Supertech

Status
Not open for further replies.
are Supertech oil filters any good for a 3.7 Jeep. Currently run YB with and 4000 OCI. Right now using proselect...but NAPA is not the most convenient place to get to in my location.....

Any significant difference between the Supertech and the Proselect for my application....

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Originally Posted By: jediwebmstr
are Supertech oil filters any good for a 3.7 Jeep. Currently run YB with and 4000 OCI. Right now using proselect...but NAPA is not the most convenient place to get to in my location.....

Any significant difference between the Supertech and the Proselect for my application....

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Nope! DOn't buy them !

That way, what you missed out on ST filters, I can buy them in lots of 10 or 20 and stock up for myself and my family+extended family + friends....

Buuwaahhhaaahhhaaa...haa...ahhaaaa!

*seriously, ST oil filters are might fine by my standards. I wouldn't hesitate to use them in any way*

thumbsup2.gif

have yuou ever taken one apart?

The filter medium can be torn like a peice of paper--for the extra couple of bucks either Purolator or Fram

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
have yuou ever taken one apart?

The filter medium can be torn like a peice of paper--for the extra couple of bucks either Purolator or Fram

Steve

And half as much media and a dome end bypass.

Originally Posted By: steve20
The filter medium can be torn like a peice of paper

It is paper though.

I have a ST on my Saturn right now. I'm always looking to save a few pennies here and there. However, from watching the rebates, sales and promotions forum here...I have found plenty of good deals on discounted oils. I figure with the money I save on the oil, I can spring for a better filter. I have a PureOne set to go on the Saturn with the next OC.

I just changed the oil on my Honda Passport using QHP and a PureOne filter. Total cost was around $17 and that was with buying a new drain plug and gasket.

If your engine calls for the PH3600/ST3600, then I would upgrade slightly to the Motorcraft FL400S nearby for another dollar. Up front bypass and silicone rubber ADBV, and made by Purolator for Motorcraft. A worthwhile and cheap upgrade.

I've come back to the site after being away for a while.Anyway..I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that the wife and I bought last week for her.I used the Motorcraft oil filter as to be honest,I don't like the way the ST filters are constructed now.They are smaller and the filter media has some gauze like material in it.We use these at the post office(I'm in the fleet shop)and I've seen some of this gauze like material hanging loose in the filter base.Only seen it twice.

For the few cents extra for the Motorcraft.I'll use it.

I imagine that you've also pulled two mated surfaces apart and had a floating gasket in there too. As long as the fabric was in place, it performed its appointed task. The smaller size is due to no hardware being required to hold the assembly tight against the end cap. No spring. No spacer. No dome end bypass valve.

It could be said that regular filters waste space where no media is present (if one wanted an alternative way of saying it).

Buy on value or perceived value. Get your money's worth out of whatever filter you buy.

Just seeing the gauze like material hanging out of the used filter was proof enough for me.Imagine if that had went thru the engine.

The old ST filters I used all the time,they were a great filter and a lot better than the "new" ST filter now.

Last edited:
webautorx1998caravan.jpg

I think this ST16 filter held up pretty well with the Auto-Rx treatment at 1500 miles. Felt end caps are attached. Filter did its job and then some.

Wow, that's a lot of carbon chunks in that filter!

As for SuperTech filters, they are okay. I was recently in the market for filters. The SuperTech ST3614 for my car was $2.97 + tax, while the Wix 51348 was only $3.48 (no shipping or tax). Since the Wix was only a few 20 cents more than the SuperTech, I went with the Wix.

I suggest that you look into Wix filters. They aren't of the best quality, but they are a step above the SuperTech. SuperTech filters are no longer a value like they once were, especially if you can get Wix for about the same price.

I been using SuperTech oil filters for the last two years, and I have not complaints about it. It's a great bargain, and performs more than I expected.

My oil filter looks like that after I used MMO with Havoline DS for a couple of times. When I looked in my oil drain pan, I saw the same hard, sludge particles.
Originally Posted By: SWHeat
webautorx1998caravan.jpg

I think this ST16 filter held up pretty well with the Auto-Rx treatment at 1500 miles. Felt end caps are attached. Filter did its job and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back