SuperTech 5W30, Jeep 4.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd appreciate some input on this analysis.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4.7 L
Odometer - 56,412 (34,975 miles)
5490 km (3400 miles) on sample
5490 km on SuperTech filter
No make up-oil.

Silicon 6.7
Potassium 0.5
Sodium 6.9
Fuel(%) Glycol (%) Water (%) Sulfation 49
Nitration 43
Iron 14
Nickel 0.8
Chromium 1.2
Titanium 0.0
Copper 10
Aluminum 3.9
Tin 0.0
Lead 0.0
Silver 0.0
Boron 12
Barium 0.1
Calcium 1720
Magnesium 158
Molybdenum 7.0
Sodium 6.9
Phosphorus 724
Sulfur 2384
Zinc 873
Visc@100ºC 9.8
Oxidation 49

Analysis by Wearcheck Labs
This is no indication of contamination in the component.
All component wear rates are normal
The condition of the oil is acceptable for the time in service.

Looks good. I wish they would have a more precise fuel measurement. Are they saying you might have 1.9% fuel dilution, or do they just not measure any farther down than 2%?

if the fuel reading is right that is not that good, as well as oxidation

but aside from that is not that bad a report

I'm not sure about the if they measure the fuel dilution less than 2%. I can contact them.
How can you tell if the oil has thinned to a lighter weight?

Sulfation 49
Nitration 43
Oxidation 49

Assuming that they're using the same scale that Terry Dyson uses, these are outside of his preferred range. I'm still foggy on the whole background mechanisms thing involved them.

No flashpoint. It's a good indicator of fuel dilution.

Thanks for the chart.
I'll email WearCheck about the other things.

It seems that the general consensus is that SuperTech isn't very good oil.

There's nothing out of whack there that needs to be taken too seriously. We're very critical here.

95% of people put any oil in their vehicle and don't really care about it.What look on peoples' faces do you get when you told them you sent an oil sample of your care into a lab?Do they look like their brain just shorted out?Because this concept is so far removed from their usual day to day thinking that oil testing is like seeing a flying saucer...doesn't register right away.If you are testing your oil then go to a quality synthetic on the next test and see what happens for fun.Because mostly we are doing this for amusement to a lube nut gene in our make-up
crazy2.gif
banana2.gif
19.gif

Last edited:
Nothing is alarming but for the milage the oil did not hold up well! Try Havoline 5W30 and I bet you will see a huge improvment. SuperTech is a weak oil at best!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Nothing is alarming but for the milage the oil did not hold up well! Try Havoline 5W30 and I bet you will see a huge improvment. SuperTech is a weak oil at best!

What? Wear is low, viscosity is solid. Weak oil at best? I love it...Walmart's house brand sludge consistently posts stellar results.

The only thing with ST oil is that you never know what your getting until there is a UOA. This one seem pretty good in the add package compared to some of the other ST UOA's that I have read here. Ca Mg Zn Ph all look better than what I seen lately from ST

What I should have said is: I trust other brands of oil more than ST due to their more consistant UOA's and add packages from batch to batch vehicle to vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning

What? Wear is low, viscosity is solid.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Magnatic
I'm not sure about the if they measure the fuel dilution less than 2%. I can contact them.
How can you tell if the oil has thinned to a lighter weight?

If you ask Wearcheck Canada to do a more precise fuel dilution test, they will do it, I've had this done in the past with them, and they'll report it in half percent increments (I've often had it done and gotten 0.5% fuel for instance)

I found it takes about an extra day to get the results though, so I haven't bothered asking them to do the more precise fuel dilution test lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back