additional engine to the models section.

Important
At this time, attempts to repair this condition by replacing the engine assembly or pistons are not recommended.

Please share the information found in this bulletin with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise your Area Service Manager.

This is common in all GM engines

My'98 3.4L Pontiac minivan has same predicament...
although a K&N oversize filter and M1 SS has deminished the noise a great deal..
J

Mike
Even if GM or whoever says it is normal or won't hurt anything I still think I would rather not have this noise at start up. Maybe they mean it will last long enough and they don't want to deal with it.

And sure, if the noise is being made with dino oil then try syntheic and see if that is the solution. Or try changing weights. But if it gets worse then try something else.

[ August 14, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: White 03 ]

offtopic.gif
Threads like this make me wonder if, when I go to buy my next car, I'll start the engine and it will start slapping and shaking and the salesman, as he notices the look on my face will say, "D-d-d-d-on't w-w-w-w-orry, a-a-a-a-all, th-th-th-these en-en-en-en-g-g-g-ines d-d-d-d-do l-l-l-l-like th-th-th-this!"

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Man, that's toooooooooo funny. I'm hearing a lot of concerns about varnishing. I'm like...."who cares???"....... I think that it is inevitable and that it is going to happen, period. And if so, it doesn't hurt anything? I mean you can't keep your new white Nike's white all the time, even if you do wash them....but they still work the same.

Oh, just noticed. Pscholte....how do you get so many posts up so quick? At the rate your posting, you'll be the "Mac Daddy" in no time
tongue.gif
wink.gif

[ August 14, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

quote:

Oh, just noticed. Pscholte....how do you get so many posts up so quick? At the rate your posting, you'll be the "Mac Daddy" in no time

He's like Patman on steroids!
smile.gif

Seriously, I think he must be a robot, or he never sleeps.
smile.gif

I find it rather pathetic how many car manufactures choose to deal with defective products by saying "this is normal."

I have friends who have had defective instument clusters in their Tahoe's and been told "we don't know how to fix it" another friend with a Ford Powerstroke where the Posi wouldn't work (one wheel would spin, even on grass, absolutely no torque going to the other) and the dealers answer "we checked it and that is how it should work."

I wish I could point to the domestic manufactures being the only ones to do this, but BMW has done it also, failing to reconize a defect in head gaskets in the early 90's 4 cylinder motor (90% failure rate at 60,000-80,000 miles) and fighting the failure of their early V8 engines.

At least toyota has said they will warrantee their sludge monster engines if there is a problem.

What happened to companies taking pride in their work and products?
patriot.gif
dunno.gif

Cary

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

He's like Patman on steroids!
smile.gif

Seriously, I think he must be a robot, or he never sleeps.
smile.gif

I am not a machine...a machine...a machine
grin.gif
By the way anybody know how to get "forehead oils" off your CRT?

Mike is it the sound of a bad lifter? Does the sound disapear after it warms up and then returns sometimes??? If yes then you probably have a bad pick-up tube o-ring! THeir is a TSB out for this! THeir are other seal related leak oil leak issues as well. The seal allows airation of the oil wich is bad!!! If this sounds like you let me know. I will point you and your dealer towards the TSB( Technical Service Bullitin)!

I have only used ac delco ultraguard oil filters on the car. I know for the mileage synthetic is a big waste of money, but I do ocassionally take the car to the drag strip and like the extra protection the synthetic will give me in those conditions. I am going to stick with amsoil for now, but may try a k&n or napa gold filter when I change the oil next time.

[ August 14, 2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: ramair8 ]

I think I would also be happier without the extra noise. A lot of people here say it won't hurt but I bet it doesn't help either. Reasonable change intervals with regular oil have been proven to work and that my be the best choice for your car.

Try switching back and see if the noise goes away and use the same filter to eliminate that as a cause. These people are ga ga about their synthic oil.

A little varnish may not be the worst thing to happen to a engine, probably better that the parts banging together.

But what of those complaining about the noise that are using the regular oil now or have been?

They are switching to synthetic to try and solve a problem that is inherent to the design of the engine. Read that TSB is posted, it wide spread.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

quote:

Engine Knock on Cold Start
1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)

with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, T, Z, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ4)

This bulletin is being revised to add an additional engine to the models section.

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first 19,000-24,000 km (12,000-15,000 mi) of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial start-up and typically disappears within the first 5-30 seconds (may last longer in extreme cold temperatures). The noise is usually more noticeable on the initial start-up when the temperature is below 10°C (50°F) and may be more pronounced on the first cold start following a long trip.

This noise may be caused by an interaction between carbon that has formed on the piston, the piston motion and the cylinder wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines with this condition, has confirmed that the noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine. THIS NOISE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE LONGEVITY OF ANY OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS.

Important
At this time, attempts to repair this condition by replacing the engine assembly or pistons are not recommended.

Please share the information found in this bulletin with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise your Area Service Manager.

This is common in all GM engines

That TSB must have changed because my 2002 LS1 Camaro is at the dealer as I type this getting NEW PISTONS. They said it was slapping to hard and the LS1 should not be louder then the DuraMax diesel. I didn't even have to argue with the dealer about it I just asked them to listen to the engine and their engine Tech said there is something wrong with the engine as "slapping" shold not be happening. They did say that it probibly would not cause any problems down the road but they wanted to do the rebuild just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back