SuperTech oil packaging

I use various brands, these type seals seem common to them all. Some are more annoying than others but you always have to be careful with it.

Based on the "green light" I got here, I went ahead and bought SuperTech 0W-20 for my most recent 4Runner oil change.

I'm happy to save some money on this job, since the maintenance schedule dictates I change the oil & filter every 5000 miles (lots of driving on dusty dirt roads). :rolleyes:

However, I wasn't pleased with the seals on the 5-quart and one-quart jugs I got. Removing the screw top revealed a glued-on paper cover. Which should be no big deal. But on both jugs, the paper separated from a plastic layer that stayed glued. That plastic layer was so thin I couldn't simply peel it off. It tore into pieces that I had to remove very carefully so no bits fell into the oil.

Has anyone else buying ST encountered this? A little bit of plastic getting into the oil is unlikely to be catastrophic, but I'd rather not introduce any foreign matter into the system.
View attachment 53301

View attachment 53302
I took a funnel(metal) and added a fine screen to it so I don’t have that problem

I thought it was a nutcase who put cyanide in a bunch of Tylenol capsules and put the bottles back on drug store shelves.

True .. .

Interestingly... It was someone who wanted to kill someone related to them... And they knew if... It only happened to that person then it would be far easier for people to figure out what happened... Thus why that person put so many poisoned extra Tylenol bottles on the shelves.... To attempt to throw off criminal investigators.

Yeah, I don't like the foil either. There has to be a better way. The Valvoline easy pour (or whatever) is about the only decent one.
I usually buy the basic Quaker State synthetic and I've never had this problem with their jugs. They have the plastic screw-on caps with the bottom part that pulls off when the cap is unscrewed. Like bottled water or soft drinks have. So you can tell if it's factory-sealed or not.

But QS seemed to be sold out locally when I was prepping for this oil change. So that was another reason I tried the ST.

That is one reason they say don't prefill oil filters.
The plastic could be bad if you do.

I take a knife and make a small incision on the bottom and top of the seals to create pour and air holes, then pour the oil slowly with those style seals. I haven't had any noticeable plastic escape the seal as there are no loose ends with this method.

It was not always this way, it used to be a foil seal. About a year ago I noticed the change and after the same problem you experienced with the thin plastic tearing and worried about it falling in the jug I started using a pocket knife. cut most of the way around and grab the seal and then finish the cut. If you try and pull it off after cutting you get the same stretched plastic bits.

I've noticed the same thing. It's a little annoying and I just try my best to cut the film off with my knife before pouring. What I've learned to do now is just use the knife to cut the inside perimeter of the hole instead of peeling the paper top seal.
Bingo, this is exactly my method on seals like this.

I was recently annoyed by 8 Kendall GT-1 Max quart bottles where the little plastic tab used to remove the seal broke on every single bottle.

Their easy pour jug design is truly awesome, I wish more manufacturers would do this.
Good enough to get a patent! Not sure if the one below is the right one, it looks like they have several on just the bottle.

Five quart bottle

Patent number: D882405
Type: Grant
Filed: October 1, 2016
Date of Patent: April 28, 2020
Assignee: Valvoline Licensing and Intellectual Property, LLC
Inventors: Joseph A. Kasper, Steven B. Ruble

I watched a video from South Main Auto a few days ago and he was changing his oil and he brought up that one time this lady brought a car in and the valve train was clattering pretty bad and I think she just wanted him to change the oil and Lucas as the previous owner did and he convinced her to let him look into it and what he found was a piece of that laminated foil of an oil bottle was crammed in an oil passage that fed the valvetrain.
Any idea on HOW this huge piece got past the oil filter. Or was this car so poorly maintained the oil filter was split or plugged and in bypass. In which case the plugged passage was a symptom. This is exactly the sort of thing I tend to doubt when I see it.

Rod

Any idea on HOW this huge piece got past the oil filter. Or was this car so poorly maintained the oil filter was split or plugged and in bypass. In which case the plugged passage was a symptom. This is exactly the sort of thing I tend to doubt when I see it.

Rod
Never has to make it to the oil filter - just into the valvetrain where you fill the engine with oil.

Way back in the Cretaceous Era when we used these there were no such problems.
1617976063763.jpg

Rod
Most cars when you pour oil in, you pour it into a the valve cover not straight into the pan.

Back