Survival knife ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an article where they compared all the big names, Ontario, Becker, ESEE, etc, and the knife they preferred and that came out on top was the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro Knife. They sell two versions of this knife. The slightly more expensive Ultimate Pro model is full tang, has better steel, and is more durable. It also comes with a nice sheath, fire starter, and knife blade sharpener. I agree the Bear Grylls marketing is pretty lame, but if you look at the knife itself, its about perfect for a survival knife.

Also, a bunch of YouTube knife/bushcraft/survival channels, abused the heck out of one. When they were done with it, they shipped it to the next reviewer. They completely utterly abused the snot out of it and all came away highly impressed with its durability.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Grylls-Ult...ber+Bear+Grylls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw8JxaDQ9ZY

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I read an article where they compared all the big names, Ontario, Becker, ESEE, etc, and the knife they preferred and that came out on top was the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro Knife. They sell two versions of this knife. The slightly more expensive Ultimate Pro model is full tang, has better steel, and is more durable. It also comes with a nice sheath, fire starter, and knife blade sharpener. I agree the Bear Grylls marketing is pretty lame, but if you look at the knife itself, its about perfect for a survival knife.

Also, a bunch of YouTube knife/bushcraft/survival channels, abused the heck out of one. When they were done with it, they shipped it to the next reviewer. They completely utterly abused the snot out of it and all came away highly impressed with its durability.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Grylls-Ult...ber+Bear+Grylls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw8JxaDQ9ZY

Yeah, the BG Pro does very well, despite the Bear's name being on it.
wink.gif
Here is a review from a popular knife forum to which I belong/participate.
For the guys on this knife forum to say ANYTHING positive about a Gerber means the knife must be pretty darn good! They still hold lots of grudges for Fiscars buying out Gerber years ago and turning it into another of those cheap Chinese made knife companies (for the most part, but they still do have a few good knives) pumping out knives with overall poor fit and finish and blade steel as soft as butter.

Last edited:
I add another recommendation for Esee. I've had one on patrol for almost all of my 16 years as a cop. Another is on my TAC Response Vest. While thy sure aren't cheap, the cost is low for the quality you get. For the dollar, very hard to beat KaBar.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard

Buck 119

That Buck knife looks so good you could get married with it on your hip.
That's a Stepping-Out knife.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: DriveHard

Buck 119

That Buck knife looks so good you could get married with it on your hip.
That's a Stepping-Out knife.

It does look good - couldn't agree more. IMHO one of the best looking (if not the best) knives on the market. I don't carry it to be pretty though...mine is used as it should be. Cleaning game, shaving wood, pounding tent stakes, etc. Mine is probably about 10 to 12 years old and still looks good but certainly not like new anymore.

I have a nice, custom, full sized folding/locking knife that I carry. It's tough as nails and can be used without worry. But if given the choice, I'd prefer the updated short KA-BAR with the rubber handle.

My definition of a "survival knife" is one that you have on your person at all times. So, it doesn't have to be large, strong, or expensive. It just needs to be present and relatively sharp. If you work in an office like I do you're not going to have a fixed blade on your belt all day most of the time. At one point in my life I would have said a survival knife was the type that Rambo carried. Now, it's a small, pocketable high value (not expensive) folder with a useful blade shape and a keen edge.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have no interest in fixed blade knives, but from the testing I've seen Mora is one of the best bang-for-your-buck brands. The "Robust" series are incredibly tough.

Mora is nice for the money. I like the sheath too. Bought this one for $12 shipped a couple years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companio...684F7Q&th=1

If I wanted to spend a little bit more money, I would buy a SOG Seal Pup or Seal Pup Elite. Had a USMC Kabar that I carried in my rig for years and years. A driver borrowed my truck over the weekend because his was broke down, and he freaking stole the Kabar and CB radio, and then quit the company.

I know that I posted in the past that Mora was a high value brand. That is what people (and testing) say about them. I don't know what it is about the Scandi grind that doesn't appeal to me. It's just a style thing. I like the look and feel of a flat or hollow grind better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back