SuperTech ST9688 new look, same filter.

Sad really as the newer e-core tubes are fine. The original e*core tube was a problem
in some applications.
I wouldn't think twice about using a filter with the e-core tube.

Exactly right ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The original ones were made a good bit stupid and welfare by not having enough interior reinforcement. That did make them weak and prone to having breaking issues. Since they have been rectified with a fair amount of added reinforcement on the inside those filters look extremely good upon cutting and opening them.

In case anyone missed it, there is a youtube video floating around that shows the MP and ST cut open and the only difference was the adbv being silicone.
The media might look the same, but it would have to be different to be rated at 20K vs 10K miles.

The media might look the same, but it would have to be different to be rated at 20K vs 10K miles.
They could be using the same media for both since the efficiency and micron ratings are the same. Cheaper to use one media that could meet both requirements than have two different media. That would mean that the regular ST is capable of longer but the ADBV being the limitation. Could be the same media as the M1 filters.

They could be using the same media for both since the efficiency and micron ratings are the same. Cheaper to use one media that could meet both requirements than have two different media. That would mean that the regular ST is capable of longer but the ADBV being the limitation. Could be the same media as the M1 filters.
The M1 media might be used in the MP series. Only an ISO test (flow and filtering efficiency) of both media could tell how different they may be or not. Two media types could be the same efficiency, but one could have way more holding capacity than the other. Just visually looking at media can't sort any of that out.

Last edited:
The M1 media might be used in the MP series. Only an ISO test (flow and filtering efficiency) of both media could tell how different they may be or not. Two media types could be the same efficiency, but one could have way more holding capacity than the other. Just visually looking at media can't sort any of that out.
I think you're right. Mobil 1 looks to be going away, theres very little stock left. Pretty much the same spec as the champ made m1 filter.

I’m hoping they make an upgraded 3614
Yesterday was able to look at an MP3614 for first time and it appears they have changed to the newer hybrid design with separate poppet bypass, orange button. Obviously couldn't see if the endcaps are metal but no reason to think they are not the same as others now. So different than ST3614, at least currently.

As for ST vs MP, lacking definitive proof the contrary, and noting identical efficiency spec and yt comparison posted here and other MP thread, agree with previous poster saying same filters expecting adbv difference. That said, idk if it's M1 media, thought M1 had higher rating, but as I've never used one never paid that close attention.

Glad the ST9688 is still around. My store had none, just the new MP, and no space on the shelf for ST.
It looked to be undergoing a shelf space shuffle, so maybe they will be back in stock by the time I need them.

For the price, they are a great filter for my Hyundai/Kia needs.

Back