Switch to synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father just purchased a used car. It is a 2002 Buick Lesabre Limited with 32,000 kms. It has been dealer maintained since new with dino oil as per the service records. The 3.8L engine calls for 10w-30 oil. I would want to switch to a synthetic oil next oil change. Good idea??? Any suggestions?

It should be no problem at all! What is the reason for the change to synthetic? People are going to ask, and their answers will be based on why you want to make the change.

BTW Welcome to BITOG!

Yea great idea to run a syn,one don't need a reason for the change to synthetic but you do get extended OCI capabilities with cleaner internals, better cold weather performance,better high heat protection so why not,plus great prices at wal-mart right now.

the 3800 is a great engine and will live forever on any good oil.

I would do the switch with Maxlife Semi Syn 10W30($15). It is a really good oil and it will clean things up in the engine.

I switched to synthetic in my 99 LeSabre with no ill effects after 30k miles of dino oil by the previous owner.

Originally Posted By: lewdwig
I'd go to a 5W-30.

If I made the change I'd use a 5W30 synthetic too, especially for the winter time. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go to a 5W-30.

If I made the change I'd use a 5W30 synthetic too, especially for the winter time. JMO

I would go for at least the 5W-30 as well but you could also run a 0W-30 if you wanted. My wife's 04 Grand Prix has the same motor and specs the 5W-30 but I run the 0W-30 in it. There is also $10 rebate from Mobil on that flavor right now.

SERIOUS said:
My father just purchased a used car. It is a 2002 Buick Lesabre Limited with 32,000 kms. It has been dealer maintained since new with dino oil as per the service records. The 3.8L engine calls for 10w-30 oil. I would want to switch to a synthetic oil next oil change. Good idea??? Any suggestions?

Serious. 32000 km in 7/8 years! Thats very low mileage.
I would try to find out how that car was driven. If it was driven
by some old lady at low speed/low rpm city driving then that
engine may be sludged up. I would clean that engine up first.
Use good dino oil like Pennzoil/Castrol with higher calcium
or even the GM Engine Oil Supplement and run it for 5000 km.
Note if there is oil usage. If there is, then keep doing this
for another 5000 km. Then switch to synthetic oil of your choice.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
If it was driven
by some old lady at low speed/low rpm city driving then that
engine may be sludged up.

With EFI and basic dealership maintenance, I don't agree on this part(sludged up? Come on!)

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd go to a 5W-30.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
Or at least a Syn Blend!

I would do a 5w-30 up there in the north also.

There are many good Syn Oils: Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Synpower. If you want to go long oil changes you could try Mobil 1 EP or Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
They got Walmart's up there? If so buy it by the jug and save some cash.
No not yet... Still only Igloo-Marts.
LOL.gif
(J/K)

The 5-30 is better than the 10-30 for you and most others.
The way multigrade oil works is that it behaves as a 5 weight when it's cold out [0F]. This is still WAY WAY thicker than being a 30 when it is hot [200F].
This is why many say no oil is thin enough at start up.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: ZZman
They got Walmart's up there? If so buy it by the jug and save some cash.
No not yet... Still only Igloo-Marts.
LOL.gif
(J/K)

We drive there in our snowmobiles, we have big, indoor arenas where we use our cars!

OVERK1LL Did you see the clearance section at Igloo-Mart where they had all the Snow on sale last week? I was tempted to get some!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
OVERK1LL Did you see the clearance section at Igloo-Mart where they had all the Snow on sale last week? I was tempted to get some!
grin2.gif

I bought an ice-box full of ice! I'm putting it with my ice stash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back