sway bar end link bushings gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 toyota tundra, v8.

Basically they deteriorated with age and one is now missing from each side. therefore there is now some movement allowed by the end links. because of this movement, i am pretty sure it is like not having the sway bar installed at all.

i have replacement stuff on order, but until they arrive (should be monday):

#1) should i just drive like it is, with the missing bushings on the end links?
#2) should i completely remove the end links but leave the sway bar tightly mounted to the axle?
#3) should i remove everything (including the sway bar from the axle) and re-install when the new end links arrive?

what is your advice?

fyi: i tried every auto store in the area, no-one has the end-link size i need.

how long did you drive it without knowing the bushings were toast? i would drive it, maybe not pushing it hard until you get the new stuff installed.

its like the astro van i did brakes on at Sears, they complained about a squeak, when i pulled the tires off the rotor was separating from the hub and the inner pads were worn completely away and the piston was against the rotor vanes. people just drove it and had no idea.

I think you'll be all right as long as you take it slow around turns.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
2002 toyota tundra, v8.

Basically they deteriorated with age and one is now missing from each side. therefore there is now some movement allowed by the end links. because of this movement, i am pretty sure it is like not having the sway bar installed at all.

i have replacement stuff on order, but until they arrive (should be monday):

#1) should i just drive like it is, with the missing bushings on the end links?
#2) should i completely remove the end links but leave the sway bar tightly mounted to the axle?
#3) should i remove everything (including the sway bar from the axle) and re-install when the new end links arrive?

what is your advice?

fyi: i tried every auto store in the area, no-one has the end-link size i need.

Just take it easy around turns and you'll be fine. I drove an Avalon for a while before I found out that the end link bracket was broken on the front, and didn't even realize it. I assumed that all of these cars handled awfully. After repair, it felt... well, a little better. So enjoy your truck over the next two days, responsibly.

Mike,
Put in poly bushings.
It makes a big difference.
Wheeler's has kits.
Also do the Rack bushings.
I'm waiting for a kit to do my '07.
Fellow TS'er!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back