SUV for my dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Pa is talking about trading vehicles. Usually when he starts talking about it, he will find something to trade for within the next few months... so my time is limited here.

He's been a loyal GM owner for the past 50 years... and has ridiculed Fords for his entire life- all based on some 1956 Mercury he had once that was junk. But lately he's fed up with GM- to the point that he's actually thrown around the idea of buying a Ford. The past several GM's he's had have ran good, got good fuel mileage, and have done the job just fine... except that they break. He's had to deal with the GM intake gasket problem on every recent GM he's owned, along with assorted minor electrical issues and the like.

I've told him that in my opinion, a GM vehicle is just fine if you're willing and able to fix it on occasion. They're very cheap and functional... but they WILL break. They're fine for my purposes, but Pa isn't a mechanic (and I can't do the work for him as I live 900 miles away).

So he wants me to do some research and find some suggestions on what sort of SUV he should be looking at. He wants something that will get good fuel mileage (20+, anyway), have a reasonable amount of room (he's about 6'3", old and not very flexible), and that won't break. It needs to be 4wd or awd- either a traditional SUV or a crossover could work- but I suspect that crossovers will mostly be out of his price range. To make matters even more difficult... he doesn't have a whole lot of money- this will have to be a used vehicle with a price under $10k.

If price wasn't such an issue, I'd be leaning toward a Yota or a Subaru- but I suspect these will be out of his price range. I think a Ford Explorer won't get enough fuel mileage to suit him. Don't know enough about jeep/mopar to have much opinion, but I've been less than impressed with Jeep products in the past. Maybe something by Nissan/Mitsubishi/Isuzu/Hyundai/Kia?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Got to thinking about it, and he actually had a 1980-something Isuzu Trooper II many years ago (maybe it was a 1985 model). I was a teenager at the time. And that vehicle would meet all of his criteria. It was roomy, reliable, relatively cheap, got 20mpg... and that thing ran FOREVER with very few problems. The biggest drawback was that it was the most underpowered automotive vehicle I've ever driven- zero to 60 in OVER 30 seconds. Had a 1.9L engine and weighed over 4000lbs.

It was the subject of much joking and taunting while chugging up the hills back in Tennessee... creeping along in 3rd gear (it was a 4-speed). But it did the job, and in hindsight was one of his better vehicles.

Is there any modern equivalent to that thing? Something made within this decade?

Maybe a Ford Escape would fit the bill. Good on gas and still looks like a cool truck. I just bought a 03 for my daughter; she's pretty excited about driving it...

If I was looking for a SUV today I'd look at 3 vehicles;

1. Subaru Forester

2. Jeep Cherokee (Not a Grand one)

3. Ford Escape (Not thrilled with the Vulcan motor since mine 99 went through 2 sets in 108k)

In that order. I'd stay away from pretty well everything else.
He could find a nice 2005-2007 Forester for around $10-13k. Early 200x Cherokees go in the $4-8k range.

Not into Escapes but we have a few at work and they seem to be okay. The AWD on them is weak (in operation) compared to Subaru's (and pretty well everyone else but Audi) the Jeep would be PT with low range.

Take care, bill

I just looked on craigslist and you can get an '04 4Runner with the excellent 4.7L V8 for about $13k.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

3. Ford Escape (Not thrilled with the Vulcan motor since mine 99 went through 2 sets in 108k)

Escapes didn't use the Vulcan, they had the Duratec.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Escapes didn't use the Vulcan, they had the Duratec.

That is good.

I would 2nd the Cherokee! Not sure you would get the 20MPG but its far less than 10K so he would save a lot on the initial purchase.

If I was your PA I'd go american this time around. Considering the current situation american built cars/trucks are quality buily BUT no car or truck is 100% unless you spend money to keep it up!!!!! That includes any foreign car or truck made.

My current SUV is an 01' Dodge Durango 4.7L V-8 and has been running extremly well since bought new. Almost have 81K on the odometer and no issues with the serpintine belt or the water pump. I use synthetic in the motor and always keep a good eye on the filters. Gas mileage is good and get a consistant 20 MPG on the highway and has excellent range due to it's 25 gallon tank which only needs regular gas to operate. The only expensive part I had to change was an oxygen sensor. Otherwise I'm a very happy camper with it.

If you really want a foreign SUV I'd look into an Hyundai or perhaps a KIA depending on how big you dad wants.

Durango

Finding a roomy SUV that gets good mileage for under $10,000 will be challenging. Most of the roomier SUV's will have a hard time beating 20mpg. A 20+mpg SUV will be pretty small.

You can find 2001-2003 Honda CRV's for under $10k with AWD. Same with Toyota RAV4. He needs to sit in them and drive one to see if he like it.

The Ford Escape will not be much better in terms of comfort but it will be a little cheaper than Hon/Toy.

If dad is willing to think outside the box, a Mitsubishi Outlander would work. Price is right, its a little bigger than the compact SUV's, and 4 cyl mileage is good.

The $10k limit put you into the choppy riding/noisy compact SUV's like the 2001-2005 RAV, early 2000's CRV, 2000's Subaru Forester. All improved by huge bounds in current generation.

I would move up to mid-size SUV and domestic for a reasonable ride in this price range.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I just looked on craigslist and you can get an '04 4Runner with the excellent 4.7L V8 for about $13k.
That suggestion makes too much sense and will be thus ignored.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Maybe a Ford Escape would fit the bill. Good on gas and still looks like a cool truck.

+1

My friend has a 03 and a 02 Escape...He loves them both.

....+1 on the 4Runner. My 06 can get 25mpg highway all day long in the summer and you won't find too many engines that run smoother than the 4.7L. Treat him to one! A lot of cons for the Subaru. I already inquired here.

__

Another cherokee vote. You can put car tires on and keep the speed down and get 20 MPG if not several more.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: 7TFord
My 06 can get 25mpg highway all day long in the summer and you won't find too many engines that run smoother than the 4.7L.

Not unless you're doing 40 mph on the highway.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/advancedSearch.htm
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/4runner/71280-05-4runner-v8-real-world-gas/

Not 40mph but 60-65 certainly and no cruise control. No mileage computer either. Just old fashioned mathematics, liters-gallons and km-miles divide one into the other. Has a lot to do with the 5-speed auto and the WS fluid I'm thinking. I won't be getting that in the winter obviously.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
My 06 can get 25mpg highway all day long in the summer and you won't find too many engines that run smoother than the 4.7L.

Not unless you're doing 40 mph on the highway.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/4runner/71280-05-4runner-v8-real-world-gas/

Not 40mph but 60-65 certainly and no cruise control. No mileage computer either. Just old fashioned mathematics, liters-gallons and km-miles divide one into the other. Has a lot to do with the 5-speed auto and the WS fluid I'm thinking. I won't be getting that in the winter obviously.

Are you referring to Imperial gallons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back