SuperTech oil packaging

" oil bottle was crammed in an oil passage that fed the valvetrain." That implies in the pressure feed.
Obviously, an imprecise description of what was found. I'll believe a piece of foil made it into the valvetrain but that's about it.

I found the video again, at 16min, he starts talking about, what he found. He's in upstate new york, so it's possible the foil came up through the bypass during a cold start especially if the guy had been using that Lucas stuff.

" oil bottle was crammed in an oil passage that fed the valvetrain." That implies in the pressure feed.
Sounds like he's just as curious how it got there as anyone, but the fact that it's hard to explain doesn't change the fact that it was there. What's the point microanalyzing or casting doubt on the man.. why would he lie about something like this?

Does Hyundai not use a screen on the pressure feed intake in the sump. How would it get in?

Probably a assembly error or something made for the internet.

Does Hyundai not use a screen on the pressure feed intake in the sump. How would it get in?

Probably a assembly error or something made for the internet.
The oil change was on a Mitsubishi, and it was a story 16minutes into a 20 minute video that wasn't the main focus of the video, I highly doubt he made it up.

Their easy pour jug design is truly awesome, I wish more manufacturers would do this. I've gone so far as keeping my Valvoline jug and pouring all my new oil into that for use instead.
Why not just use Valvoline full time instead of pouring other stuff in the bottle ?

Just did a change w kirkland 0w20. I take my pocket knife and make a slit from north till south, then tear each half one at a time rounding the bottle opening. It's not rocket science but it takes care. If you're that haphazard buy the valvoline jugs or the individual m1 quarts.

Way back in the Cretaceous Era when we used these there were no such problems.
View attachment 53437
"Cretaceous"..... Yes. In that day I was the car/truck washer, lube guy, gas pumper windshield cleaner, restroom janitor, etc. in the Humble station in our town. I remember wearing out the little cutter spear in one of these. They worked really well: stab can, flip it upside down in the oil filler hole, check one tire air pressure, grab it by the spout and whack the can on your 55gal trash can to dislodge the empty, repeat....... It made for a fast lube job. The slowest part was the grease zerts. Somewhere between 10 and 22 (Cadillac sedan) per car. Busy, kept a boy out of the pool hall......

I just went through this with the new fancy 20K mile Supertech synthetic 5w30 so it's still the same on their 'high-end' product. LOL!

LIke said above, I forget when ST switched from a foil or thicker cardboard type seal, but it's been awhile.

Every time I deal with this current bottle seal design I say I'm buying a funnel with a screen in it, but I always forget to get one.

Based on the "green light" I got here, I went ahead and bought SuperTech 0W-20 for my most recent 4Runner oil change.

I'm happy to save some money on this job, since the maintenance schedule dictates I change the oil & filter every 5000 miles (lots of driving on dusty dirt roads). :rolleyes:

However, I wasn't pleased with the seals on the 5-quart and one-quart jugs I got. Removing the screw top revealed a glued-on paper cover. Which should be no big deal. But on both jugs, the paper separated from a plastic layer that stayed glued. That plastic layer was so thin I couldn't simply peel it off. It tore into pieces that I had to remove very carefully so no bits fell into the oil.

Has anyone else buying ST encountered this? A little bit of plastic getting into the oil is unlikely to be catastrophic, but I'd rather not introduce any foreign matter into the system.
View attachment 53301

View attachment 53302
I have had the same issue. I use my pocket knife to remove the seal.

I dealt with that insult to humanity on some quarts of ATF. I poked a hole in it, poured, and then it started to seperate, throwing ATF out and making a mess.

It's the little things you know, like that new squirt top on the ketchup bottles that requires like 20 lbs of squeeze pressure to get flow, then it shoots out like a water pistol.

"Cretaceous"..... Yes. In that day I was the car/truck washer, lube guy, gas pumper windshield cleaner, restroom janitor, etc. in the Humble station in our town. I remember wearing out the little cutter spear in one of these. They worked really well: stab can, flip it upside down in the oil filler hole, check one tire air pressure, grab it by the spout and whack the can on your 55gal trash can to dislodge the empty, repeat....... It made for a fast lube job. The slowest part was the grease zerts. Somewhere between 10 and 22 (Cadillac sedan) per car. Busy, kept a boy out of the pool hall......
Remember those quite well!

Back