Switch to synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: StevieC
OVERK1LL Did you see the clearance section at Igloo-Mart where they had all the Snow on sale last week? I was tempted to get some!
grin2.gif

I bought an ice-box full of ice! I'm putting it with my ice stash!
crackmeup2.gif

I just found out my dad picked up some snow at the sale to finish his summer house. It's gonna be nice. He's having ice interlocking put on the driveway. I will post pics when it's done!
grin2.gif

If you go with synthetic I would consider a PAO oil.

Do we really save money using cheaper Grp III synthetic oils? Two weeks ago, I priced these oils from the local Wal-Mart along with an advertisement from O’Reilly, so they could be up or down but again this is just an estimate. Let us say we use the conventional oil on the basis of the 3,000 mile oil change and we vary the synthetic grp III according to one’s liking. Again, this is to each person’s one belief and is only simple mathematical facts for comparison. We can also assume any conventional oil can be used up to 3,000 miles and all synthetics can be used for a minimum of 5,000 miles. This is just for looks and laughs okay so please nobody needs to get upset or to snap their sphincters.

GTX Castrol 5w-30 Running time 3,000 miles cost $13.00
$13.00 for 5 qts
at Wal-Mart. Running time 1,000 miles cost $4.33
Running time 100 miles cost 43.3 cents
Running time 10 miles cos 4.3 cents

Pennzoil Platinum
All weights Running time 5,000 miles cost $20.00
$20.00 for 5 qts Running time 1,000 miles cost $4.00
at Wal-Mart Running time 100 miles cost .40 cents
Running time 10 miles cost .4 cebts

Pennzoil Platinum
Running time 6,000 miles cost $20.00
Running time 1,000 miles cost $3.3
Running time 100 miles cost 33.3 cents

O’Reilly house brand oil
$1.89 qt. Tax included
5 qta approx. $10.00
Running time 3,000 miles cost $10.00
Running time 1,000 miles cost $3.33
Running time 100 miles cost 33.3 cents

Presently, I use PP5W-30, but recently I have been asking why not keep open minded and look at another approach? Perhaps use a conventional house brand oil{not} to keep the cost the same with twice the changes or perhaps change to Schaeffers or Amsoil with more bang for the buck, longer OIC, and positive results, which I am considering since the cost of grp III{super conventional} is the same as conventional oil? Again, if your whoopee is not a beater this is just my thoughts not the Gospels. I would have compared other grp IIIs but their prices are even higher with no better results.

Thanks for your input guys!!! There is no sludge in this engine.
Pulled oil dipstick out and the colour of the oil is a clear
golden colour. Removed oil filler cap and the valvetrain is
squeaky clean. The previous owner was an older gentleman who
traded it in for a Cadillac. OCI shown on the reciepts were no
more than every 3,000 kms. I am not still sure if to use 5w30 or 10w30.

Originally Posted By: SERIOUS
My father just purchased a used car. It is a 2002 Buick Lesabre Limited with 32,000 kms. It has been dealer maintained since new with dino oil as per the service records. The 3.8L engine calls for 10w-30 oil. I would want to switch to a synthetic oil next oil change. Good idea??? Any suggestions?

SERIOUS,

10W-30 grade synthetic is offered by most if not all the brands. The variety is immense! Personally I like to use Mobil 1 "extended" and do my regular OCI's as prescribed by the book.

Durango

Originally Posted By: daman
your in canada it gets cold,use a 0 or 5w30 with out any problems i've had two of these engines.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: Quest
2KBMW said:
If it was driven
by some old lady at low speed/low rpm city driving then that
engine may be sludged up.

With EFI and basic dealership maintenance, I don't agree on this part(sludged up? Come on!)

32000 km in 7/8 years. That works out to less than 4500km/year
or 2800 miles/year. This car never had a chance to get hot enough
to burn off the water in the engine oil in winter driving a few
miles. If this engine dosn't have sludge from water mixing with
the oil then I don't know what engine will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back