SUV for my dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: 7TFord
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
My 06 can get 25mpg highway all day long in the summer and you won't find too many engines that run smoother than the 4.7L.

Not unless you're doing 40 mph on the highway.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/advancedSearch.htm
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/advancedSearch.htm

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/4runner/71280-05-4runner-v8-real-world-gas/

Not 40mph but 60-65 certainly and no cruise control. No mileage computer either. Just old fashioned mathematics, liters-gallons and km-miles divide one into the other. Has a lot to do with the 5-speed auto and the WS fluid I'm thinking. I won't be getting that in the winter obviously.

Are you referring to Imperial gallons?

Yes. I assumed that was understood.

Well an imperial gallon is 4.5L and a US gallon is 3.85L so it makes quite a bit of difference when talking about mileage. For some reason car manufacturers up here are still allowed to advertise mileage ratings in miles per imperial gallon...

To the OP, check out a 2003-05 chevy tracker or suzuki vitara. Ours gets 27-30 hwy US mpg, driven with a light right foot, and still has low range and real 4wd. Many were sold with power nothing except steering and brakes. They are pretty simple and you can probably find low mileage ones owned by secretaries that haven't seen a dirt road, for much less than most SUV's.

Although I've had 2 Mariners, I wouldn't recommend the Escape/Mariner/Tribute for someone that size. The seats are horribly small in that vehicle. Too small for me @ 5'7". The seat bottom is way too short/narrow, and it ends about mid-thigh. Explorers with 4.6 3V can get 20 mpg on highway, but you probably won't be able to find one in that price (06+).

Best advice is to start shopping/driving, and buy what he feels comfortable in.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Well an imperial gallon is 4.5L and a US gallon is 3.85L so it makes quite a bit of difference when talking about mileage. For some reason car manufacturers up here are still allowed to advertise mileage ratings in miles per imperial gallon...

To the OP, check out a 2003-05 chevy tracker or suzuki vitara. Ours gets 27-30 hwy US mpg, driven with a light right foot, and still has low range and real 4wd. Many were sold with power nothing except steering and brakes. They are pretty simple and you can probably find low mileage ones owned by secretaries that haven't seen a dirt road, for much less than most SUV's.

Yes but I'm getting a real 25 mpg "Canadian" if you like and sometimes actually better if I drive slower, and I know guys that can barely get 14 in their Dodge Billy Goats. Granted the engine has 1L more of displacement than my 4.7L but they're still driving around with an empty box. Assuming that the engines are the same in the U.S. changing to that unit of measurement isn't that significant. Just use the one you know.

If the OP wants quality of ride and/or fuel economy and if he can get 27-30 with a Suzuki or Tracker AWD for instance I'll take the in the area of 21-23 mpg roughly U.S. I guess mine converts to, and ride in the luxury of a 4Runner for not a lot fewer mpg's in the big picture. Depends what he wants I guess.

--

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Yes but I'm getting a real 25 mpg "Canadian" if you like and sometimes actually better if I drive slower, and I know guys that can barely get 14 in their Dodge Billy Goats. Granted the engine has 1L more of displacement than my 4.7L but they're still driving around with an empty box. Assuming that the engines are the same in the U.S. changing to that unit of measurement isn't that significant. Just use the one you know.

If the OP wants quality of ride and/or fuel economy and if he can get 27-30 with a Suzuki or Tracker AWD for instance I'll take the in the area of 21-23 mpg roughly U.S. I guess mine converts to, and ride in the luxury of a 4Runner for not a lot fewer mpg's in the big picture. Depends what he wants I guess.

--

Imperial gallons are bigger so you get more miles out of them compared to US gallons, 16% more. So it matters which gallon you use.
Also a few mpg is more significant with lower efficiency vehicles. 12 or 10 mpg is 20% difference... 52 or 50 mpg is 4% difference.
I always throw the tracker out there as I don't think many people realize they are a "real" truck in terms of design, just that they are smaller. Most people don't tow alot and if you don't need lots of space they can do the job of A to B in any weather. The 99+ version is no benz but it rides like most econoboxes and the drivetrain is quiet.
I'm going to guess a V8 4runner is going to cost 2 or 3 times as much as the same year tracker which matters to some people.

If you want that kind of fuel economy and room and price and reliability, you have to look at something older, domestic, and not popular.

How much is a mid 90s bronco? or trooper? or something like that?

p.s. I don't think you can get a large SUV with 4WD or AWD that can do 20mpg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back