Supertech St3675 Ecore 4000 miles photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Last week it was the same filter, but older style.

This week, Ecore with 4000 miles.

Oil was Chevron 5w-30.

Filter;

-

Element looking at top into the core;

-

Element looking at Seam;

-

Bottom of element with spring holder;

-

Bottom of element / End cap;

-

Element with end cap taken off and opened up / center core;

-

Element was tight onto end caps. Took alot of effort to get the end cap off to "fan" the filter for photo.

The end spring was tight into end cap and filter element was into can very well.

Seam for element was sealed well.

Rubber valve was excellent cond.

Just like every other filter I've cut open, it was in excellent condition.

I'll keep using these as they get the job done and work 100%.
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Was not the best job I've done on cutting the filter open.. (you can tell when I've had only 3 hours of sleep)

Nice Job!

Chevy application? Is there a UOA to follow?

I was examining the STP labeled variant (S3675) at Autozone. I'm starting to warm-up to these filters. I haven't seen the AC Delco version yet.

What is the media composition and micron rating of these filters?

Bowser

Nice work, thanks for sharing. I'm going to buy some as soon as I can find them next to the ever encroaching wall of orange.

Yeah, but what's the fuzzy chunky stuff hanging off the outside circumference of those fibre wavy-gravy endcaps? Paper filter, what's it rated, 40 micron nominal? Not so good, adequate, if thats good enough. Those chunks and fuzzies from the fiber endcaps dropping into the oil should be trapped by the media, right? Or at least, most of it?

I realize you're all gooey over the $2.00 ecore, Bill, but shouldn't you have shaved all the fuzzies and chunks off the outside edges of the endcaps before you posted the pics? The fiber, the plastic, the debris in the oil, man, it just isn't for me..

Funny thing about steel endcaps..No fuzz in the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
Yeah, but what's the fuzzy chunky stuff hanging off the outside circumference of those fibre wavy-gravy endcaps? Paper filter, what's it rated, 40 micron nominal? Not so good, adequate, if thats good enough. Those chunks and fuzzies from the fiber endcaps dropping into the oil should be trapped by the media, right? Or at least, most of it?

I realize you're all gooey over the $2.00 ecore, Bill, but shouldn't you have shaved all the fuzzies and chunks off the outside edges of the endcaps before you posted the pics? The fiber, the plastic, the debris in the oil, man, it just isn't for me..

Funny thing about steel endcaps..No fuzz in the oil.

First of all, the fuzzies are no problem since they are on the good side of the filter (ie before the filter) and they are just the edge of the filter where the cutter was. You can not pull anything off.

Your just seeing the oil on those edges. The camera shows that.

Nothing is loose for the filter to even catch.

Also, I would NEVER doctor or mis state ANY thing I post on this board.

How would that benfit anyone?
confused.gif

I'm not that type of guy. My word is gold. It's gotten me thru life safe and sound.

I can tell you, nothing is going thru the filter.

Fine, Spend your $$ for more expensive stuff!

But, your wasting the $$. IMO....

My engines for the past 30 years make it as far as I wanted them to go. (ie 200k++) And they run excellent, don't burn oil, pass smog and don't require teardowns to fix problems if the MFG did their job correctly.

Wonder how that happens with such crappy oil and filters I've used in the past?? (IE Fram, Valvoline, Halvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol and QS Conventional oils)

And I'm really wondering about your "clean up" the filter before taking the photos statement...
nono.gif

I post FACTS.

Bill

PS: I guess sharing stuff here is a no-no unless it's a $12 filter or $6 quart of oil.... Sad..

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
You are one determined guy, Bill.

I just want to show others what ACTUAL stuff looks like after use.

Not just post opinions...

I like to "share"
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bowser:
Nice Job!

Bowser

Thanks!

It's a 4.8l V8 in a 2000 Silverado ext cab 4x4 pickup (I posted a few photos of it in the photos area)

There will be a UOA soon. I mailed off a sample yesterday to Blackstone.

The element is "Synthetic fiber-enhanced media".
dunno.gif

Single pass effciency is 98% using SAE test HS806. A search on that test got this;

SAE HS806 test per Amsoil

And Fram has some thoughts on this test here;

Frams SAE words (scroll down)

(I hate posting links to mfg...) Sorry..

But it is interesting that using the same test, Supertech is 98% and the Purolator Premium Plus is 96%... (both on SAE test performed at their test lab..)
dunno.gif

But all I know is I've got many miles over the road using Frams, Supertechs, Purolator and such with never a bad filter (I cut open everyone) or UOA...
cheers.gif

The only reason why I don't use Frams anymore is I've found something that does the job as well for a better price. Plus I do like the endcaps being metal or the Ecore fabric than cardboard (even though I've NEVER had a problem..)

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I'm thinking the the percentage numbers you are seeing are based on a particular particle size as well, which is not necessarily mentioned in your post. A more meaningful comparison would be to state the efficiency in percentage @ a certain particle size. For example, I noticed that Amsoil comes out and says their new EaO oil filters are 98.7% efficient at 15 microns. I would imagine that the SuperTech is 98% efficient at a much larger particle size. As to whether the added cost is worth the extra money, depends on several factors. I personally like the SuperTech filters and they definitely have their use in certain situations- most recently, during some ARX cleaning...

Thanks Bill,
Since I have been lurking a while at BITOG and recently joined the forum I have have switched from using Fram filters and am now stocking up on Supertech, largely as a result of your posts and pictures, also Filterguy has influenced my thinking, plus a few others here as well. I, too, have never had a problem from using Fram with cheap dino oils over the past 30+ years, but when I can get just as good for cheaper I have no qualms going that route. Thanks again for your persistence.
Joe

Once again, good pix, Bill! Thanks for posting, & be assured that at least *some*(I'd bet almost all) of us trust you to show unaltered filters as they really are after "surgery".
wink.gif
cheers.gif

For those who doubt, a question- Is Bill trying to sell you anything? Answer- Nope! He's just minding his own business, with his vehicles doing great on cheap oil & filters, & sharing some information. Again, Thanks Bill.
patriot.gif

Sure are lotsa stores & companies trying to sell us high-$$ oil & filters, though. Hmm...
grin.gif

I "think" the 98% on the Super Tech box is a weighted average efficiency.

If you want to know the nominal or absolute rating call Champ..1-800-882-0890.....
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:

quote:

Originally posted by Bowser:
Nice Job!

Bowser

Thanks!

It's a 4.8l V8 in a 2000 Silverado ext cab 4x4 pickup (I posted a few photos of it in the photos area)

There will be a UOA soon. I mailed off a sample yesterday to Blackstone.

The element is "Synthetic fiber-enhanced media".
dunno.gif

Single pass effciency is 98% using SAE test HS806. A search on that test got this;

SAE HS806 test per Amsoil

I wonder why the Wix and NAPA Gold don't test equally since conventional wisdom says they're identical?

I had just cut open an AC Delco filter from a Saturn(pic of dirty element in additives section) and the construction was identical to what you have posted here for the supertech. I had some distortion, but no holes after 1800 miles of Auto Rx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back