Supertech vs pure one:what the boxes say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to pop your bubble, Ed, but both filter "brands" were tested by Champion Labs because both "brands" are made by Champion Labs. Scary, huh? But, you go ahead and buy the $5.00 Mobil 1s, and I'll continue buying the $1.97 SuperTechs.

are you sure about that ray? the supertechs are champions, but the pure ones are purolaters. maybe thinking about the champion made mobil 1's?

Purolator Pure One filters are made by ArvinMeritor.

What they don't tell is the particle size that was trapped with 98 or 99% efficiency. 20 micron @ 98% is better than 30 micron @ 99% -- and I don't know the exact numbers for these filters.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
The supertech is tested with 10-20 micron particles. I have no idea on the pure one.

Supposedly the ST is 20 microns. That's based on previous posts. And ur right we don't know the size of Purolators particles
dunno.gif

You know, one thing that catches my eye from the Purolator website, PureOne, FAQ's.....
Fine Dust?.....Sound like just the kind of grit I would want my oil filter to remove.
Purolator WebSite
"What is the Multiple Pass Test?"
The Multiple Pass Test of Life and Weighted Average Efficiency (SAE J806) tests a series of oil filter performance variables using a constant flow of contaminated oil through the filter. It measures the media's ability to remove fine dust from oil over an extended period of time-not just the first pass through.

Only place I've seen M1's is at Autozone and they are about $12.00
thumbsdown.gif
. Used to be $8.99 a few years back. Almost cheaper to order Amsoil oil filters instead of M1.
cheers.gif

Al,

go to the Pureoil.com website ... Purolator publishes very specific information on their filters.

My mistake, guys - I read "Pure One" in Ed's initial post, but it registered "Mobil 1" in my partially functional brain. (I really don't know why considering how conscientiously I tried to preserve it in alcohol in college...) I didn't realize that "Mobil 1" oil filters were THAT pricey. I'd seen some on clearance at K-mart a while back for ~$5.00.

I use the ST5 Walmart Super Tech on my 383 LT1 Stroker. It is either that filter or the Proline 5 series filter (Pep Boys) they are both truck filers so they each hold a quart of oil. I change my oil every 2000 miles or in the summer every 10-15 passes down the 1/4 mile. I like the cheap filters because they flow better and more pressure means my bearings are going to live longer and when you have a 2,500 dollar bottom end and about 7k invested in the rest you want stuff to live. I even use the Super Tech on my Jeep and have been very happy. BTW I run a mix of 3 quarts 10w30 M1 and 3 quarts 15w50 M1 in my LT1 I get about 30psi idle (loping between 650-800 and around 50 psi cruise and 65-70 psi at full throttle) and straight 10w30 MaxLife in the Jeep.

NOPE.
ST box lists both tests. 98% single pass HS806 test, 99% multipass j1858 test.

pureone
98% multipass sae (no test number given).

Also not clear if the tests can be run to catch different size particles, or if the particle size is specified in the test.
Also pureone data does not define "fine dust"- in all those wrods.
Sorta like the 3m Filtreate filters for your house HVAC system - they tell you everything except what sixe particles it takes out

so its all a lot of mumbo jumbo with numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back