SuperTech Synthetic 5w20 For Cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah if they were cheaper I'd run them. I think what I will do is run some of that Gumout Tune Up stuff in the oil at idle for like 10-15 minutes with my current fill, then put in some SuperTech 5w30 and MMO for a little bit and call it good. There's probably not a lot of sludge in there, but just to be sure I can do that. I was changing the PCV just because it was cheap and it had never been changed, that's when I noticed the sludgy stuff on it.

Lethal1ty17, thats a good plan. The supertech will thin to a 20, which is fine here, using MMO. An old thread on MMO cited its cleaners in there.
Its about all one can do on a car with lots of miles.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Lethal1ty17, thats a good plan. The supertech will thin to a 20, which is fine here, using MMO. An old thread on MMO cited its cleaners in there.
Its about all one can do on a car with lots of miles.

I may even go with a 5w40 if Supertech has it in synthetic, just to be safe. My Genesis has 189,000+ miles on it so far and I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. I'd rather clean it out slow and smooth. I won't take a sample this time with the Edge EP, I've taken enough samples for UOA's in the past that I know generally 10-12k is the limit with my driving style, so there is no point in doing another now. I may take on on the sample after the MMO mix...maybe not.

I don't think you need any cleaner if it looks good in the fill hole.
With your driving habits I don't see any reason for sludge unless you have a little coolant leak.
I am against cleaners unless it's a last resort.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I don't think you need any cleaner if it looks good in the fill hole.
With your driving habits I don't see any reason for sludge unless you have a little coolant leak.
I am against cleaners unless it's a last resort.

There have been several instances where the filler hole looks clean but the rest isn't. I'm just doing it as a precaution at this point. Coolant has never shown up in any of my UOA's either.

Is using a cleaner because you think maybe you have a little sludge worth the risk of getting your oil pump screen clogged.
You seem to take care of your oci properly so I can't see you having sludge.
Anyway, let us know what happens.

Believe it or not but SuperTech Synthetic is even good for a whole entire OCI
wink.gif

That said, why synthetic for a short OCI, maybe you don't trust the lubrication of conventional with your engine?

So I ran some of the Gumout stuff in the oil for the recommended time and then changed it. There was no discernable difference in oil color on a paper towel from the dipstick when I checked before and after running it through the engine. Purolator Pure One filter that came out looked perfect. Refilled with SuperTech Synthetic High Mileage 5w30 and some MMO with a standard Purolator filter. They didn't have a synthetic 5w40 so the 5w30 should work, figured the high mileage formula couldn't hurt, I was really just curious to see if it made any difference at all. Car seems to start, idle, and drive the same for now, will probably run it 3,000 miles or so then change it again.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
How long did you run the cleaner?

The 10 minutes it said on the back of the can. Oil was hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back